Did you shoot anything today #2

B. White

Shot a few behind the house from the new-to-me model 640 today, since I had a couple of new 8" steel plates to break in. This is my first shrouded hammer revolver and I was pleasantly surprised. Trigger is smooth and you can definitely tell when you get to the point where it is about to fire, so it doesn't come as a shock. That was about all I was concerned with on this model. 357 was was as expected in this little thing. It doesn't want to jump out of your hand, but does want to plunge deeper in the web with every shot. Five in a row will let you know there is enough AA#7 in them with a mid-range load and there is no need to push the limit. I don't plan on winning any marksmanship trophies with it and I'm happy to hit the 8" plate at 12 yds. Hopefully it will tighten up with I get used to the sights, which is the only thing that doesn't feel natural. Front sight is pretty tall compared to the rear notch.

Adam5

Indoor GSSF league.
Third division of the day was MOS with a G34 and Holosun EPS with a 479 out of 500

Attachments

• IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1

Adam5

I got in a little fun time at the range after work. It was a welcome change after the GSSF practice I’ve been going lately.

Colt Gold Cup National Match, Glock 48 (My carry daily carry), Glock 42, Sig P239.

Attachments

• IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 4

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Shot a little bit of a lot of things today... M1, 44 Mag, LCP II, Sig P365, AR, muzzleloader, 35 Whelen, 22 rifle...

Finished up the last of the M1 loads I had rolled up... Need to load some more but I haven't yet accepted the price of IMR4064.

Tested three different loads in the 44 magnum... H110, as promised by others on these forums, breathes fire with a 240gr, even 10% below max load. Berry's plated bullets are just fine for a plinking round... Cast bullets are still leading, so that is an ongoing research project.

The CZ 457 shoots remarkably well with SK ammo... But it's still minute-of-squirrel-noggin with cheapo Aguila. CCI's are poor in comparison.

The muzzleloader works fine with 300 gr XTP's... As long as I use a magnum charge... I don't think I'm that angry at anything (or my shoulder).

Buddy brought his AR... That's the most I've shot one, which is odd considering I've got a build slowly going... I can see that this is going to be very fun...

And, finally, my 35 Whelen is still shooting exactly as it should, so I'll have to be humble and accept that the marginal (though effective) shot I made on a doe at the end of the season was completely shooter error.

All in all, it was a heck of a day at the range.

deerslayer357

Spent a little time on the rifle range this morning.
First was a 3 shot group at 300 yards in the wind. Shotgun shell was held up for reference- was a 3 1/8” group in spite of the winds.
Second was a single shot at 400- pretty happy overall- except now I gotta replace bolts because I blew the heads off of the bolts that go through the target. Since the 400 yard target was on the ground that was the end of the range trip for today.

Attachments

• IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2791.jpeg
    IMG_2791.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 15

deerslayer357

They were pulled through the hole in target- not shot- as far as how they were made I have no clue.

Last edited:

Adam5

I shot the GSSF Ballistic Challenge at Riverbend today. I pretty much finished mid pack. I tried to run my MOS too fast and one miss and a couple bad hits messed up my score.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.png
    IMG_2055.png
    65 KB · Views: 3

Adam5

I went by GA Firing Line after work and zeroed the red dots on my Winchester Wildcat .22 and my Ruger 10/22 Charger SBR. It also gave me a chance to play with my suppressor.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I shot the GSSF Ballistic Challenge at Riverbend today. I pretty much finished mid pack. I tried to run my MOS too fast and one miss and a couple bad hits messed up my score.

I've never tried any type of competitive shooting but could imagine that may be a common issue.

I find myself getting on the trigger at a much faster pace when I'm shooting a red-dot equipped gun. I see that dot hover over target and I start applying pressure without thinking about it.

Seems like every time I try to slow it down and try for sheer accuracy, like the bullseye shooters do....I have to fight the desire to shoot when that dot sweeps over the X.

I'm interested in hearing how you are able to intentionally slow your roll. I need to do the same.

I figured even with my smallish / thin G48 that I would go about it slow and deliberate. Yeah, that didn't happen. :rofl: See dot, bang, see do-bang, see-bang, etc. :biggestshoot:

Maybe I'll force some drills where I only load a single round in each mag. Even then I don't know if I will slow that shot. I'm dumb like that. :bounce:

I went by GA Firing Line after work and zeroed the red dots on my Winchester Wildcat .22 and my Ruger 10/22 Charger SBR. It also gave me a chance to play with my suppressor.

Sounds like fun was had.

Which suppressor are you using ?

Adam5

I've never tried any type of competitive shooting but could imagine that may be a common issue.

I find myself getting on the trigger at a much faster pace when I'm shooting a red-dot equipped gun. I see that dot hover over target and I start applying pressure without thinking about it.

Seems like every time I try to slow it down and try for sheer accuracy, like the bullseye shooters do....I have to fight the desire to shoot when that dot sweeps over the X.

I'm interested in hearing how you are able to intentionally slow your roll. I need to do the same.

I figured even with my smallish / thin G48 that I would go about it slow and deliberate. Yeah, that didn't happen. :rofl: See dot, bang, see do-bang, see-bang, etc. :biggestshoot:

Maybe I'll force some drills where I only load a single round in each mag. Even then I don't know if I will slow that shot. I'm dumb like that. :bounce:

Sounds like fun was had.

Which suppressor are you using ?

I have a Rugged Oculus that I run on my G43, the 10/22 Charger SBR, and the Wildcat. The short SBR is a blast to run suppressed.

The GSSF matches are scored using your time as a base, then any bullseye has no effect, a hit one ring out adds a second, the outside of that ring but in the target adds three seconds, and a miss adds ten seconds. Bad shots hurt more than running too slow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

frankwright

I ain't skeered of rain!
I looked at my weather app and figured I had time for a range trip.

First my S&W 442 had not been carried or shot in a while so I gave it a workout. Those Gold Dot JHP's smart when you shoot them in that lightweight gun.
Surprisingly I was able to keep all hits in the -0 zone of an IDPA target, even when drawing from my pocket and moving backwards.
We are having an indoor night shoot next month so I shot my Sig P320 with light attached as drawing and holstering a gun with a light is different as the holster retention secures on the light, not the gun.
Finally I may shoot indoor GSSF match Sunday so I shot my G19X at 15 yards on the par timer. If I can shoot as good Sunday as I did today I will be happy.
I fired 10 round magazines in under 15 seconds from 15 yards, eight times and had 2 hits that were -1. Everything else was ) but pressure sometimes gets to you especially when four or five guns are booming around you!

Attachments

• S&W 442 Range Trip.jpg
    S&W 442 Range Trip.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Sig P320 with Light.jpg
    Sig P320 with Light.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Glock 19X.jpg
    Glock 19X.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 1

Dub

I ain't skeered of rain!
I looked at my weather app and figured I had time for a range trip.

First my S&W 442 had not been carried or shot in a while so I gave it a workout. Those Gold Dot JHP's smart when you shoot them in that lightweight gun.
Surprisingly I was able to keep all hits in the -0 zone of an IDPA target, even when drawing from my pocket and moving backwards.
We are having an indoor night shoot next month so I shot my Sig P320 with light attached as drawing and holstering a gun with a light is different as the holster retention secures on the light, not the gun.
Finally I may shoot indoor GSSF match Sunday so I shot my G19X at 15 yards on the par timer. If I can shoot as good Sunday as I did today I will be happy.
I fired 10 round magazines in under 15 seconds from 15 yards, eight times and had 2 hits that were -1. Everything else was ) but pressure sometimes gets to you especially when four or five guns are booming around you!

You are in the zone (y) (y) (y) (y)

Latest posts