Hunting in Prone position

j_seph

Anyone do it? I got a spot that this may be the most effective way. Problem is I do not see a way to be comfortable for 3 to 4 hours in neck and shoulders having to hold your head looking forward and raised up.

ryanh487

I've tried it a few times. I always fall asleep though. The key to being comfortable is to have something to rest your chest, chin and upper arms across to prop you up. A bipod for your rifle is definitely a requirement as well. I usually fold up a jacket over the top of my backpack to lay against and rest my elbows on the ground.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have several times back many years ago. I would be permenantly crippled now if I tried it for long. :bounce:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
my son killed his first deer and turkey laying prone. Have done it all my life whenever the circumstances dictate.

j_seph

Got a good buck I missed 3 or 4 weeks ago from ground with crossbow due to lack of patience. Put a lock on up for better vantage. He comes in during daylight when I ain't there. Afraid the way the terrain is my scent is getting to him before he gets there. Have had one that slips in right after dark and bust me as I am slipping out. Don't think it is him as he comes from the front and this one is from the right. Saturday the one that busted me came from the right again but earlier. It decided to ease along the steep slope behind me I am guessing to check and see if I was sitting there. Honestly this property there is no reason fro this deer to walk around the side of a 2/1 slope in pines instead of down the trail. There are a couple of sediment bays that I can get behind the berm of laying down and be hidden.

Rabun

Been reading in here about prepping with smoke to reduce/cover your scent. Wonder if that would help in this situation? I'm going to try it next week and see how it works.

j_seph

Been reading in here about prepping with smoke to reduce/cover your scent. Wonder if that would help in this situation? I'm going to try it next week and see how it works.
my thoughts as well is if you are flat on the ground that your scent will not spread as it would in a stand

HunterJoe24

I read a couple years ago that scent spreads in a 3D cone like shape with the wind no matter what. I doubt being on the ground will have any effect on how it spreads. Just wait till the right wind to hunt that stand