Hunting at night vs noise ordinance?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Does our hunting rights trump noise ordinances?
Say for example you have property out in the country but houses nearby. And you want to hunt coyotes or coons, but you have unreasonable neighbors.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I think the law is on your side.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Say for example you have property out in the country but houses nearby. And you want to hunt coyotes or coons, but you have unreasonable neighbors.
What kind of noise could you make hunting that would violate a noise ordinance?
A gunshot from a reasonable distance shouldn't constitute a nuisance.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I just like to have all my ducks in a row because it will come up with my unreasonable neighbor. He's already threatening to sue me over my trail cams catching treaspassers off his property. Said I'm not allowed to point them towards them.

1eyefishing

Spalding co has noise ordinances
I thought you were in Upson...
Spalding has got to be the pits! (Nothing personal).
You ought to be OK if you just use the 9 mm.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make, continue or cause to be made or continued any loud noise which disturbs the peace or quiet of any neighborhood or which causes discomfort or annoyance to any reasonable person of normal sensitiveness residing in the area.
That's pretty vague. I don't see where it is enforceable in your situation.
With as much land as you're talking about, I would argue it's not a neighborhood.

Note to self: Do not move to Spalding county.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
How he gonna prove it? Unless he's gonna stay up all night every night with a thermal or NV camera, how's he gonna prove you made A noise. Unless you're out there doing mag dumps half the night, a shot here and a shot there shouldn't be a problem and I'd go for it.

1eyefishing

The following acts are declared to be loud, disturbing and unnecessary noises in violation of this article, but this enumeration shall not be deemed exhaustive:

(4)
Recreational vehicles with internal combustion engines. The using or operating of any motor vehicle for recreational purposes on private property, including but not limited to a motorcycle, dirt bike, or other all-terrain vehicles, between the hours of 9:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. This does not include trucks, tractors, or equipment used in normal agricultural activity.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I don't know anything about the noise ordnance's where your property is or your unreasonable neighbors, but I live in the country and folks like me expect to hear shots daylight to dusk during hunting seasons. That being said and aside from the laws in your county, I'd say consider these things.
1. Distance-100 yards vs 500 yards or more makes a big difference in the noise level.
2. Time-A single shot taken at 8:30pm might not get the same reaction as a shot taken at 2:30am.
3. Number of shots-One shot might not get much attention but 30 probably will.
4. Caliber-There's a big difference in noise between a .22, a .223, and a 7mm Magnum with a BOSS on it.
5. Last but most important-Know your target and what's beyond it. That can be difficult to do at night especially if there are some rural subdivisions in the area.

I'll edit to add that the very first thing I'd do is get a report into law enforcement about those trespassers coming from your neighbors property.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Hunt it.

Nothing they can do as long as you're outside city limits.