Don Mathis

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Love this forum. Hope you get some closure April. Sounds like he was a pretty good fella

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have one and am going to bring it down her way. It is a great mount for me. Life is short and memories will last. Getting older and would love her to have it. i will be in touch with her tomorrow.
Don mounted this one for me in 1987.

Top shelf gentlemen, top shelf.....God Bless

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

NWS

Funny story: I used to occasionally stop by Don’s Taxidermy Shop in Jonesboro when I was driving down to work in Hampton just to shoot the bull for a few minutes and admire his work. He was always putting the finishing touches on a few bona fide bruiser deer and I enjoyed looking at his work and talking to him. Usually when I stopped by he would have the Cartoon Network on TV and he would be watching “The Jetsons” as he was working. He would watch the show and laugh along with the cartoon as he worked on a mount. I got a big kick out of it. He always had time to shoot the bull with you.

rutnbuk

April- thank you for your post. Brought back some memories. He mounted the first Bass I ever got mounted back in late 80's. He must have done really good work since it looks just as good today as back then. He was a super nice guy from what I remember. I was in my early 20s back then- just learning to bow hunt and all my arrows were flying safely 6 feet over every deer I shot at- lol- so I never had a chance in those days to take him a buck. Wish I had- good luck in your quest and thanks again for posting.