Falwell, Jr.

brutally honest

From a 1/24/22 Vanity Fair article:

Jerry said that being on the receiving end of evangelicals’ moral opprobrium has fundamentally turned him away from the movement. He believes in Christ, he said, but not the church. “Nothing in history has done more to turn people away from Christianity than organized religion,” he said. “The religious elite has got this idea that somehow their sins aren’t as bad as everyone else’s,” Jerry said.

I was surprised Falwell said this, even though I hear comments like this a lot, including on this board. I know local churches have hypocrites in them, but you can’t separate Jesus from His church. He built the church. Leftists do the same thing with Jesus and Paul, as if the two had conflicting messages.

(I did not link to the VF article because parts of it are not “family friendly”. I believe this is from the current issue on newsstands now. Also, it’s not hard to find online.)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Jerry said that being on the receiving end of evangelicals’ moral opprobrium has fundamentally turned him away from the movement. He believes in Christ, he said, but not the church. “Nothing in history has done more to turn people away from Christianity than organized religion,” he said. “The religious elite has got this idea that somehow their sins aren’t as bad as everyone else’s,” Jerry said.

I was surprised Falwell said this, even though I hear comments like this a lot, including on this board. I know local churches have hypocrites in them, but you can’t separate Jesus from His church. He built the church. Leftists do the same thing with Jesus and Paul, as if the two had conflicting messages.

(I did not link to the VF article because parts of it are not “family friendly”. I believe this is from the current issue on newsstands now. Also, it’s not hard to find online.)
I got my paycheck from one of the larger denominations for a few years back in the day. I saw personal behavior, corruption, large-scale embezzlement, general nastiness, dirty politics and cover-ups in the administration that would curl your hair. Jesus sure didn't have much to do with any of it as far as I could tell. Sure didn't give me a more favorable opinion of organized religion. I think churches should be managed locally within the community on a church-by church basis, not nationally or internationally. When a church gets big and wealthy enough, it's just another corporation or government, with all the attendant corruption and politics.

The church is an amalgamation of groups of people, not a multi-million dollar industry with a board of directors.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
He believes in Christ, he said, but not the church. “Nothing in history has done more to turn people away from Christianity than organized religion,” he said. “The religious elite has got this idea that somehow their sins aren’t as bad as everyone else’s,” Jerry said.

Many years ago there was a poster on here sed much the same, and it stirred up a whole lotta conflict. :)

I don't like that FAlwell Jr fella. I think he is slimy (Liberty Alum, btw). I agree with his sentiments. I left the church 12 years ago and haven't looked back. I still serve in the best way I can. I still give as I am able. I still believe, prolly more strongly now than when I was a small group leading, church band playin, every time the doors are open attendee. I am able to practice my faith now more dilligently without the concerns of being controlled, judged, or asked to blindly follow some dude who is claiming the people must "be on board with the vision."

The fact is that all people generally have negative characteristics. Myself included. Churches will openly overlook their own while judging others, and then ask the masses to blindly follow the leaders without question. They should at least believe the things they claim to believe, or stop with the charade. I couldn't wrap my head around it, so I bailed.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
IT's not just the religious elite who believe their sins aren't as bad. It's most the congregations too. They judge and shun folks for committing the same sins that they once committed.......but, that was like, in the past, so they are good to go now. Give me a break.

Artfuldodger

Not sure why you had to put a "Leftist" spin on Jesus and Paul? I guess Oneness vs Trinity is a "Leftist" thing or Freewill vs Election.
I'll agree some things within the Church are maybe a Leftist spin, just not that particular topic.

LittleDrummerBoy

You cannot separate Christ from his church.

The error is in assuming that Christ's church is more highly correlated with those organizations and their buildings than with those who follow Christ who have learned to avoid the charade of the buildings and organizations.

Artfuldodger

IT's not just the religious elite who believe their sins aren't as bad. It's most the congregations too. They judge and shun folks for committing the same sins that they once committed.......but, that was like, in the past, so they are good to go now. Give me a break.
I see that with older Christians too. They shun the young folk for doing the same things they did when they were at that age. Yet when they were young and wanted to do all that, it was OK in their eyes. But since they are old and settled down, it is no longer the correct way to live.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I see that with older Christians too. They shun the young folk for doing the same things they did when they were at that age. Yet when they were young and wanted to do all that, it was OK in their eyes. But since they are old and settled down, it is no longer the correct way to live.

It's kinda like parents who tell their kids they can't listen to modern music about sex, drugs, n alcohol......yet they will pop in Alabama's greatest hits and not think twice about it. Sex, drugs n alcohol is ok if it's old timey country music I guess (At least one is featured in many of their songs)?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Many years ago there was a poster on here sed much the same, and it stirred up a whole lotta conflict. :)

I don't like that FAlwell Jr fella. I think he is slimy (Liberty Alum, btw). I agree with his sentiments. I left the church 12 years ago and haven't looked back. I still serve in the best way I can. I still give as I am able. I still believe, prolly more strongly now than when I was a small group leading, church band playin, every time the doors are open attendee. I am able to practice my faith now more dilligently without the concerns of being controlled, judged, or asked to blindly follow some dude who is claiming the people must "be on board with the vision."

The fact is that all people generally have negative characteristics. Myself included. Churches will openly overlook their own while judging others, and then ask the masses to blindly follow the leaders without question. They should at least believe the things they claim to believe, or stop with the charade. I couldn't wrap my head around it, so I bailed.
If I'm looking for God, I think I am a lot more likely to encounter him alone on a mountaintop, waist deep in a secluded stream, or somewhere else out in his creation than in a stuffy building full of folks judging me.

gordon 2

There was a time not long ago when the Evangelicals and the Fundamentals would of counter attacked? Perhaps they are all spent from their crusades?

So who is this Falwell, Jr. and why has the pasture he grazed on turned sour for him? Why does he find himself disgraced and all you guys root on his team to kick it (church) to the curb? Seems he's been called out for somethin and has decided to kick it all, the messenger and the sender, to the curb? And for all those who would serve approbrium, y'all want to do as he does. ???? So those that serve the papers and those that receive them all want out! Even some of you claim to be under an authority and an authority you value not? Somethin's not right in River City in general perhaps? Church with not Christ?

an occasion or cause of reproach or disgrace.
plural noun: opprobriums

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There was a time not long ago when the Evangelicals and the Fundamentals would of counter attacked?

So who is this Falwell, Jr. and why has the pasture he grazed on turned sour for him? Why does he find himself disgraced and all you guys root on his team? Seems he's been called out for somethin and has decided to kick it all, the messenger and the sender, to the curb? And for all those who would serve approbrium, y'all want to do as he does. ???? Even some of you claim to be under an authority and an authority you value not? Somethin's not right in River City in general perhaps? Church with not Christ?

an occasion or cause of reproach or disgrace.
plural noun: opprobriums
I don't know much about him or have any overall opinion of him other than I happen to agree with that particular statement. I am generally very mistrustful of famous, wealthy preachers, such as his daddy.

gordon 2

I don't know much about him or have any overall opinion of him other than I happen to agree with that particular statement. I am generally very mistrustful of famous, wealthy preachers, such as his daddy.

Mistrust is the spirit of our times for some reason-- even to the point of not trusting anything bigger than our own mule headedness. Everybody's into the act of being on the Jerry Springer stage it seems.:huh: Hard to say how long of a run it will have.

brutally honest

If I'm looking for God, I think I am a lot more likely to encounter him alone on a mountaintop, waist deep in a secluded stream, or somewhere else out in his creation than in a stuffy building full of folks judging me.

As Bane said to Batman, “Admirable … but mistaken.”

brutally honest

It's kinda like parents who tell their kids they can't listen to modern music about sex, drugs, n alcohol......yet they will pop in Alabama's greatest hits and not think twice about it. Sex, drugs n alcohol is ok if it's old timey country music I guess (At least one is featured in many of their songs)?

You might find the article interesting. Junior doesn’t have much in common with dear ol’ Dad. I knew very little about Junior, and I was surprised.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I got my paycheck from one of the larger denominations for a few years back in the day. I saw personal behavior, corruption, large-scale embezzlement, general nastiness, dirty politics and cover-ups in the administration that would curl your hair. Jesus sure didn't have much to do with any of it as far as I could tell. Sure didn't give me a more favorable opinion of organized religion. I think churches should be managed locally within the community on a church-by church basis, not nationally or internationally. When a church gets big and wealthy enough, it's just another corporation or government, with all the attendant corruption and politics.

The church is an amalgamation of groups of people, not a multi-million dollar industry with a board of directors.
I attend church every Sunday, have no issue with “organized religion” as it were (the term makes me laugh. As if disorganized is a viable option) and I agree with this post.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Mistrust is the spirit of our times for some reason-- even to the point of not trusting anything bigger than our own mule headedness. Everybody's into the act of being on the Jerry Springer stage it seems.:huh: Hard to say how long of a run it will have.
Celebrity pastors have done a lot to earn distrust.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
You might find the article interesting. Junior doesn’t have much in common with dear ol’ Dad. I knew very little about Junior, and I was surprised.

All I know is he put himself in some seriously compromised situations. My issue with that is the flaunting of certain rules us believers are supposed to follow: appearance of evil, flee temptation, and etc. Point being, he participated in the things he claims to disdain. Again, "they" do not believe what they claim to believe......they just think all of that applies to "us."

I am more certain I made the correct call to exit now than I ever was. There have been sentimental moments when I miss the church. PArticularly when wlaking into an old musty smelling and small church building. Every time I drive by a mega church, I am reminded of every reason I had to leave. The problems exist in both buildings, it's just that one of them brings back some decent childhood memories.

brutally honest

You cannot separate Christ from his church.

The error is in assuming that Christ's church is more highly correlated with those organizations and their buildings than with those who follow Christ who have learned to avoid the charade of the buildings and organizations.

The error is assuming the buildings and organizations have prevailed against His church.