Howse brand disc harrow

sghoghunter

I’ve been looking for a 5 ft harrow for a few months and happened up on one this past Friday. I gave it a quick glance and made sure the gangs turned good and didn’t see anything but normal wear and tear but the price was a lil more than I wanted to spend. Yesterday morning I was looking on FB market place and saw it advertised for $400 less than what I was told. I went on and bought it yesterday afternoon and when I was unloading it I noticed two spots that was a lil more wear than I saw before but nothing that I wasn’t able to fix with $10 worth of bolts,lock nuts and a couple hrs of time. Does anyone else have this brand harrow?

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0509.png
    IMG_0509.png
    867 KB · Views: 107
They can be a pain in the rear to slide and change the pin holes. Especially if the frame or tubing has been bent or tweaked. If there are any cracks weld them up. Replace bolts with grade 8. Mixture of diesel fuel and burnt motor oil 50/50 after use helps a bunch with rust and lube

sghoghunter

They can be a pain in the rear to slide and change the pin holes. Especially if the frame or tubing has been bent or tweaked. If there are any cracks weld them up. Replace bolts with grade 8. Mixture of diesel fuel and burnt motor oil 50/50 after use helps a bunch with rust and lube

I haven’t found any cracks but I found a few loose bolt and nuts that caused some twisting where it shouldn’t but nothing to bad. I replaced two big bolts but going to use it like it sits now and work on it some after season goes out. My lil kubota pulls it good so I think I made a decent buy

sleepr71

I have a 7’ Howse harrow,and a 10’ bush hog. Both are good pieces of equipment. It’s not a Brown..but for 1/4 the price..I’m not complaining.;)

deers2ward

That's a great harrow. I had the same one for over 20 years and recently gave it to a buddy who just got a tractor and a farm. (At first when I saw your post and pics I wondered if he sold it but then I remembered the disc arms on the one I had was black, lol) I never messed with it or did any maintenance at all, just hooked it up and let it eat. Never had any problems.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

What he said about Grade 8 bolts. ^ A lot of implements come with softer bolts so they will shear under stress and not completely trash the implement. Replace them with Grade 8 and go slooow and you'll never have another bolt shear on you.

Ask me how I know this. I'll show you my collection of busted bolts. :bounce:

buckmanmike

The harrow I have has the old cast iron cheapo chinese bearings. Constantly having to grease or will be replacing bearing units. I guess I need more modern equipment. Sealed bearings would be nice.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The harrow I have has the old cast iron cheapo chinese bearings. Constantly having to grease or will be replacing bearing units. I guess I need more modern equipment. Sealed bearings would be nice.
I think grease only last so long. It still wore them out. No way around it. At first them bearings where cheap The price of them kept going up. I would keep old ones just in case I broke a new one. Learned that. Others would grease and break my fittings. My best grease gun got cross threaded by the work crew at the camps. I’d have a rag lied on the disc to clean the fittings. Before greasing. That would get thrown away. Lols. It was a little 4 ‘ set. A 6’ set was given to me. I fixed them up. The guy took them back then. Said it was for me to use. He wore them out. Asked if I wanted them. Lols. No !
Sealed is the way to go. They wear out too. But takes way longer.

BriarPatch99

I would fix those holes with solid 2" round stock pieces of steel drilled to right size holes.. use hole saw to drill pieces then weld flush .... never have worry about again...