Elk Hunting

P6smSKC

Most of the areas in Colorado have relatively high cwd numbers so keep that in mind too. Unless you are in the “it’s not a real thing” camp and don’t care, or you don’t plan on eating the meat.

godogs57

Be careful - once you do it one time, you will be hooked if you can physically handle it. There's nothing like it. i would recommend to anybody looking to go in the future to get your preference points started with Wyoming.

I tell everyone that elk hunting is my “cocaine”. I went on my once in a lifetime elk hunt in the 90’s. After that hunt, it was no longer once in a lifetime. Once you hear a real bugle, up close, coming your way but you can’t see him yet, you’ll understand. It’s not for the faint of heart.

oppthepop

I tell everyone that elk hunting is my “cocaine”. I went on my once in a lifetime elk hunt in the 90’s. After that hunt, it was no longer once in a lifetime. Once you hear a real bugle, up close, coming your way but you can’t see him yet, you’ll understand. It’s not for the faint of heart.
Amen to that my friend!!!!!

Gaswamp

This is big water to wade into but not knowing her budget or his weapon choice/physical ability this is where I would suggest they start. Keep in mind that there are other options but these are the one's I am most familiar with.

If he wants to try to go on a hunt in 2021 they need to look at Colorado, New Mexico, and Idaho.

Colorado has the most hunting opportunity for non residents of any state. For the most part archery season, 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons are over the counter. Outfitted hunts on public land during these seasons are usually more affordable but public land during these seasons can also be crowded. Private land hunts during these seasons will be more expensive but with a good outfitter it would be a better quality hunt. I'm not sure if Colorado offers any kind of landowner or guaranteed tags for private land during the first rifle hunts but it would be something to look into. So what does this mean? If he wants to go on a hunt in 2021 he can find an outfitter in one of these over the counter units and Colorado, book a hunt, and go with no points or draw if they so chose. Or if they are not in a rush to go this year they can build points for a few years and get in on a better hunt in a better unit.

New Mexico has no over the counter tags. All Elk tags are given through the lottery system but it is a pure lottery. By that I mean there is no point system. You are just as likely to get drawn this year as you are next year and you are just as likely to get drawn as any other nonresident putting in the for same hunt. The one thing a nonresident can do to up your odds of getting drawn is to get lined up with an outfitter before you have to put in for the draw. New Mexico reserves the bulk of its nonresident tags for nonresidents who have signed a contract with an outfitter. Since it sounds like they are planning on using an outfitter anyways this is the way to go. It really increases your odds of getting drawn. Now to throw a wrench in things. The one way to guarantee an elk tag in New Mexico is to buy a landowner tag. Most outfitters offer this or they can be bought through tag services. So what does all this mean? If he wants to hunt New Mexico in 2021 he can get lined up with an outfitter, put in for tags through the outfitter draw and pray he is successful. If not successful in the draw he can buy a landowner tag (prices vary unit to unit) and go hunt. This is going to be quite a bit more costly than one of the over the counter hunts in Colorado but will be a better hunt.

I'm not very familiar with Idaho's system but I'm pretty sure they are a pure lottery as well. This is the only reason I put Idaho on the list. For a 2021 hunt he can put in for tags in Idaho and be just as likely to get drawn one year to the next.

If they are not dead set on hunting in 2021 and can wait a few years this is what I would recommend they do...

Spend from now till February looking for and talking to outfitters in these states (or others) that offer the kind of hunt they are looking for. Start building points in Colorado and/or any other point state they are interested in hunting so that have have more options in a few years. Every year while building points in the points states be putting in for tags in the lottery states using the outfitter draw in New Mexico and if you get drawn load up and go hunt! And if they ever decide that this is the year and he wants to hunt no matter what he can alway go over the counter Colorado, or landowner tag New Mexico.
great information