Favorite Engine

crackerdave

I still have my old '86 Chevy 2 wheel drive. It came from the factory with a 305 engine but it died at about 92K miles. I replaced the 305 with a 350 crate engine in 1999. It still runs good but of course the gas mileage is poor. Had the tranny rebuilt once but the guy who did the rebuild did a poor job. I bought a used 350T tranny and installed that. Its been pretty good its still in the truck but it leaks a bit. I don't plan to ever get rid of my old Chevy I can still work on the old school stuff, I ain't much good on the modern stuff though.
I'm lost on the new stuff,too.
I like to be able to sit on the fender wells and do a tune-up.

Redbow

I'm lost on the new stuff,too.
I like to be able to sit on the fender wells and do a tune-up.

Yes sir I well remember when some of the cars and trucks years ago had enough space for a man to get inside the engine bay and work on the engine. Now days most cars and trucks you can hardly get your hand in there much less your feet and legs.

crackerdave

Yes sir I well remember when some of the cars and trucks years ago had enough space for a man to get inside the engine bay and work on the engine. Now days most cars and trucks you can hardly get your hand in there much less your feet and legs.
When I raise the hood on a newer vehicle,all I can do is scratch my head and say "no way."?

Redbow

When I raise the hood on a newer vehicle,all I can do is scratch my head and say "no way."?

I check the oil and coolant, the windshield washer fluid and sometimes the power steering fluid and wish everything else under there well. My 2019 Nissan Frontier you can't even check the tranny fluid level. I don't know about the Wife's Rogue but she loves that car.

Geffellz18

Another 22re vote here-Couldn’t kill it despite my best efforts
Had it built up a little with a 486 lift crane cam, a little upper engine work, headers, exhaust, etc. Nothing crazy, but it would take out a stock GT mustang in the 1/4 every day of the week. Everyone thought I had a small block in it when it was idling!
Really enjoyed that ride before I got stupid and started an engine swap for a 13b Mazda rotary which I never completed due to marriage, kiddos, etc!
E51D8786-289F-489C-B1AF-B05FA9186F34.jpeg
E7BC4F12-2C4B-471E-8580-E9C588C74769.jpeg
Me burning em down at Nopi Nationals way back in the day!
D163CF7C-DAA9-408D-852C-3B7F3E5759B9.jpeg

Attachments

• FC90E27C-9F23-48A3-94F3-01A55E653913.jpeg
    FC90E27C-9F23-48A3-94F3-01A55E653913.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 0

sinclair1

Another 22re vote here-Couldn’t kill it despite my best efforts
Had it built up a little with a 486 lift crane cam, a little upper engine work, headers, exhaust, etc. Nothing crazy, but it would take out a stock GT mustang in the 1/4 every day of the week. Everyone thought I had a small block in it when it was idling!
Really enjoyed that ride before I got stupid and started an engine swap for a 13b Mazda rotary which I never completed due to marriage, kiddos, etc!
View attachment 1155329
View attachment 1155328
Me burning em down at Nopi Nationals way back in the day!
View attachment 1155331
Was that in Smyrna?

coolbreezeroho

289....Had one in my 68 and 66 Mustangs...Those rear tires never seemed to last long ....Knew I was in trouble at work one day when I powered braked a 60 yard burn out and I look back and couldn't see the building ...Nothing like going side to side with a little bounce to it ....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

crackerdave

289....Had one in my 68 and 66 Mustangs...Those rear tires never seemed to last long ....Knew I was in trouble at work one day when I powered braked a 60 yard burn out and I look back and couldn't see the building ...Nothing like going side to side with a little bounce to it ....:LOL::LOL::LOL:
That 289 was a good 'un!
So was the Boss 302.

Doboy Dawg

That's what I did and most others I heard about during that time. MPG was pretty bad.
17A25BA9-D9B3-4A99-A124-49FD76A4402B.jpeg
A internal combustion engine is still the same. Just now you have to use a computer OBD to program them, diagnose them, assist in repairing them. You need thousands of dollars in computers and software to be able to work on them. You have to purchase ECM unlock codes by VIN.

Yearly software updates can run from $250-$1,200 or more. The newer the vehicle the more proprietary the software is. It is frustrating for a small shop to try to keep up.

Attachments

• AA2BBF49-2E91-4099-AA95-11E7099CE249.png
    AA2BBF49-2E91-4099-AA95-11E7099CE249.png
    419.8 KB · Views: 7

crackerdave

The technology is just too complicated for a hardheaded old cracker to tackle.

I came up in a time when you could sit on the fenderwells and do a tuneup.As in : plugs and wires,points,condenser,distributor cap,rotor,set the timing with a light,etc....

crackerdave

View attachment 1155450
A internal combustion engine is still the same. Just now you have to use a computer OBD to program them, diagnose them, assist in repairing them. You need thousands of dollars in computers and software to be able to work on them. You have to purchase ECM unlock codes by VIN.

Yearly software updates can run from $250-$1,200 or more. The newer the vehicle the more proprietary the software is. It is frustrating for a small shop to try to keep up.
I can see how it would make it hard on a small shop.Seems like the little guys are having a tough time everywhere,in every business.Thanks,Biden.

About the only thing I like about the computer stuff is being able to diagnose a problem with a code reader.

crackerdave

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned the Hemi !
Where would NHRA have been without 'em?