Classifieds Ammo Pricing?

Buddrow

Just because folks are selling for high prices doesn't mean folks are buying. I was/am selling some HST for a decent price. No bites. Well what I consider decent compared to gunbroker or what ive found on google.

gunnurse

If someone is willing to pay it, then great. It is supply and demand. That is capitalism.

These people that do nothing but arbitrage products like ammo, Xboxes (going for anywhere from 1.25-2.X cost right now), and hand sanitizer (during the start of the pandemic) in my opinion are just tools, and are driving the cost up for the rest of us.

I'm sure some of them have inside channels to get ammo too...makes me want to kneecap them...

I just hope when they go to the emergency room that the attendant asks them what they are willing to pay to see the ER doc...

During the beginnings of the plandemic, two brothers went around two states and bought up all of the bottles of hand sanitizers that Dollar Tree had. The State of Tennessee tried to prosecute them for trying to sell them for $5.00/bottle. Yet, the State of Tennessee looked the other way when retailers around the state priced the same size bottles at $9.99/bottle. They were “kind enough” to donate the entire remaining stock to “charity.”

If you don’t like capitalism, too bad. Make a law that everyone HAS to sell any home that they have lived in for less than what they bought it for. It is used, after all. If you don’t like what I charge for the widgets that I make, go widget-less. But, don’t condemn me for not being able to buy my Wonderful Widgets because you chose to take the “high road” and sell your home at a net loss. And besides, you sometimes have to see an ER doc. Nobody has ever nor will ever die from not having a solid supply of widgets.

Tight Lines

During the beginnings of the plandemic, two brothers went around two states and bought up all of the bottles of hand sanitizers that Dollar Tree had. The State of Tennessee tried to prosecute them for trying to sell them for $5.00/bottle. Yet, the State of Tennessee looked the other way when retailers around the state priced the same size bottles at $9.99/bottle. They were “kind enough” to donate the entire remaining stock to “charity.”

If you don’t like capitalism, too bad. Make a law that everyone HAS to sell any home that they have lived in for less than what they bought it for. It is used, after all. If you don’t like what I charge for the widgets that I make, go widget-less. But, don’t condemn me for not being able to buy my Wonderful Widgets because you chose to take the “high road” and sell your home at a net loss. And besides, you sometimes have to see an ER doc. Nobody has ever nor will ever die from not having a solid supply of widgets.

Totally missed my point. I am the most capitalistic person you'll ever meet. I've started and run several companies...I know what capitalism is and how to compete.

And I don't have an issue with people making money, and if they can get someone to buy it, great, good for them, bad for the buyer, maybe.

What I despise are the traders, the arbitragers, the people whose sole goal is to buy low and sell high, without adding any value, because they can.

Your examples are nonsensical...I will sell my house for exactly what the market will bear and what the appraisers say it is worth.

The difference here is that demand is off the charts, and the more the demand increases, the more the prices go up...so the arbitragers are actually driving the prices up and then benefiting from them going up...all while adding no value. The problem is, and precisely why the arbitragers are doing this, there is no alternative. There is no steady supply of ammunition at reasonable prices. If there were, then all of the capitalism discussions hold water...

Now, if someone wants to unload some here and there from their stash, then so be it...that isn't who I am talking about...

It's the same thing with plywood, generators, fuel tanks, etc. when there is a hurricane...and why there are anti-gouging laws...

There will never be anti-gouging laws for ammo though... :)

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
What I despise are the traders, the arbitragers, the people whose sole goal is to buy low and sell high, without adding any value, because they can.
I guess you don’t invest in stocks? My sole goal is to buy low and sell high without adding any value. Should I sell my silver for $18/ounce,average price paid, or would it be wrong of me to sell it for the $27/ounce that it’s worth?

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Just sitting on the pile that I began building when Slick Willie was da prez, and watching the insanity unfold...:pop:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Should I sell a house I built in 1988 for what it cost me to build??
Naaaa I would ask market price I think.

tr21

Your examples are nonsensical...I will sell my house for exactly what the market will bear and what the appraisers say it is worth.

The difference here is that demand is off the charts, and the more the demand increases, the more the prices go up...so the arbitragers are actually driving the prices up and then benefiting from them going up...all while adding no value. The problem is, and precisely why the arbitragers are doing this, there is no alternative. There is no steady supply of ammunition at reasonable prices. If there were, then all of the capitalism discussions hold water...
so your the reason for the collapse of the housing market ! i'm sure your house is so great that it's going to add value to the market when you sell it. and i'm sure if there is a bidding war among the buyers, your not going to sell higher than what it appraised for are you ?

tr21

I guess you don’t invest in stocks? My sole goal is to buy low and sell high without adding any value. Should I sell my silver for $18/ounce,average price paid, or would it be wrong of me to sell it for the $27/ounce that it’s worth?
i'd sell it for $30 if someone will give it to me !!!! but i'm deplorable like that !

BeerThirty

Huge difference IMO. Investing in the stock market is inherently a risk, everyone knows that. If you buy low and sell high, you're only stickin it to other investors who were fully aware they were taking a risk to begin with.

BeerThirty

Some really good people are getting hosed by this situation, too. I know a guy who is trying to get into hunting with his daughter for the first time. He wants to buy new rifles for both of them. I've been trying to help him look around, but the selection is scarce at best. Then, if you find the gun, finding the ammo is a completely different story.

And all for what? So Mr. Neckbeard can add to his 20k round arsenal to save the world in the next civil war? Or so Mr. retired vet standing in line at Academy 2hrs before they open can flip 3 boxes of ammo cuz he has nothing better to do? give me a break.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Should I sell a house I built in 1988 for what it cost me to build??
Naaaa I would ask market price I think.
I don't think that's quite the same as running out to Walmart every morning and buying up every brick of .22 shells they have for $18, then taking them straight to the gun show and selling them for $100.

But, as long as people keep paying outrageous prices for ammo, the prices will stay outrageous. When folks refuse to pay the high prices and realize that they don't have to own every box of shells they see in the store, the price will come down.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I don't think that's quite the same as running out to Walmart every morning and buying up every brick of .22 shells they have for $18, then taking them straight to the gun show and selling them for $100.

But, as long as people keep paying outrageous prices for ammo, the prices will stay outrageous. When folks refuse to pay the high prices and realize that they don't have to own every box of shells they see in the store, the price will come down.
Gunbroker is mostly auctions. People are CHOOSING to pay those prices. Until that stops nothing will change.

Hillbilly stalker

This is what has been wrong with America for awhile now. Me Me Me !!! When you care more about your wallet and bank account getting fat then your neighbors, we suffer as a group. Nothing wrong with saving up some ammo for a rainy day or your grandkids. Going to the store and raping the shelves of any caliber available is disgraceful. Buying everything available on line with the intent of jacking up the prices and putting the screws to other sportsmen and hunters is deplorable. I hope they choke in it. I don’t usually talk like that, but that junk really gets my goat. GREED !!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Gunbroker is mostly auctions. People are CHOOSING to pay those prices. Until that stops nothing will change.
One main problem is that people now think they absolutely have to buy every single box of ammo that they see, no matter the price. Just because it's there. Or nevermind that they already have 5,000,000 rounds packed up back in their bunker that will never see the light of day.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
An item is worth EXACTLY what someone is willing to pay for it.
In times like these demand outweighs supply and prices are set to match that difference. Nobody is forced to pay more than they are willing to pay. The prices are this high now because some people are willing to pay those prices. When that stops the prices will drop.
It is hard to gouge the willing.