Crawfish Farm Progress...

Mexican Squealer

The molt is a blessing and curse…it’s a blessing to get to fry up the soft shells and a curse if your catch % is heavy in ‘em due to dead loss. Nobody wants to buy dead crawfish and I don’t want to sell anyone dead crawfish. These cold snaps and other factors make them molt…young ones generally double in size with each molt. One year olds may molt up to 8-10 times during season. Less their second (3-4 times) year and less often as they mature. They can double in size after molting. The oily, rich sheen on the water is a result of the molt. Next time you are around a ditch, swamp or place that may have crawfish, look for it. Not the pollen but the sheen the pollen settles in. Once you get used to looking at it, you can ID solid crawfishing waters…6D6C1778-4511-48E7-A352-DC9316B202BA.jpeg253FBC1B-F1EC-4C35-9FF9-93BCDFD4E3EB.jpeg38188575-3AA6-45B0-8ABF-4CD1F6CAF152.jpeg

Last edited:

Mexican Squealer

Dang, those are lobsters....
It’s strange how much the consistent size varies each day….some days you catch mediums and some days they are giants. Catch also varies from pond to pond with no rhyme or reason…days you load up on the big ones are cool but from a consumer standpoint, you will yield more meat out of a sack of small/medium than you will from a sack of jumbos.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Heck yeah ! Best eating size for sure . Can you eat it with alpha gal ? And has the symptoms eased up any ? I think about you and @ryork often . Can’t even begin to imagine what it’s like . From what I’ve read on it , it can pretty much go away I think , if so I hope it does for you both

Mexican Squealer

@antharper thankfully, I can eat it and I love it! My alpha gal levels are higher than when I was diagnosed unfortunately. Dr in VA I go to said that many believe it goes away simply because you may not react every time. He says you can eat meat, not react, proclaim you are cured then drop dead on the next meal. My wife is a nurse and saw this
exact scenario happen with one of her favorite patients, two years before I got it. I come close to dying about once every month or two due to cross contamination. I still eat out and do irresponsible stuff that leads to those episodes. That’s my fault. The jacked up part is I get horrible gout…so I either load up on seafood and get gout or eat meat and die. At the end of the day, there are folks dealing with worse situations/issues. It’s all in Gods hands and I’m good with that. Thanks buddy, I appreciate your kind words!