Great White Florida Panhandle

sinclair1

pjciii

I haven't gone swimming in the gulf or either oceans since I saw Jaws. Also a buddy and myself were trout fishing off Cape San Blas wading and had 2 sharks take an interest in us. On the Port St Joe side. We were about a 100 yards from shore and it was only up to our waste.

turkeykirk

Bull sharks I bet. Had one rip a bag of dead mullet off of a friend that he had tied to his waist in a mesh bag. He changed methods of storing them while wading.
My cousin was on an oyster bar near Horseshoe Beach with his trout on a floating stringer with about 10 feet of rope clipped to his waist. A shark came by and grabbed his stringer. My cousin about ripped his shorts off getting the clip unhooked. He quickly got back into the boat with my Dad. :rofl:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Well, that is were they live. :huh:
Not really. GW's are more prone to colder waters (Pacific and North Atlantic), but in the 40 + years I've been scuba diving they have been moving more and more into warmer waters that now includes the Gulf Coast it appears. Secret to dealing with "most" sharks.. stay under water till you can get on the boat and don't have ANY dead fish attached to you in any way.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There`s a lot more great whites in the Gulf and Southern Atlantic than was thought. Ocearch has learned a lot about their movements in recent years. And they do come up in shallow water close to beaches. Bull shark is more deadly though, looks like.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
There`s a lot more great whites in the Gulf and Southern Atlantic than was thought. Ocearch has learned a lot about their movements in recent years. And they do come up in shallow water close to beaches. Bull shark is more deadly though, looks like.
I have a theory that Great Whites are found more often at Navarre Beach because that is the closest point to deep water of all the gulf beaches. They prefer that deeper and cooler water while they're down south but will venture into the shallows. Look how the deeper water points like an arrow at that point on shore.
Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 5.27.09 PM.png

bighonkinjeep

I have a theory that Great Whites are found more often at Navarre Beach because that is the closest point to deep water of all the gulf beaches. They prefer that deeper and cooler water while they're down south but will venture into the shallows. Look how the deeper water points like an arrow at that point on shore.
View attachment 1290415
Yup they even catch pelagics like tuna and wahoo off the pier in Navarre at certain times of year due to proximity of the gulf stream. In addition to this years great white 'm pretty sure it was last year when an 1100# Mako was also landed from the beach

Lilly001

There is an old picture of a huge great white that was caught off of Sarasota Florida.
I’m thinking early 1900’s.
They actually had a small shark fishery going back then. Small one or two man wooden boats.

Lilly001

I found it but I can’t figure how to post it here.
It was a 20’ in 1937 by a guy named Ed Green. And it was off of Longboat Key which is just west of Sarasota.

Geffellz18

Washed up on my home beach- Never gave Sharks much thought growing up down there.
Im sure they’ve bumped into to me several times in my adolescence.
Now I tend to stay out of the water-Moreso because I don’t care to get wet though.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Washed up on my home beach- Never gave Sharks much thought growing up down there.
Now I tend to stay out of the water-Moreso because I don’t care to get wet though.
H22 had a very close encounter with a nice one at Fernandina beach. He will never get back in. Me, I gotta go in and he keeps a close eye on me while I'm out there.

pjciii

I have seen HUGE Hammerheads just off the end of the St Andrew's state park pier. @Core Lokt we were each dragging stringers with trout on them tied to my belt loop. You know how hard that was to get off your belt loop when you are scared thinking you are on the lunch menu. Staying quiet was not an option.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
All anyone has to do is take one of those touristy helo flights down any beach and you'll loose count of the number of sharks over 5 feet long you'll see in waist deep water swim'n around folks.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Is this it? That's a sho nuff grown one right there!
View attachment 1290421
I've done a lot of tarpon fishing in that neck of the woods. Never saw a great white,but I've seen tarpon eaten by hammer heads in three bites on three different occasions.

My dad was fishing a school of tarpon at Anna Maria Island when a big hammer head got after them. Chased an estimated 80 lb. Tarpon into the surf between shore and the sandbar. There were lots of people in the water swimming and wading. Dad tried to keep pace with the shark and warn people out of the way. He pulled even with the swimming shark and guessed that it was as long as the 16 ft boat he was in.

specialk

I make a habit of not going to look for trouble...

Latest posts