Debate

buckpasser

There is nowhere on the interweb I’d rather be for outdoors information than the GON forum. That said, there seem to be less new threads that come up with topics not already covered at length. I post less questions these days because the search feature normally has several threads for anything you might be interested in. For example, my boss is interested in the possibility of adding cotton seed to our deer feeding program. There have been several threads with good info on that, so I studied up without asking for new opinions.

What bothers me is how quickly differing opinions on any new topic seem to immediately draw teams of people to be offended that the GON brotherhood isn’t like minded in every single way. Today there was even a (mostly absent) member that requested to be deleted because apparently he was so deeply offended about a long thread that had “negativity”. I know I do my fair share of pot stirring, but it’s not to be offensive. It’s to spark debate (and sometimes to entertain, hopefully). In my view there is no better way to hear others opinions and grow a more grounded version of your own, than to read a differing point of view. When we get a new topic, or a “current event” so to speak, I’m glad it’s there. I, for one, don’t mind being called out. Over the years I’ve discussed some differences with members such as @NCHillbilly, @across the river and @Spotlite, and guess what, I’ve gained from their perspectives that opposed mine. They stood their ground on the topic and for that I respect them.

Anyway, my apologies for the rant! I hope this forum has many more years of pleasure to provide us all, with great members and great information.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is nowhere on the interweb I’d rather be for outdoors information than the GON forum. That said, there seem to be less new threads that come up with topics not already covered at length. I post less questions these days because the search feature normally has several threads for anything you might be interested in. For example, my boss is interested in the possibility of adding cotton seed to our deer feeding program. There have been several threads with good info on that, so I studied up without asking for new opinions.

What bothers me is how quickly differing opinions on any new topic seem to immediately draw teams of people to be offended that the GON brotherhood isn’t like minded in every single way. Today there was even a (mostly absent) member that requested to be deleted because apparently he was so deeply offended about a long thread that had “negativity”. I know I do my fair share of pot stirring, but it’s not to be offensive. It’s to spark debate (and sometimes to entertain, hopefully). In my view there is no better way to hear others opinions and grow a more grounded version of your own, than to read a differing point of view. When we get a new topic, or a “current event” so to speak, I’m glad it’s there. I, for one, don’t mind being called out. Over the years I’ve discussed some differences with members such as @NCHillbilly, @across the river and @Spotlite, and guess what, I’ve gained from their perspectives that opposed mine. They stood their ground on the topic and for that I respect them.

Anyway, my apologies for the rant! I hope this forum has many more years of pleasure to provide us all, with great members and great information.
If anybody lets the internet get to them personally, they are taking it way too seriously anyway. If I'm thinking wrong, I want somebody to tell me so, and why they think so. They may be right, and I may be wrong. I never learned anything in an echo chamber. I think for the most part, folks here do a decent job at debating without getting seriously upset about it. I'll admit, I'm a stubborn old opinionated curmudgeon sometimes. But, I have also had my opinions about some things changed by discussions on here where I saw that I wasn't thinking about all sides of something, or maybe looking at it from the wrong angle. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge about all kinds of subjects on this board.

rugerfan

For me, I get on here to talk about hunting, ask questions at times, share some of the information I have learned from the experiences, and sometimes help new hunters. I myself have learned a bunch from things that have been posted on this forum.

I also get a kick out of stirring the pot occasionally, and yes I sometimes get my feathers ruffled, but this is a great forum with a wealth of knowledge. I would rather restart a conversation about some things then to just search for a topic. People change, their perspectives change, and I like to see that and know what changed their minds.

Some of the things that I have disliked in the past about this forum for the most part have gone away.

Hope that it has many years of life left.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I gotta disagree with this forum not being able to be enjoyed by everyone...

I am a case in point, because it's just the last couple years I have been active here, and I am by no means a "forum elder".

I have developed quite a few "forum buddies" here, and I ain't real easy to get along with sometimes...

I've been at odds with the powers that be, and been on their side, but the thing about this place is the overall goodwill that gets shown near daily.

This forum as a whole, has the best bullcrap detector of any I was ever on, and those who are full of it never last long. It's easy to see that there is a lot of wisdom here, on any subject you pick.

The rules are clear, this place is well policed, and I guess that's why GON has become the only "social media" I use.

If you want to discuss something here, somebody will be along shortly with good info.

If you wanna argue, have at it, but keep it civil, and don't get personal. Or be gone.

As for rehashing old topics, I am in favor, because there is always something new to be learned.

In short, this place IS here for anyone to enjoy and learn from, but a lot of us are old, and suck at political correctness, fluff and falderal...

I'll be here running my yap as long as I enjoy it, I'm booted, or the thing runs off in the woods and catches fire...

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This place has been a part of my every day life for almost 21 years now and unless the owners of the place turn the fire out I cant imagine that changing much.

Back when I made decisions here I was almost famous for saying "it aint for everyone" and now that I dont make decisions here I can say without question that "it aint for everyone".

Glenn

This place has been a part of my every day life for almost 21 years now and unless the owners of the place turn the fire out I cant imagine that changing much.

Back when I made decisions here I was almost famous for saying "it aint for everyone" and now that I dont make decisions here I can say without question that "it aint for everyone".

Been here just as long! Stopped posting/visiting for a little while, but I still comeback to see what is happening. Met alot of good people over the years from this forum.

Only thing that I don't like is not being able to share my photography on the photography forum because of the watermark issue. Other than that I still enjoy using the forum.

georgia_home

It’s the internet! Internet egos don’t agree or do, or something. Cases in point

ford vs Chevy … discuss!

wrong! They both stink and everyone knows the only truck is. Toyota! Or wait is it Fiat?

brown/down or trophy?

facing or back to property lines?

bait or no?

who gets the spot on public land ? First guy there today or guy who walked through in august scouting?

do dogs know where property lines are? Do people?

shoot ‘m in the air or let ‘m land?

Point is.. there’s always gonna be disagreement. This place is more civil than some.

taking a break is also an option, if things get to you.

Doug B.

I came in 2007 and you were an administrator. You were every bit as good as the administrators we have now. I'm glad that you stayed around. This place wouldn't be the same without you.

There are a lot of people that don't come around anymore and I miss a lot of them. There have been a lot more that have come over the years that makes this place great. There are others that are know it alls that we could do without but my point is it takes everybody to actually make this place.

There have been life long friends made right here. I suppose there have been life long enemies made as well. I for one would love to be here for a long time.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Debating on here is enlightening and I've learned a lot. Hopefully, somebody has learned something worthwhile from me in return.
Rude behavior is what the ignore button is for so that you don't have to see that members comments ever again if you don't want to. I'll be happy to demonstrate since I am the ignore button connoisseur.

pottydoc

If anybody lets the internet get to them personally, they are taking it way too seriously anyway. If I'm thinking wrong, I want somebody to tell me so, and why they think so. They may be right, and I may be wrong. I never learned anything in an echo chamber. I think for the most part, folks here do a decent job at debating without getting seriously upset about it. I'll admit, I'm a stubborn old opinionated curmudgeon sometimes. But, I have also had my opinions about some things changed by discussions on here where I saw that I wasn't thinking about all sides of something, or maybe looking at it from the wrong angle. There is an amazing wealth of knowledge about all kinds of subjects on this board.
This. ^ I like to do a little pot stirring occasionally, and don't mind at all if someone stirs it back. The internet is mostly entertainment for me, and for getting information of all kinds. I haven't ever, and will never, lose a minutes sleep over anything someone says on line. This place is actually waaaay better than any of the other 2-3 forums I visit frequently as far as people getting along. Heck, even the Yankees and democrats are welcome here. ??

Last edited:

slow motion

The older I get the more I try to steer away from conflict. If a thread starts to get confrontational I often times just stop reading it, have enough conflict in my daily business life already. That said I love the forum. Lots to learn and occasionally pass on a little tidbit of experience myself. Good folks too (met several people that I consider friends and like to think they feel the same). I even get to be silly on occasion without being too annoying. Lately I've been reading and posting to several of the other sub forums. Lots to do here. From learning how to break rocks and tanning hides, to spiritual needs, and everything in between. Maybe a bit off topic sorry to the OP if it doesn't quite fit. Just saying if you can't find something here you like the I don't think it's us. It's probably you.