If the season deer limits are changed to 2 bucks & 3 does

PappyHoel

Can you imagine the screaming and gnashing of teeth?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Duff

fine by me

BRADL

I would welcome it back. They are alot of places that the deer numbers are way down and 5 deer is plenty.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I would welcome it back. They are alot of places that the deer numbers are way down and 5 deer is plenty.

That will not solve the problem.

ryanh487

I vote we change it down to 2 bucks 4 points one side or better state wide for 2-3 seasons. Up to 3 doe tags are available per hunter at a bounty of 2 coyotes per tag. Herd will be booming in no time.

GADawg08

doesn't matter if the limit is 1 or 50.....the guys that wanna kill as many deer as they want are still gonna do it. However, I would be all for lowering the limit

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I say 3 bucks & 2 does. Maybe 4 bucks 2 does. 2 with 4 on one side. Other 2 any size.

shdw633

Since were all just throwing numbers out there that surely suit the individual thats posting those numbers with no regards to state wildlife management plans, I'll throw out my numbers: 1 buck/doe with a gun and 1 buck/doe with a bow. Additional doe permits by draw only based on individual county needs as far as the reduction or increase of herd size.

I always find it surprising that you all want the deer bag limit to decrease but never want to give up that second buck. You do realize that most hunters, once they bag their buck, usually stop going out any longer and that would have a positive affect on the deer herd that way too.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Since were all just throwing numbers out there that surely suit the individual thats posting those numbers with no regards to state wildlife management plans, I'll throw out my numbers: 1 buck/doe with a gun and 1 buck/doe with a bow. Additional doe permits by draw only based on individual county needs as far as the reduction or increase of herd size.

I always find it surprising that you all want the deer bag limit to decrease but never want to give up that second buck. You do realize that most hunters, once they bag their buck, usually stop going out any longer and that would have a positive affect on the deer herd that way too.

I'll throw mine out there - 1 Buck period. Your choice.:bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Taking bucks out of the herd doesn't hurt it. Taking does out kills it. Most of SC, for decades, had no limit at all on antlered bucks, but strict doe limits. Think about that, no limit on bucks. At all. Yet-there were always plenty pf bucks and does both in most areas. There were always plenty of deer. Bucks really don't matter in the long run. I would much rather kill young bucks for meat than to shoot does. Deer populations were fine until people wanted to start making bucks sacred and shooting does for meat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Here is why changing the limit to two or three does won't help in most of the Southeast:

The majority of Georgia has an average deer population of 25-30 per square mile, according to the latest info I could find in a quick search of the current deer management plan. If we go with 30 deer on 640 acres, that means roughly 15 does and 15 bucks. If that 640 acres is all in one club, and you have one hunter per hundred acres, you have six-seven hunters. If each hunter on that club kills one doe, about half the does on that land are now gone. If each hunter kills two does, which is fairly normal, you now have basically no does left. What's the population look like next year?

And people next year will be screaming that the coyotes ate all the deer. No they didn't- you did. And that's not even taking into account the deer on that property that actually were eaten by coyotes, run over by cars, or died from disease or old age.

Now, let's say that the 640 acres in question is a more realistic square mile: two 250-acre leases, two fifty-acre family farms, and a few smaller tracts of land. Each of those leases will probably have four-five hunters apiece. The family farms will probably have one or two people hunting each one. And at least a couple of the smaller tracts will have somebody hunting them. That's 16 likely hunters on that 640 acres. With 15 does and 15 bucks, and the bucks can't have fawns. And let's say that at least part of these folks will realistically be letting most of the bucks walk and shooting a doe or two for meat to save the bucks that aren't "shooters."

Do the math. And keep screaming about coyotes eating up all the deer.

If you want more deer, shoot less does and more bucks.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
2 bucks, 2 does, and 3 corn hunters.
Seriously though they ain't changing the limit. They control that with doe days.

Last edited:

biggdogg

Here is why changing the limit to two or three does won't help in most of the Southeast:

The majority of Georgia has an average deer population of 25-30 per square mile, according to the latest info I could find in a quick search of the current deer management plan. If we go with 30 deer on 640 acres, that means roughly 15 does and 15 bucks. If that 640 acres is all in one club, and you have one hunter per hundred acres, you have six-seven hunters. If each hunter on that club kills one doe, about half the does on that land are now gone. If each hunter kills two does, which is fairly normal, you now have basically no does left. What's the population look like next year?

And people next year will be screaming that the coyotes ate all the deer. No they didn't- you did. And that's not even taking into account the deer on that property that actually were eaten by coyotes, run over by cars, or died from disease or old age.

Now, let's say that the 640 acres in question is a more realistic square mile: two 250-acre leases, two fifty-acre family farms, and a few smaller tracts of land. Each of those leases will probably have four-five hunters apiece. The family farms will probably have one or two people hunting each one. And at least a couple of the smaller tracts will have somebody hunting them. That's 16 likely hunters on that 640 acres. With 15 does and 15 bucks, and the bucks can't have fawns. And let's say that at least part of these folks will realistically be letting most of the bucks walk and shooting a doe or two for meat to save the bucks that aren't "shooters."

Do the math. And keep screaming about coyotes eating up all the deer.

If you want more deer, shoot less does and more bucks.

Stop with the facts! The armchair wildlife biologists don't want to deal with such nonsense...