How much do you do?

rutnbuk

I tinker a good bit with my hunting and fishing gear- but trapping i dont- i wish had more knowledge on these things and I surely admire the guys that can. I would prefer everything being ready to go out of the box so I can "play" more in the field. I love the strategy puzzle so much scouting consumes what little time I have. putting my first sets in this week!

2dye4

Me to , I set some on hog trails years ago . And had several stepped in and were always empty
When you catch one with both front feet which I think this was, it’s very hard for one to pull out. Especially if it is an average sized pig. I’ve trapped a lot of average sized pigs in pens and to see their getty up as to their size and they’ll surprise you with their strength.

furtaker

I just watched Jeff Dunlap release a black bear from a #2 Bridger on YouTube. ?

He has some good informative videos. Check out his channel if you never have. He has good lures too.

2dye4

So..the hog pulled up an earth anchor..? Wow
He either pulled it or it broke. I pulled all of my traps in that area Sunday and reset them in a bottom and meant to go back today but ran out of time to see it the earth anchor was in the ground with the cable broken or if it was pulled. That’s is one of the reasons in going to chains on my earth anchors.

Doug B.

He either pulled it or it broke. I pulled all of my traps in that area Sunday and reset them in a bottom and meant to go back today but ran out of time to see it the earth anchor was in the ground with the cable broken or if it was pulled. That’s is one of the reasons in going to chains on my earth anchors.
Let us know when you figure out what happened. I watched a video on YouTube where they used Wolf Fang anchors on cables to snare hogs. I did have some blind sets on a trail that hogs made and caught a bobcat in one trap. A hog stepped in the other and pulled out. It would be an awesome place to put a snare if it were legal.

2dye4

Let us know when you figure out what happened. I watched a video on YouTube where they used Wolf Fang anchors on cables to snare hogs. I did have some blind sets on a trail that hogs made and caught a bobcat in one trap. A hog stepped in the other and pulled out. It would be an awesome place to put a snare if it were legal.
I will let you all know because the bed is still there and I can dig around to see if I can find it.

2dye4

I’ve never had a cable chewed into, but this is a picture of a 550 being toted off by hog that I think had both hooves caught in the trap. From the looks of the tracks it wasn’t a very big hog either.
I went back to the trap bed yesterday and found that the cable broke from what I’m guessing the hog pulling on it so much throughout the night. I think I may need to add another swivel to my gear!

Doug B.

I went back to the trap bed yesterday and found that the cable broke from what I’m guessing the hog pulling on it so much throughout the night. I think I may need to add another swivel to my gear!
That could very well be the case. I have had hogs step in two of my traps this year so far. One of them being last night. It stepped in one of my remaining one of three working sets. After the rain and snow I come down with what my wife and I think was a mild case of food poisoning. So I just barely have kept my traps checked. So most of them are not working now.

Anyhow, both hogs were big enough to pull out of the trap and it looked just like a deer had stepped in them except I could see the hog tracks.
A smaller one could actually stay in one I would guess. And you know it would really scramble around and possibly clog up your swivels.

2dye4

That could very well be the case. I have had hogs step in two of my traps this year so far. One of them being last night. It stepped in one of my remaining one of three working sets. After the rain and snow I come down with what my wife and I think was a mild case of food poisoning. So I just barely have kept my traps checked. So most of them are not working now.

Anyhow, both hogs were big enough to pull out of the trap and it looked just like a deer had stepped in them except I could see the hog tracks.
A smaller one could actually stay in one I would guess. And you know it would really scramble around and possibly clog up your swivels.
Yes, and I really think he had both front feet in the trap from the looks of the marks left in the road. I know the strength of a medium sized hog and I’m sure he gave it all he had to get out and the cable gave way first.

Doug B.

Yes, and I really think he had both front feet in the trap from the looks of the marks left in the road. I know the strength of a medium sized hog and I’m sure he gave it all he had to get out and the cable gave way first.
Both front feet in the trap would definitely make it harder for it to pull out I would think.

2dye4

And oh yea, by the way, you had Covid man don’t you know that food poison, cancer, flu heart attacks, stokes etc. don’t exist anymore.

Doug B.

And oh yea, by the way, you had Covid man don’t you know that food poison, cancer, flu heart attacks, stokes etc. don’t exist anymore.
Oh yeah, my bad! I must have had the new strain! I don't know what I was thinking!