Don Mathis

My name is April Mathis. My grandfather was Don Mathis. I'm sure you all have heard of him. He was a famous taxidermist. When I was a kid I lost contact with him due to my father being abusive. I was a teenager I found him again only to lose him two weeks later to a gun accident. I have memories of being in his shop. I've been looking for a piece of his work for years. I don't care what it is I just want a piece of him. It would mean the world to me. And maybe help with some closure. I don't even have a picture of him. Please someone on here help me.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I sure hope u find closure and what you are looking for , the name sounds very familiar . Where was he from ? And welcome to the forum , hope u hang around !

Georgia he had a shop in Jonesboro. He won all kinds of awards nationally for his work. And his deers on the cover of a taxidermist manual.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
He died 20 years ago back in 2000. But he still know to this day.

Please post up if you have any luck finding a piece. Again, best of luck.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Yes, welcome to the campfire.
Hoping you'll find what you're looking for.
Please update us when you do.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

HuntinDawg89

He did 2 shoulder mounts for me, but I am not willing to part with them. One was my first mature buck in 1992. The other is my Pope & Young from 1998.

I am sorry for the way you lost him. I heard about how it happened.