Chestnuts

hardwoodshall

I planted four last year but got them late and they didn't grow much but are still alive. I also planted three this year and will posibly get a couple more. I think I'm gonna cage mine and hope this rain will get them growing. also I have one that has stump sprouted and the sprout looks really vigorous while the original stem barely grew. would you leave the thriving sucker or leave the original trunk or leave them both and prune whichever is better next winter.

shakey gizzard

I planted four last year but got them late and they didn't grow much but are still alive. I also planted three this year and will posibly get a couple more. I think I'm gonna cage mine and hope this rain will get them growing. also I have one that has stump sprouted and the sprout looks really vigorous while the original stem barely grew. would you leave the thriving sucker or leave the original trunk or leave them both and prune whichever is better next winter.

Picture would help!:)

2 UP

I planted 6 this wekend and have room for 1 more. I bought another but it will be a couple weeks before I can get down there to plant it. Should I keep it in the garge at night and put it in the sun during the day, or leave it in the garage to keep it dormant?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would keep it in the garage with the soil slightly moist. If you move it back and forth to the sun, it may start budding, and I don't think you would want that right now. I am considering pruning mine back now to try and force the root system to develop better before it has to support all that upper growth. Thoughts?

shakey gizzard

I would keep it in the garage with the soil slightly moist. If you move it back and forth to the sun, it may start budding, and I don't think you would want that right now. I am considering pruning mine back now to try and force the root system to develop better before it has to support all that upper growth. Thoughts?

Some triple/super phosphate in the planting hole will help too!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have some triple phos but already planted the trees. Can I broadcast it around them and do any good? I don't want to cause a lot of top growth on them early.

shakey gizzard

I have some triple phos but already planted the trees. Can I broadcast it around them and do any good? I don't want to cause a lot of top growth on them early.

Give it to em! With any transplants, water is crucial the first year till their established! jmo

2 UP

I think thats what I'll do. I've put it the last couple pretty days. Back to the garage.

Pilgrim

Finally got my 4 in the ground yesterday! :cool:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
anyone's trees putting out buds yet? It is a little cold for them yet here, but I was wondering about the southern tier of counties, perhaps they have had enough warm weather there.

hardwoodshall

Checked a couple I planted last year and one I planted this year while out today in crisp county and the buds aren't even greening up yet but the Chinese chestnut buds are already beginning to green up and some are even beginning to open.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
freeze warning here tonight. I am glad mine are not budding yet. I am ready for spring and some gardening.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Mine from last year are putting out leaves and looking good. The ones I planted this year are not putting out any growth yet, but there are lots of buds on the limbs. I think the late winter helped them. They were dormant longer and that should give the root system a better chance of supporting the tree this summer.

2 UP

Mine are about the same. I planted 7 from WalMart in late Feb. One had started to leaf out. The others are close.

The mtn man

I don't know if anyone is up to date on forrest service restoring chestnuts, I was on some fs land around lake nottley in union county, doin some turkey huntin, it appears, some have been set out in some new clear cuts. I'm not sure if they were chestnuts, but they sure look like it,

hardwoodshall

My three fin last year and my three from this year all are budding and putting on leaves now. Does any one know what time of year you would see blooms? They form on new growth right?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Mine are putting out leaves now. A few small ones about the size of a grape. They bloom in the springtime. If I remember correctly, late April or so. You probably won't see any blooms for about 3 years.

pine nut

Checked mine yesterday near Cleveland, and they have not leafed out yet. One of the three has leaf buds that are nearing opening but still small. The other two have green under their outer bark but not yet budding. Apple trees nearby are leafing out about the size of a dime. Everyone still seems to be alive at least. Thankfully!

Latest posts