How scent conscious are you?

Al33

Most of us trad folks have to let the game get closer than those other fellers so I was a wonderin' just how you boys go about it.

I'll tell you right up front I don't go to any extremes especially when it's hot. The way I figure it no matter what I do or don't do by the time I get into a stand somewhere I am going to be dripping balls of sweat and smell like I just played all four quarters of football game. All I can hope for is that I am down wind of a deer or bears nose when the time comes.

I have tried all the stuff to eliminate my scent such as baking powder, scent killer, cover scents, and and even a Scent-lok suit, but not anymore. About all I do now is use unscented deodorant and spray scent killer on my rubber boots and legs.

What say you?

chinquapin

i'M THE SAME WAY WHEN IT'S HOT AL, ALL THAT PREPARING FOR THE WALK IN AND IT'S ALL GONE IN THE FIRST 100 YARDS. I DO WEAR A SCENT LIK SUIT WHEN IT COOLS DOWN IT HAS SEEMED TO WORK GOOD FOR ME.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I quit think'n bout all that stuff, seemed no matter what I did, I was always sniffed out, for some reason.
I do how ever wash my hunting clothes in Arm and Hammer soap, I keep them seperate from my other clothing. I don't use rubber boots, don't know why, maybe is I really don't like them, to me they are real uncomfortable.
I use unscented soap, (if there is such a thing) to bath with. I will splash on some baking soda as deoderant, on my hair and sprinkle some in my boots as well.
If at all possible, if I'm sit'n on a stand, (ground blind), I'll try an keep the wind in my face, the same with slip'n through the woods, but I find that most times, that rarely works. I try to hunt the thermals in the am and pm too. I try to hide from the nose, physically in the woods, not with coverups. All my kin before me, never used any type of cover up, and they kilt the heck out of deer ;)

Apex Predator

I do the scent free soap, shampoo, and spray some scent killer. My biggest strategy is knee high rubber boots, and avoid touching anything except the ground with said boots on the way in. Try and play the wind. That's about it for me.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The only special precautions I take are to try not to touch or brush up against any brush or limbs on the way in. I also pay very close attention to the wind, and play it in my favor.

You can probably cut back on your scent some, but I think it is impossible to completely eliminate it, especially if a deers` nose is as good as the experts say it is.

OconeeDan

One very easy thing that I do, is I hang all my hunting clothes in a zip up plastic wardrobe, that hangs in the closet. Put a dirt flavored scent wafer in there and the clothes soak it up.
I also spray down with a "scent eliminator", it's too easy to not do it.
Dan

robert carter

I wear rubber boots to the stand when stand hunting. I`ve already figured out where I`m gonna climb so there is no walking around. I use HS soap and oder spray. I also climb high usually over twenty feet and I will not hunt a stand with the wind wrong.
When I`m slip hunting I wear quiet clothes and snake boots and keep the wind in my face always.On the ground I`m convinced if the wind is wrong your busted no matter how clean you are.RC

pnome

I wash my hunting clothes in scent removing detergent, use a n Earth Scent dryer sheet. And shower with a scent killing bath gel before I head out. I also only change into my hunting clothes and boots once I get to where I am going to be hunting. I've got some chewing gum that I bought that is supposed to kill the scent from your mouth, not sure if it works, but I have found I like the pine flavor. Only pine flavored gum I could find.

Of course all this is just so I can have a reduced scent for about the first hour or two of my hunt.

I've got a windicator that I use to keep an eye on the wind. As long as that is reading right, I'm much more worried about making a lot of noise.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I try and minimize scent, but I think it's impossible to be "scent free". To me its one more thing to do to improve your chances - just like picking a good spot or playing the wind right. The more you do right, the better your odds.

Just BB

The way I sweat, there's not a scent lok suit made that would work for me. I get hot real easy so even in the coldest of days, I'm sweating when I get the the stand. My glasses fog so I spend most of the first hour, trying to cool down enough to put them on again without instant fog up. Since going traditional, I've also let go of the mounds of stuff I used to take to the woods. Camo's are old, mismatched and rubber boots in the heat, regular insulated boots in the cold. I like to rub a tarsal gland on my boots if I have one. The wind is always thought about.

ed'sboy

I wash my clothes in scent free and keep them bagged. I do shower with scent free soap and use scent free deoderant. I will use a spray on scent eliminator when I get to my stand to try and help cover my sweat. I sweat like a pig and humping up the hills I do makes it impossible to keep scent free. Play the wind as best I can and if all that doesn't work I'll just watch the squirrels.:banginghe