Georgia High School NIL Approved

Hunter922

Dear lord. Little Jimmy's parents are gonna see dollar signs at age 11 now, even though little Jimmy is a mediocre at best ball player.
Coached travel baseball for 16 years. I can't imagine the parents pushing there kids any harder, well now I can...

bullgator

I wonder if it will pull player and families across state lines?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The Georgia High School Association approved new rules Monday to allow athletes from any sport to earn money for their name, image and likeness, known as NIL deals without losing amateur status.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They must think we're all stupid.

DannyW

great motivation to stay in school, study, improve grades

have you seen junior's grades
I agree with your first point, staying in school, but I think NIL at the high school level will have the opposite effect on studying and improving grades. Why waste time on learning when you are being fast-tracked to the bigs? That's the way a 16 YO boy is going to look at it.

killerv

schools are already breaking recruiting rules and the ghsa usually stops pursing punishment once the threat of lawsuits happen.

killerv

Dear lord. Little Jimmy's parents are gonna see dollar signs at age 11 now, even though little Jimmy is a mediocre at best ball player.
Coached travel baseball for 16 years. I can't imagine the parents pushing there kids any harder, well now I can...
I see it all the time, all these kids playing travel ball that are average at best, but they where their uniforms and hats everyone they go and parents get to go around saying their kid plays travel ball. But in reality they are paying to play so the really good players dont have to pay to play. And all those thousands a year running all over the place when in the end little Jimmy doesn't get any scholarship offers and if he does, its do a D3 school with maybe 1500 bucks off tuition.

If the kids loves it and the parents have the money and time, I'm all for it. But I know too many folks running up credit cards, etc to be able to afford travel ball. And when we bump into these kids during rec season, they arent any better than others. You'll have one or two that simply have that extra talent, but they have that regardless.

killerv

I agree with your first point, staying in school, but I think NIL at the high school level will have the opposite effect on studying and improving grades. Why waste time on learning when you are being fast-tracked to the bigs? That's the way a 16 YO boy is going to look at it.
Maybe put a GPA on it, 3.0 or higher to be eligible. Like the Hope scholarship.

Hunter922

But in reality they are paying to play so the really good players dont have to pay to play.
Travel ball they all payed. Good , great, bad or last player on the team.. The problem was the parents. Seen great kids quit in the middle of a season and a couple after a game in a tournamnet because of the overbearing parent, that's why I quit coaching.. At some point let a kid be a kid it was sad and infuriating.

killerv

Travel ball they all payed. Good , great, bad or last player on the team.. The problem was the parents. Seen great kids quit in the middle of a season and a couple after a game in a tournamnet because of the overbearing parent, that's why I quit coaching.. At some point let a kid be a kid it was sad and infuriating.
Our big travel player kid catches a lot, he's serviceable. But his parents setup shop right behind home plate. I dont think he enjoys it, coach told him to put catchers gear on the other night and kid started whining, my son caught instead. They complained about everything, even yelling at kids on the other team to stop getting to close to the plate. I told them the kids are in the batters box, but then I got jumped on. I just avoid them now. Parents do take the fun out of it.