I am done with ramcats

Smackem

Over the years i have probably killed between 60-75 deer with a bow. I always shot rage, and never had to track a deer over 50 yards.

This season i shot a doe on opening day, with a rage hypo, and the arrow deflected off a twig and hit her in the rear leg, cut some arteries and still found the deer within 50 yards.

I was shooting a low poundage bow, so with that shot not passing through i decided to switch to a fixed blade head. I chose the ramcat based on penetration. These heads penetrate GREAT, i have shot two deer eith them so far.

That said, these are the first two deer i have ever shot that i could not manage to find. Great blood on both the first 40 feet, and the shot was right in the goody from reviewing my videos. I have had it with this, the one i shot yesterday evening was a huge buck ive been after.

So yeah, ive got some ramcats ill trade for some rage 2 blades. Got some replacement blades ill throw into the mix......

hoytslanger87

I would also like to see the videos. I am a huge rage fan, but Ramcats are my favorite fixed head. Every deer I've seen killed with them laid a great blood trail and massive damage.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
If they were in the good they are dead close by. Did you bring a dog in for either? I imagine they would find them quick.

alligood729

All due respect, no way to know exactly where you hit'em unless you put your hands on them. Let's see the videos...

BowanaLee

Respectfully, I haven't seen a broadhead made, that wouldn't kill any deer if its hit right. :huh:

satchmo

Never heard that. I've killed 81 deer, a bear, 10 hogs ,and two turkeys with ramcats in the last 7 years and have never been more impressed with a head. They don't ever go very far at all. Best blood trails I've ever had, but both lungs and I don't normally need a blood trail at all.

Smackem

Never heard that. I've killed 81 deer, a bear, 10 hogs ,and two turkeys with ramcats in the last 7 years and have never been more impressed with a head. They don't ever go very far at all. Best blood trails I've ever had, but both lungs and I don't normally need a blood trail at all.

Of the two ive shot with them, i know the first is dead. Buzzards and stench showed me that, the deer just ran off onto the neighboring property that i did not have permission to go onto at the time to retrieve. That problem has been solved.

The buck i shot yesterday is dead, no doubt. He just managed to make it off into some stuff that is so thick you cant see 5 feet in front of you.

I feel however, that if i were still shooting my rage heads that neither of these deer would have made it as far as they did, and my freezer would be alot heavier than it is now.

I followed some decent blood on both, just alot further than any of my previous bow kills. I guess iys all in finding what works for everyones individual needs, and rage fits that bill for me. All my rage kills, even the shot in the rear leg, there was enough blood that you would swear someone went in with a bucket of blood and was messin with ya.

BowChilling

I can't believe you wouldn't put a dog on either one of those deer. Especially the 2nd one. I can understand the one where you didn't have permission to track. But then again you are blaming the broadhead and in reality it is you that are to blame. The broadhead according to you killed both animals you just didn't bother to do all you could to find em!

Not trying to bash you about this but I don't get starting this thread... And I have never shot a Ramcat in my life.

Last edited:

Mudfeather

Maybe I'm dumb, but if you made a perfect hit with a field point, wouldn't it kill it?

Absolutely...I was talking to Keith Shannon one day...he was the invented of the bug tamer and he had got his arrows crossed up and in a mix up shot a buck with a field point..took out both lungs...dead. certainly not recommended but deadly..

BTW...since recorded time more life has been taken with a wooden shaft and rock or bone than all other weapons combined....

Last edited by a moderator:

Smackem

I can't believe you wouldn't put a dog on either one of those deer. Especially the 2nd one. I can understand the one where you didn't have permission to track. But then again you are blaming the broadhead and in reality it is you that are to blame. The broadhead according to you killed both animals you just didn't bother to do all you could to find em!

Not trying to bash you about this but I don't get starting this thread... And I have never shot a Ramcat in my life.
I agree that i am to blame. I went away from a system that has been proven to work well for me.

As far the dog goes, we tried two different dogs who are both very proven, so please dont make assumptions.

Flaustin1

Try a different dog. You said youre sure the buck is dead. If that's the case, any dog worth his salt would find him.

Smackem

Try a different dog. You said youre sure the buck is dead. If that's the case, any dog worth his salt would find him.

The area the deer is in (as far as i can tell anyways) is unbelievably thick. The dogs just would not go in it. The meat was probably already spoiled before we even made it out at daybreak this morning as the temp only made it down to 69 degrees this morning. My best bet at atleast salvaging the rack is gonna be to come back mid week, and follow the stench and cut my way in with my chainsaw. The whole area is extremely dense with those hard black thorny vines, and all kinds of other mess. I cant even dream of starting in there crawling on my belly.

Vines like this one pictured.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,251
I believe it comes down to what you have confidence in. I shot a doe Friday evening right through both shoulders and got a lung. It was a rage 2 blade razor tip. It ran 75 to 100 yards in thick swampy privet . Very little blood but I did find it. The shot was a tad high and to the right a little . Was it the broad heads fault ? Nope I didn't hit exactly where I needed to. If you have confidence in the rage then shoot them. 75 percent is shooter error and not equitment.. I have killed a many of deer with a bow with all kinds of broaheads and bows for over 20 years ! Most of the failures where not hitting where I needed to..sometimes an animals will to live takes the deer a lot father than we think.