He's here!

Major Wader

Beast!
How did you get injured? Fully recovered now?

Last July, I was going to this ranch to shoot hogs. About a week before I flew out there, Grandpa called to ask if I wanted to shoot an Axis deer. They were in rut, and he had a couple of bucks roaming around near one of his irrigation pivots. I flew into San Antonio, met my friend, and we drove down.

Got into a box blind about 6:30, and shot a nice axis right at dark. Probably 9:30 before we got him back to the cleaning shed. We dumped him in the cooler and had supper.

After supper, we went back out to clean the animal. Got most of the ground work done before we hung him. Somehow, while we were making the prep cuts on the front legs, I either got tangled in the antlers (33" tall) or slipped in blood and fell. I landed on one of the eyeguards, poking it about 5 inches deep in my right thigh, angling in and up.

At first, I didn't realize what happened, until I rolled off the antler and my blood started squirting out onto the same floor where his was. God bless quick thinking friends. One handed me his belt for a tourniquet and ran to get towels. The other drug the animal back into the cooler, and ran to get his truck. We called 911 while moving about 90 headed north on the highway. 911 advise us to keep driving, the ambulance was headed south.

They moved me from the truck to the ambulance in the middle of the road. I had to argue with the EMT, as he wanted to cut off my new boots instead of unzipping them. I still wear them, bloodstain and all. IV's started, and we headed toward Uvalde. They decided that I needed a helicopter ride.

Helicopter was idling on the pad when we got to Uvalde. At this point, I didn't know how this would end. My friends wanted me to call my wife, who was at my Mom's house. I decided that a 1 AM call to describe a life threatening injury was one I was just not going to make. I sent my wife a text, telling her I loved her, like I always do when I am travelling.

Most importantly, I made what I thought might be my final prayer to my Lord. I am not a religious man, but I am a man of deep faith. I thank God for every animal that I kill for our table, and that night was no exception. After this second prayer in just a few hours, I felt the peace that only Grace can bring, and I was prepared for whatever happened.

When I was rolled into the trauma center at Brooke Army, possibly the best trauma hospital in the world, I started worrying a little. The gurney rounded the corner, and there were about 30 doctors, students, nurses, etc waiting.

For me.

Including the Chaplain, collar and all, who was asking about my salvation while they were starting to work on me.

At this point, I had been married for 29 years. Very few people have seen me naked in that time frame except my wife. That number jumped exponentially that night, as they were very quick with the scissors. 2 units whole blood, 4 units plasma, 1 magnesium, 2 potassium, and 14 units of saline that night.

3 days in that hospital, 2 surgeries, one additional arterial embolism later, I was released to fly home.

I'm lucky to be here, and I know it.

I got further evidence of who my true friends are.

My belief that every day is a blessing was made even clearer.

I had my best hunting season ever last year.

I'm thankful to be alive, for good friends, and for generous people.

Matt.M

Wow. That is an accident. Glad you're still here.

Totally true about friends when you hurt yourself. Been there done that, and reduced the friend list afterwards.

walkinboss01

That's a rough story. Glad you made it through and made á great recovery.