How much do you tip your guide

Hawken2222

As a rule 15% of the cost of the hunt is a good rule of thumb. You may want to go more based on the service or the effort of the guide Even if you don't shoot a deer you should always tip your guide. There are several factors that will be beyond his control that could factor info you success or not.

Reactions: srb

Nimrod71

I have always based my tip on the service I received. Most guides really do work at trying to get you a shot. There has only been one time when I didn't tip the guides and that was because the two of them didn't off or do anything to help me or another hunter in the group. I didn't check this service out and i learned my lesson.

When I was guiding back in the 80'2 I always did all I could to make my clients have a good time, from picking them up at the air ports to cleaning and packaging their game. On several elk hunts I was ask to make their shot. I did have a couple of times when I was disappointed with the tip, but heck that's the way some people are. A guide quickly learns who to look for. My best tip was $1000 dollars for picking up and guiding two men from Belgium on a three day pheasant hunt in South Dakota.

billy336

Went out west on a 3 day mule deer/antelope trip. I think it was $4400. Guide was decent and I got my shots. Threw him $550 and the camp cook a hundo

TJay

Usually at least ten percent unless there was a perception that the guide didn't do everything in his power to provide a great experience or if the service is sloppy or unprepared. It happens.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I always do 10%. Dosent matter if its a whitetail or cape buff. I divide it up if needed.

If anyone is unhappy with the amount. They are free to give it back.

Rich M

You're gonna get a bunch of answers and there are a bunch of variables.

So, my opinion, is that you see how things go. Did the guide do stuff that helped you kill - or at least see more critters? Did he/she go above and beyond or do the bare minimum?

Folks often forget that there is a line of people wanting tips after every guided hunt - the outfitter, the guide, guide's helper, cook, and the secretary - I may have missed one or two. So a 3-day $1500 hunt would lend to about 15-20% ($225-$300) for tips - how do you break it down? Up to you.

Uptonongood

Whatever you choose, do not give a gift for a tip unless the guide requests it. I know guys who've done it and it sucks. Tips are helpful for guides in paying bills, a rifle scope or knife won't. The guided hunts I had were in another country so I gave 15% AND gifts like knives. Had two different guys ask for my hat, one hat was a Cabelas the other was a Wildlife Festival hat from Ludiwici. Go figure.