Favorite Engine

crackerdave

I test drove a H cat. Straight line fast but our old Vette would eat it alive on corners.
The H cat felt like you were sitting on the living room sofa. Vipers are the same way except they are fast everywhere, but still a big fluffy seat.
Dodge chargers and challengers have become a Urban car.

Out here on the Ga coast you see a ton of Raptors. Maybe it’s a military thing.
It is.

crackerdave

No motorhead here but both my f150 5.4 V8 and F250 6.8 V10 both over 250,000
The V8 was sold at 26?,??? And the V10 got a new engine at 278,000 total bad maintenance on my part. The V10 didn't like to hold plugs easy fix but frustrating for sure. My 4.0 Jeep always giving me heck? but not from the motor!
My old Wrangler is getting rebuilt piece by piece,but the motor runs great.It's an '88 4.0 liter inline six.
It's only got 140000 on it....it sat up a lot but was run regularly by its military man original owner.I baby it and hope to get another 100000 out of it.

J.E.E.P. = just empty every pocket !?

Big7

The Oracle
That Amoco white gas was the best! Made good Coleman lantern fuel,too.
I haven't thought about that in a while but that's what we used as teens and young adults, hunting, fishing and camping.

Sure was a lot cheaper than store bought fuel.

And now, you just screw a bottle of butane or propane to a stove or lantern. And even USB charger for the lanterns at least.

A lot of young "Men" couldn't change a spark plug nowadays, much less work a pump up stove. ?

crackerdave

I haven't thought about that in a while but that's what we used as teens and young adults, hunting, fishing and camping.

Sure was a lot cheaper than store bought fuel.

And now, you just screw a bottle of butane or propane to a stove or lantern. And even USB charger for the lanterns at least.

A lot of young "Men" couldn't change a spark plug nowadays, much less work a pump up stove. ?
Better hang on to your old Coleman stuff.Might need it soon!

Redbow

That Amoco white gas was the best! Made good Coleman lantern fuel,too.

My Stepdad and I sold thousands of gallons of White Amoco gas back in the early sixties. We ran an Amoco service station for many years beside I-95. Back then in winter people did not travel very much and things got kinda lean in the service station business in the dead of winter time.

crackerdave

My Stepdad and I sold thousands of gallons of White Amoco gas back in the early sixties. We ran an Amoco service station for many years beside I-95. Back then in winter people did not travel very much and things got kinda lean in the service station business in the dead of winter time.
That's when an old woodstove is nice to have!

Maybe not a good idea for a gas station,though.?

Redbow

That's when an old woodstove is nice to have!

Maybe not a good idea for a gas station,though.?

I have been in quite a few service stations long years ago with wood heaters burning inside them.

crackerdave

I've been running premium in my old Jeep.Hoping to squeeze another 100000 miles out of her!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I’ll take any of the modern Chevy LS, 6 bolt main, motors that we currently play around with. They’re a lot easier to get 600hp and 300,000 miles out of. I spent two entire days rebuilding these Rochester triple deuces on a 327 Chevy before I got them right. But that 327 with the deuces would give you whiplash in that 54 Chevy truck.

Currently have three LS Chevy long blocks built on engine stands, fresh back from the machine shop, waiting to be built to customer specs. Two 5.3 and one 4.8, all AFM deleted. Have one 6.0 to be rebuilt.
b7c6d8e1-17cf-46d4-aa6d-be3cd5219408-jpeg.1155128
View attachment 1155129
My ‘05 suburban has 240,000 miles. 5.3. My sons is an ‘02 with over 330,000 miles.

Big7

The Oracle
Better hang on to your old Coleman stuff.Might need it soon!
Still got a stove and 2 lanterns.
Can't find Coleman mantles but Walmart has the Ozark Trail. Little smaller. Prolly work.

I got a plastic box of various O- rings to fit the brass stuff. I think I can get them to work and going to need everything I can find after the first of the year.

You are right @crackerdave
We gonna see more bad before it gets better..
I'm even saving milk jugs, Clorox bottles, wire, string, rope and used oil. Never know when you going to need simple tools, equipment and knowledge.

A lot of folks going to find out meat and produce don't start out in Publix.

I'm good for whatever- short of a nuclear attack.
I do worry about my Mama and Sisters tho.
Daddy has passed on 5 years ago. Both BILs couldn't start a fire in a fireplace without store bought Duraflame logs with the starter added.

One of my Nephews is pretty sharp. Finished College and got a steady girlfriend. The other one just finished high school last year. Still a kid.
He's got girls on his mind. He ain't studying hunting and fishing. ?

They both can work on their own Jeeps.
Both got a Grand Cherokee and they look on YouTube or call me if they need help turning wrenches.

B. White

I had a 1986 twin of the one below. Only vehicle I've owned that lost the transmission. It went at about 80K miles. Had some engine problems and externals replaced. Rear end needed new parts. Fuel pump decided to die when I was on my way home at the end of 2nd shift and it was 14 degrees. No cell phones at the time. It was a long walk. This version of a 308 was pretty weak.

It was fun when it was running the first 75K miles, but downhill after that.

1982-gmc-k10

Redbow

I had a 1986 twin of the one below. Only vehicle I've owned that lost the transmission. It went at about 80K miles. Had some engine problems and externals replaced. Rear end needed new parts. Fuel pump decided to die when I was on my way home at the end of 2nd shift and it was 14 degrees. No cell phones at the time. It was a long walk. This version of a 308 was pretty weak.

It was fun when it was running the first 75K miles, but downhill after that.

1982-gmc-k10

I still have my old '86 Chevy 2 wheel drive. It came from the factory with a 305 engine but it died at about 92K miles. I replaced the 305 with a 350 crate engine in 1999. It still runs good but of course the gas mileage is poor. Had the tranny rebuilt once but the guy who did the rebuild did a poor job. I bought a used 350T tranny and installed that. Its been pretty good its still in the truck but it leaks a bit. I don't plan to ever get rid of my old Chevy I can still work on the old school stuff, I ain't much good on the modern stuff though.