Committee prediction thread

dirtnap

The committee was put in a terrible position by the rules they were given. Is FSU a top 4 team? Maybe. Is Texas a top 4 team? Maybe. Is Alabama? Maybe. Is Washington? Probably not. There should already be an expanded playoff so they don’t have to choose

bullgator

The committee was put in a terrible position by the rules they were given. Is FSU a top 4 team? Maybe. Is Texas a top 4 team? Maybe. Is Alabama? Maybe. Is Washington? Probably not. There should already be an expanded playoff so they don’t have to choose
I’m okay with a 6 team playoff. Teams #1&2 can sit out the first week. Any more teams than that are a cluster and it will take a month of playoffs, which is ridiculous. A committee should be able to get the best team in the country with 6 choices.

Barfolomew

It’s just money. Leaving SEC out would have been bad business decision. Still I can’t believe they did what they did. As a coach/player, your team went undefeated and won the conference championship and you don’t get to partake in playoffs. Just wow.
Called it and yes, this is ultimately the reason Bama is in, to get TV ratings and not annoy the conference with the most money and the most investment by ESPN.

It's hard for me to understand why Bama is in over UGA or FSU but behind Texas. I could have seen UGA in over Texas possibly, but putting Texas and Bama in over FSU is ludicrous to me. QB1 or not. The committee isn't there to predict based on injuries, they are supposed to put the 4 best teams in. It's hard for me to believe that Texas or Bama are better than FSU and UGA. Bama will get beat in the next round...because at 4 they play 1 right? 2 plays 3? FSU gut punked this year, UGA lost, and Saban got a retirement gift.

The committee has proven time and time again that early losses don't really matter; therefore Bama is functionally undefeated as far as the committee is concerned. UGA just lost to Bama, so Bama is automatically over UGA.

Texas is big TV rating as well and will travel. As they beat Bama, a team that ESPN clearly wants in the playoff and just won their conference, Texas is in and a higher seed, otherwise it looks even more screwy that it already is.

We end up with (and next year's conferences):

Michigan (Big 10) vs Bama (SEC)
Washington (Big 10) vs Texas (SEC)

Big 10 is on Fox, NBC and CBS
SEC is on ESPN/ABC

ACC has a crap, really long term deal with ESPN.

Clemson, FSU and Miami are probably shopping around for where they land. In the next 4 years, the playoff will Big 10 and SEC and 2 at large bids from everyone else.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Starring FSU’s 6th string QB haha. What a bloodshed it will be.
It should be a good game if you boys really feel like FSU should be in the Playoffs.

weagle

harbaw should be water boarded until he confesses

georgia takes that spot
Yep the tv guys harping on "the best 4" as the reason to exclude FSU just gloss right over the fact that the dogs would be favored against any team that is in the playoff, including bama. I'm not arguing that they should be in, but making "the best 4" argument is plain stupid.

greendawg

Michigan, Washington and FSU played their way in. I could make a valid argument for either Bama or TX to get the last slot so they could flip a coin and be fair: TX beat Bama head to head, but that was forever ago they had a bad loss to K State along the way. Bama beat an undefeated #1 in the championship game.

As far as FSU; if defense wins championships they may win the whole thing.
Texas lost to Oklahoma and barely beat kState.

James12

SEC/ESPN too much money to leave em out, and essentially they have two teams in now anyways. FSU and others should’ve joined years ago.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
SEC/ESPN too much money to leave em out, and essentially they have two teams in now anyways. FSU and others should’ve joined years ago.
You wouldn’t have finished 13-0.. ;)

greendawg

And played the lowest ranked team in conference championship right? Or was that Louisville?
I think Ok State was #15 or so before losing and Louisville was #12. That's off the top of my head and I remember meaningless things pretty well, so it's probably right.

Tight Lines

Called it and yes, this is ultimately the reason Bama is in, to get TV ratings and not annoy the conference with the most money and the most investment by ESPN.

The committee has proven time and time again that early losses don't really matter; therefore Bama is functionally undefeated as far as the committee is concerned. UGA just lost to Bama, so Bama is automatically over UGA.

Texas is big TV rating as well and will travel. As they beat Bama, a team that ESPN clearly wants in the playoff and just won their conference, Texas is in and a higher seed, otherwise it looks even more screwy that it already is.

We end up with (and next year's conferences):

Michigan (Big 10) vs Bama (SEC)
Washington (Big 10) vs Texas (SEC)

Big 10 is on Fox, NBC and CBS
SEC is on ESPN/ABC

ACC has a crap, really long term deal with ESPN.

Clemson, FSU and Miami are probably shopping around for where they land. In the next 4 years, the playoff will Big 10 and SEC and 2 at large bids from everyone else.
Probably the most logical assessment I've read, thank you. I still think FSU got shafted...and I'm not an FSU fan per se.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So let’s stick with that. Records matter. Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Liberty.
Sounds good to me. Don’t like it? Ok. Why is a team like Liberty in the FBS? Why isn’t their entire conference in the FCS?

Tell me, what time does the swimsuit competition air? I don’t want to miss that. That’s probably the determining factor in who gets in.

Update: All the kewl kids are in. The nerds are out. I hope this helps.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Sounds good to me. Don’t like it? Ok. Why is a team like Liberty in the FBS? Why isn’t their entire conference in the FCS?

Tell me, what time does the swimsuit competition air? I don’t want to miss that. That’s probably the determining factor in who gets in.

Update: All the kewl kids are in. The nerds are out. I hope this helps.

I actually did want FSU and Liberty in. It was the only way to be consistent. Both would have gotten destroyed in round one.