How much do you do?

Doug B.

I made up a dozen earth anchors today cause I didn't have any left. I make all my cable extensions, what few snares I have, drowning rods, rebar stakes, drags, etc. I also laminate any traps that need it, base plate, bubble tip the jaws, etc.

I like to be hands on with my own equipment. Some people just want to order their stuff ready to go and not have to work on any of it. I wish I could be like that. I would probably have more money if I was.

There is no wrong answer here. Either way is just personal preference. It doesn't make one way better than the other.

I just love the discussion!

2dye4

I made up a dozen earth anchors today cause I didn't have any left. I make all my cable extensions, what few snares I have, drowning rods, rebar stakes, drags, etc. I also laminate any traps that need it, base plate, bubble tip the jaws, etc.

I like to be hands on with my own equipment. Some people just want to order their stuff ready to go and not have to work on any of it. I wish I could be like that. I would probably have more money if I was.

There is no wrong answer here. Either way is just personal preference. It doesn't make one way better than the other.

I just love the discussion!
Doug,
I think I’m going to try chain on my earth anchors because I think chain is easier covered that the stuff cable. Also, yesterday when I was pulling mine out of the clay I had 2 to snap. Just food for thought.

2dye4

But to answer your question, I like constructing as much as I can as well. I’m like you. I try to be as much hands on as I can be.

furtaker

I tinker with my traps a little bit if they need it, but that's about it. Like adding swivels, shock springs, leveling pans, etc. I'm not a welder but I wish I knew how.

Doug B.

Doug,
I think I’m going to try chain on my earth anchors because I think chain is easier covered that the stuff cable. Also, yesterday when I was pulling mine out of the clay I had 2 to snap. Just food for thought.
I think chains would probably be better. I'm sure it would last longer!

2dye4

The 2 cables that snapped had no signs of weakness. That’s what worries me because if a coyote would have gotten caught, bye bye 2 550’s.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have also considered chain anchors rather than cable. They would definitely be easier to bury...

I have taken to wallering out the hole a bit and folding the cable end down into it, which works pretty good...

2dye4

I have also considered chain anchors rather than cable. They would definitely be easier to bury...

I have taken to wallering out the hole a bit and folding the cable end down into it, which works pretty good...
I’m with you on that rr. That’s why I think I’m welding chains to mine.

Doug B.

The 2 cables that snapped had no signs of weakness. That’s what worries me because if a coyote would have gotten caught, bye bye 2 550’s.
I agree! I haven't had any cable to snap, but I visually inspect mine every time I pull them and then again before I drive them in the ground. But I do think chain would be better and would keep you from worrying about it.

I dig the center of my trap bed deeper than the rest of the bed, then drive my anchor down so that the swivel is in the ground. Then when I pull it to set it the swivel is just right. I really can't stand for the cable to be sticking up in the trap bed.

furtaker

I'm old school. I double stake with rebar. Sometimes I use drags if it's a brushy area.

Certainly nothing wrong with cable stakes though. I've used them before too.

Doug B.

I'm old school. I double stake with rebar. Sometimes I use drags if it's a brushy area.

Certainly nothing wrong with cable stakes though. I've used them before too.
Nothing wrong with rebar either! There have been a lot of coyotes held by rebar stakes. There is no wrong way as long as the coyote is there when you get there.

I actually love that different people have different methods!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I really like tinkering with stuff and when I first started I built my sifter and my catch pole . If I ever decide I need more than the 20 traps I have I’d probably make my stakes and a few other things . Being kinda new I just bought most everything ready to go . I use the chained super stakes and they are tough . Over kill in this red clay where I live . Work is really getting in my way for trapping so far this year . Bud it want be long , probably 2 weeks

sleepr71

I’m mostly a DIY type,and try to save $$ when I can. This will be my first season (really)attempting trapping(not counting Hogs & Racoons). I didn’t do anything to the MB550’s & Dozen chain/earth anchors I bought other than rust em up with salt & Vinegar,then rinse + boil/dye/wax them. The used Duke #2’s I bought needed a bit of tuning up. They needed “night latching”,bubbles welded to the end of the jaws,pans leveled,and I “softened” the edge of the jaws in case I caught a non-target animal,then boil/dye/wax. Also attached some springs that I had to my earth anchor chains before boiling all of it. Not sure if the springs will really help prevent anything from escaping,but they won’t HURT anything..just a little more bulk to hide?. I’m off Tuesday & plan on setting all 12 then. Rained most of the day here,so I got nothing out today.

sleepr71

(?) Have any of you ever had a cable chewed through ? I’d think given enough time..a Fox or Yote could gnaw through a cable style anchor ? A chain seems like a safer bet..?

2dye4

I’ve never had a cable chewed into, but this is a picture of a 550 being toted off by hog that I think had both hooves caught in the trap. From the looks of the tracks it wasn’t a very big hog either.

Attachments

• 9C5A9C9C-D288-4863-A7B8-52361FF2AEC6.jpeg
    9C5A9C9C-D288-4863-A7B8-52361FF2AEC6.jpeg
    493.6 KB · Views: 21

Doug B.

I’ve never had a cable chewed into, but this is a picture of a 550 being toted off by hog that I think had both hooves caught in the trap. From the looks of the tracks it wasn’t a very big hog either.
Ouch! That's not good! I had a hog step in a blind set back in December. I saw his tracks when I got out of the truck. I started toward my trap and his tracks were going that way. I thought "oh no, he is going to step in my trap". Sure enough, when I got there it looked just like it would when a deer steps in a trap. Thankfully it didn't hurt anything.

Sorry you lost a trap to one Mark. That really stinks!

2dye4

Ouch! That's not good! I had a hog step in a blind set back in December. I saw his tracks when I got out of the truck. I started toward my trap and his tracks were going that way. I thought "oh no, he is going to step in my trap". Sure enough, when I got there it looked just like it would when a deer steps in a trap. Thankfully it didn't hurt anything.

Sorry you lost a trap to one Mark. That really stinks!
I’ve been looking for buzzards in the area because I know that he cannot survive like that. But we are talking about a hog though.