Got the green light on a new rifle....

Which one would you choose for my needs?

• Browning x bolt eclipse 270 wsm

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Browning x bolt eclipse 300 wsm

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Browning x bolt eclipse 7mm mag

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Tikka t3 all weather 270 wsm

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • Tikka t3 all weather 300 wsm

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Tikka t3 all weather 7mm mag

Votes: 7 15.2%

• Total voters

Living Proof

I voted tikka 270wsm. The X bolt is just weird to me. I have an A bolt II stainless stalker 270wsm which is an awesome round and very good rifle... used to be my favorite until I started buying tikka and sako's. The downside to the tikkas are the stocks, I put B&C medalists on mine..... LP

treemanjohn

Banned
Do you reload? The WSM ammo can be tough to come by in hard times. Also, all the guns/calibers you currently listed will kill deer dead as a hammer at 500 yards. Why not go for a curveball instead of parity?

treemanjohn

Banned
What do you mean?

I was referring to the guns that you currently have. The ones listed in your original post. All of cartridges are based on the 30.06 casing. They're all versatile and all capable of 500 yard kill shots with ease based on your capabilities and the rifles willingness to be accurate. The short Magnums you have listed are very good cartridges but I don't see the upside of owning another gun just like the ones you have.

The curveball I was referring to was buying something you don't already have. Maybe an AR, great handgun, or another rifle. Maybe a dedicated long-range varmint gun. One of my favorite purchases was a CZ 527 chambered in 7.62 x 39. It's an incredible rifle out to 300, ammo is very cheap, and weighs literally nothing.

M77 Ruger

I was referring to the guns that you currently have. The ones listed in your original post. All of cartridges are based on the 30.06 casing. They're all versatile and all capable of 500 yard kill shots with ease based on your capabilities and the rifles willingness to be accurate. The short Magnums you have listed are very good cartridges but I don't see the upside of owning another gun just like the ones you have.

The curveball I was referring to was buying something you don't already have. Maybe an AR, great handgun, or another rifle. Maybe a dedicated long-range varmint gun. One of my favorite purchases was a CZ 527 chambered in 7.62 x 39. It's an incredible rifle out to 300, ammo is very cheap, and weighs literally nothing.

I have other guns I only posted my current hunting rifles. I have 2 ar556, 4 different hands guns for concealed carry, 3 shotguns, I have 1 varmint gun not that I use it for that in 22-250. I love guns and love to shoot. I'm just looking for a good shooter and something different in a deer hunting hunting rifle

GAHUNTER60

I chose the .300 WSM because there might be an elk or a moose in your future. (Can't tell; I never thought there would be one in mine until I went -- then went again, and again, and again, and again. It's kinda like drugs -- you can't get hooked until you try it; but then it's too late to do anything about it!).

Not the the .270 WSM won't kill an elk or a moose, but a .300 kills them deader! :fine:

GunnSmokeer

... One of my favorite purchases was a CZ 527 ... It's an incredible rifle ... and weighs literally nothing.

It doesn't "weigh nothing" figuratively or practically, but LITERALLY weights nothing? Zero pounds, zero ounces, zero grams?

That's gotta be the empty weight, because the bullets it uses must weigh at least 123 grains each, plus the weight of the cases, powder, and primer.

The recoil on that one has to be strange.

If you don't get the butt stock solidly placed on your shoulder, the gun will fly back at you at over 2,000 f.p.s. when it's fired.
But being hit with a projectile of 0.0 grams at even infinite velocity will generate no foot/lbs. of kinetic energy, so you won't be bothered by the impact on your shoulder.

M77 Ruger

Well it's a done deal. No going back now. The wife had already bought me a tikka t3x in 270 wsm. She just gave it too me a little early for my anniversary present this morning. She is so awesome. Our anniversary is 11/22 which is Tuesday. She couldn't hide it from me anymore. Thanks fellas for all the advice and insight. Now I guess my new question is what bullets do you recommend in 270 wsm?

Will45

Double check the twist rate before you buy ammo or bullets to reload. I believe the Tikka's use a slower twist rate than most. Bullet weights in the light to middle range should certainly stabilize. The heavy for caliber bullets may not stabilize in the slower twist.

Also, if you are going to shoot those distances, a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient will buck the wind a little better than a lower bc. If using factory ammo, I'd buy 3 or 4 different offerings of the types of bullets you want to shoot, and see what groups best in the rifle.

Remember, shot placement is most important, so shoot ammo that groups the best with a quality bullet. Be sure to update us with the range results, rifle pics, and hopefully some kills.

Will

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Why limit yourself to 500 yds. when you could go out to 1,000 yds. +with a very accurate rifle in .308. Take a look at This Savage:

gt40

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 11.14.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 11.14.28 PM.png
    311 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here is my Savage in 6mm Norma BR. and a 400 yard target.

gt40

Attachments

• pst 2.jpg
    pst 2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 124

M77 Ruger

Double check the twist rate before you buy ammo or bullets to reload. I believe the Tikka's use a slower twist rate than most. Bullet weights in the light to middle range should certainly stabilize. The heavy for caliber bullets may not stabilize in the slower twist.

Also, if you are going to shoot those distances, a bullet with a higher ballistic coefficient will buck the wind a little better than a lower bc. If using factory ammo, I'd buy 3 or 4 different offerings of the types of bullets you want to shoot, and see what groups best in the rifle.

Remember, shot placement is most important, so shoot ammo that groups the best with a quality bullet. Be sure to update us with the range results, rifle pics, and hopefully some kills.

Will

Will do. The tikka has a 1:10" twist