Hunting Clothes??

jeremyoo7

Getting some money for christmas need some new hunting clothes. Any suggestions on what to buy? Thinking about getting a fleece set but not sure how well it would hold up. If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. Also does the scent block make any difference?

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Fleece is great for thermal underwear. I have the expediton weight thermals and love it when the weather turns really cold.

Timbo

How much money?$25 $50 $300.Cant really tell you how you might go about getting what you need. :)

Plus what are you looking for?Fleece is ok, but there is better.

Sent block clothes are a good topic of difference.

Timbo

Gaswamp

Fleece is good and it will last. But, unless it is made with a windblocker material liner it will not cut the wind very well.

With all the new options

You never have to be cold again. But you have to pay for it. If you're looking for warmth plan to spend around $300 to $500. So many to choose from. Most of the upper end will also keep you dry. I think the scentlok helps. The suit I hunt with has the scentlok with ultra thinsulate. The shell is Dry plus and silent suede it is soft and quiet and water proof. I've hunted in Kansas in the snow with temperatures in the teens with 30 mph wind. It kept me dry and warm. Coat and bibs set me back about $400. Worth every penny.

Deerhead

Goretex!

GoreTex!

A good set of goretex will keep you warm and dry! I bought a 4in1 parka. I can use it all season long.

jeremyoo7

Have around 400 bucks to spend.

Will have around 300-400 bucks to spend thought about buying both a cold weather and a warm weather set of clothes but if I need to spend more on the cold weather stuff I will.

what brands should I look at I want something that will be quiet my old set everytime I lean up against the tree trunk when I lean up to move it sounds like velcro ripping off I hate it.

SWAMPFOX

One Word

Wool.

It is still in my opinion the best. I have a Woolrich wool shirt I bought at Galyans in Indianapolis in '84 that is still going strong. I have a pair of Woolrich "Malone" heavy weight hunting pants that are awesome. With these pants I use suspenders instead of a belt and bought them one size larger than normal to be able to wear long johns underneath. I find I stay warmer on stand in cold weather if my clothes are loose.

I have a Woolrich Gore Tex/Thinsulate hooded 3/4 length duck hunting parka I wear over that. And I also have a Duxbac Thinsulate hooded coverall that I wear when it really drops down on cold.

I have found that a balaclava type head covering in addition to a Goretex/Thinsulate cap in vital to keeping my bald head warm.

For my hands, I use wool mittens with a trigger finger.

Last edited:

TJay

If you don't already have one, a good gore tex rainsuit (jacket and bibs) would be essential. I have the packable, uninsulated jacket and bibs and they are great. I have the uninsulated because they are usable in warm or cold weather. They make a great outer layer when it' cold because they are great at blocking the wind. If I was going to buy a cold weather coat, get a parka and not a jacket. When you are sitting on a deerstand the jacket will ride up your back a little, leaving that area around your kidneys exposed. And, if you can wait on some of the various "end of the year, customer appreciation" sales you can stretch your money. Have fun!

gadeerwoman

Sounds like an excellent time to check out the Walmart clearance to me. I saw some Scent Blocker jackets marked down to $40. The 3-way systems are nice too. I prefer insulated bibs instead of coveralls and layer over that. And some good boots and fleece underwear, some wool socks and an insulated cap and you're set for cold weather. Leafy suits are nice for bow season but they do have a tendency to hang up on pine bark. The next month is gonna be a prime time to check out Cabela and Bass Pro clearance items too.

MCBUCK

Tailored Fit

Remewmber to look for WOmens specific sizes !! The better fitting the clothing the more comfortable you will be while hunting. If you are looking more for cool/cold weather attire don't discount the venerable wool outer clothing. It is great for all weather below about 50' and rain too. You can offset the itch by purchasing a good set of silk thermals available at Cabelas and Bass Pro. (yes I have worn the silk thermal before and no they weren't pink ! :eek: ) The silk gives you something soft against your skin. I have used wool thermals before too while istationed in Germany , but I like the silk much better. MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

gadeerwoman

Sierra Trading Post has the expedition weight fleece lined underwear on clearance for $13 each piece. Cheapest I've found anywhere. Walmart has a new fleeced underwear this year. I'll get to try it out tomorrow. Boots? make sure you get them larger than normal so with thick socks your feet still have room to move around.

leoparddog

Alot of the new stuff is grand, but don't forget about good old wool.

I have a pair of German army surplus heavy wool pants in a mottled green color that are quiet and very warm - and they didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I've hunted in this pair of pants every season for almost 20 yrs when its really cold as in "not going to get warmer than freezing".

Woolrich and some other firms make some great wool hunting clothes.

Plus wool will keep you warm even if you fall in the creek or they get soaked in the rain. Most modern stuff just can't do that.