How do y’all handle this

jonhayes

Caught some trespassers on my cell cam today. Of course they stole it too but to stupid to turn it off before they took it home. Got pictures inside the house/of them and a GPS tag to the address. Bibb county PD not much help, kinda blew me off. How do y’all handle?

Toliver

Who blew you off? Dispatch or a Deputy? Did you tell them you want to file a theft and trespassing report and you have evidence? If it was a Deputy, complain to a supervisor. If they steadfastly refuse to help you, see if your local game warden will step in and help.

ChidJ

You have total proof that someone has stolen something (could potentially be felony value) and location of the thieves and they told you to pound sand?!... unbelievable

No idea how to handle it. Just increasingly frustrated how little enforcement does to enforce other than write me tickets on my commute

Edit: a friend of mine who was a police officer said a surefire way to get them to do something is to call the sheriffs department and tell them you are going to confront the thieves and tell them to meet you there

Sounds bold to me but he says he guarantees they show up and do something

Last edited:

Toliver

It's not their job to decide what reports get written. Now the question is do you live there and can meet them or is this property you hunt at hours away from your house? If it's the latter, and you're not currently there, check their website for their procedures for filing reports on line.

HavocLover

Personally, I'd just go knock on their door. LE likely wont do a thing... Knock on the door, tell them everything you know so they know they're caught red handed and if not you'll call the law. Just that alone will probably make them hand it over and in turn, it'll send a pretty solid message not to mess with your property anymore... if you don't address it, they'll likely come back in the future. AT BEST, do like that moron whistling diesel did and force the laws hand. Call the law from the persons driveway and tell them you're bout to knock on the door so they might wanna make a move.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Caught some trespassers on my cell cam today. Of course they stole it too but to stupid to turn it off before they took it home. Got pictures inside the house/of them and a GPS tag to the address. Bibb county PD not much help, kinda blew me off. How do y’all handle?
Don't let them blow you off. Be persistent. It's their job to help you recover your stolen property & help prosecute the low down thieves.
Ask for a supervisor & be sure you get names & ID #'s.

sleepr71

I’d call the local DNR officer,since it’s a Trespassing,and THEFT violation. Go ahead and press charges…otherwise..they’ll just repeat this over & over. You have the needed Evidence. Be vigilant..they’ll probably try to retaliate..

Big7

The Oracle
Personally, I'd just go knock on their door. LE likely wont do a thing... Knock on the door, tell them everything you know so they know they're caught red handed and if not you'll call the law. Just that alone will probably make them hand it over and in turn, it'll send a pretty solid message not to mess with your property anymore... if you don't address it, they'll likely come back in the future. AT BEST, do like that moron whistling diesel did and force the laws hand. Call the law from the persons driveway and tell them you're bout to knock on the door so they might wanna make a move.
Worst idea I've heard lately.

HavocLover

Worst idea I've heard lately.
Lol… I’m speaking from experience bud. Literally had a similar situation within the last few months and had the names, tag numbers, address and everything. Called DNR, local authorities, everything and got zero help.

Big7

The Oracle
Short answer is go to either the county where the theft/tress pass occured or county where you got the ping if different.

If they are different, I'd see both Sheriffs, not Deputies, not supervisors, not beat cops- the Sheriffs- both on the same day and not tell them you saw the other one.

Next call would be the Ranger assigned to that county. You don't need a supervisor with them. They are all good.

I'd push it until they were prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law AND I got my cameras back or replaced by way of restitution.

Big7

The Oracle
Lol… I’m speaking from experience bud. Literally had a similar situation within the last few months and had the names, tag numbers, address and everything. Called DNR, local authorities, everything and got zero help.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

You raise enough Hades and they will go to work. :wink:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Wish I knew what to do…I’d keep making calls though

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Tell the police the thieves stole your cameras and are holding 2 dozen fresh glazed donuts hostage. That ought to get ‘em going! :bounce:

Lilly001

Don't let them blow you off. Be persistent. It's their job to help you recover your stolen property & help prosecute the low down thieves.
Ask for a supervisor & be sure you get names & ID #'s.
This^^^
Im not sure why everyone always calls the non emergency line. At my old agency we were set up to take ALL calls through 911.
At a smaller agency a call to a non emergency number can easily not get to someone who will take the correct action.