History

olcaptain

History

As you sit on the east bank of the Apalachicola River in Chattahoochee, Florida and look to your right you will see three structures in or over the river. You will see a dam as well as a bridge and a half. The half bridge is the original Victory Bridge which opened in July, 1922 which was 93 years ago. The second structure is the present Victory Bridge which was completed in the 1990’s and finally the Jim Woodruff Dam which was constructed back in the 50’s to produce electricity and to form Lake Seminole.

Florida%20July%2031%20001_zpszokvrbmj.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20046_zps9a5ozsd1.jpg

Recently the local newspaper shared photos as they celebrated the 93rd Birthday of the opening of the original bridge. Not only did the bridge connect Chattahoochee to neighboring Sneads, Florida but it also provided a vital link in the Old Spanish Trail which ran all the way (3,000 miles) from St. Augustine to California . As I sat and read this newspaper article my mind went back to days of old. I thought about how cool it would have been to be a lad on the bank that day when that first Steamboat made her way through the draw of the bridge and then south to Apalachicola Bay.

Florida%20July%2031%20090_zps76b2axco.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20095_zpspg5jobwe.jpg

As I looked down to my right on the bank I could see the remains of old wooden barges that for many years have been abandoned and resting along the shoreline. I couldn’t help but wonder what type of cargo had they carried and what manner of men worked on board. As I looked downstream to my left I was equally intrigued by the old railroad trestle.

Florida%20July%2031%20047_zpsdpxznqpy.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20085_zps6fxvmxbe.jpg

This whole area fascinates me each and every time I go down there and this trip was certainly no exception. As I reflected on the history of the area and wondered just who and what might have travelled the river in the past my gears quickly changed to what might be travelling the river on Wed through Friday of this week. As the Crew and I gathered around midday on Wednesday I wondered what kind of history would we be putting into the books this week. Did we put some Gold on the bank or did we simply bake in the relentless July sun? I thought you’d never ask…….

I was joined this week by three of the finest crew members than money can’t buy! Mr. O.D. Forrester of nearby Sneads, Florida was in the house along with Tim “Cool Dad” Gill and the ever popular Maximus Relaximus (The Ultimate Carp Hound.)

Florida%20July%2031%20030_zpsxbro9pa3.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20027_zps85llyonv.jpg

We fished half a day Wed & Friday and all day on Thursday. Although the heat was almost unbearable at times we still managed to make some fine catches!!

Florida%20July%2031%20073_zpszkibr7a6.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20022_zpstrhy8wrx.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20013_zpsymm1s6qq.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20059_zpsf1nleigo.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20054_zpsbuozl0js.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20082_zpsg7sqxoto.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20051_zpsipehbvca.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20029_zpsvh9wiqu8.jpg

But the highlight of the trip was when 73 year old O.D Forrester put this personal best 29 pound lump of Gold on the mat in the pouring rain late Thursday!!! Folks, talk about history!! This is what memories are made of!

Florida%20July%2031%20037_zps0ty25v98.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20042_zps7n3rtv3q.jpg

We had a ball but I will confess. It sure was good to get home, get cleaned up and chill out here in the air conditioned Captain’s Quarters. You just never know where the road might take us next but rest assured we will be anticipating our next opportunity for Lick and Release real soon!

Florida%20July%2031%20086_zpsmg5w5smt.jpg

Florida%20July%2031%20084_zpsyx3cmfxf.jpg

Last edited:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
That looks like fun, I would like to try that sometime.

Dr. Strangelove

Interesting information. I always like seeing the history of an area myself, and wondering who/what might have used bridges, dams,etc. I enjoyed walking across the Pont Nuef in Paris and imagining what and who had used the bridge for innumerable previous generations.

Wheeler2

Like you, my mind often wonders about the history involved in different parts. It is amazing to me how they built some of the bridges and dams in the early 1900's with the tech that they had.

cumberland

Carp are a great game fish. Have not fished for them in years, but i plan on doing it again soon. These trips with your buddies are what the outdoors are really about. Every river has something special about it.

Ballplayer

Have fished your spot many times since the late 60's (not for carp) and watched and waved at many barges and seemingly bored deckhands loaded with coal, fertilizer and other raw products back when they were going up to and returning from Bainbridge and Columbus but I never had the pleasure of seeing a Riverboat. The view North & South from the bridge is amazing if you get the chance.

Last edited: