If the season deer limits are changed to 2 bucks & 3 does

lampern

With all due the respect the statewide limit in that bill is being changed to 12 deer either-sex statewide bag limit unless later amended by the DNR Board.

The DMAP provision allows property specific limits outside of the 12 deer limit no different than other states like North Carolina.

Changing the limit to 12 deer either-sex, I'm guessing, is a way to help landowners who won't qualify for DMAP, manage their own lands even more than the current limits. DMAP tags will help the landowners and clubs who need to shoot a lot more than 12 deer and are being hampered by the current limits.

All the state biologists have to do is set gun either-sex days and that is it if they want.

The 12 deer season bag limit remains but all 12 can be bucks if the DNR wants.

It gives the DNR more flexibility to set doe and antlered buck limits.

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
There is a official video that pretty much sums it all and that video is called King nothing.
Maybe you herd it or at least try to listen to the lyrics even if you can’t.:cool:

It seems to me the rules are changing yearly to define today’s hunter wishes and not so much herd needs or future.
Why not since it seems logical to a point at first???
Whether or not the deer herd is actually going to survive “this” time or not is totally up to us as responsible hunters of today and tomorrow. So listen to the video again and point the finger at yourself.

Dustin

FACT: Our DNR stats show the average Georgia hunter kills LESS than 2 deer per year.

Changing the limit to 5 will result in a net 0% impact. Won't change a dang thing.

Y'all gonna have to do better than that.

Then why did they run it up to 10 if it changed nothing from the regs we had before? Why did the deer suddenly all start getting "eat by coyotes" when they did?

But he wasn't advocating for that and he's right. Lay off the does and focus on the bucks and your population will increase. Assuming you don't kill all the bucks either.

That works for his top example... when you get to the realistic 640 acres it goes out the window, you're at the mercy of your neighbors, if you let them go they kill them, if you don't you have no deer anyway, then the thinking of I better kill it while i got the chance creeps in, your neighbors start doing the same which makes the mess we have now.

The deer herd is better than it was during the depression. They say better than 100 years ago. It’s better than when I was a kid in the 60 Ty’s.

You are right, but it's not as good as it was 15 yrs ago.

Yet here we are, repeating what put the deer herd in that shape over yet again

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Then why did they run it up to 10 if it changed nothing from the regs we had before? Why did the deer suddenly all start getting "eat by coyotes" when they did?

That works for his top example... when you get to the realistic 640 acres it goes out the window, you're at the mercy of your neighbors, if you let them go they kill them, if you don't you have no deer anyway, then the thinking of I better kill it while i got the chance creeps in, your neighbors start doing the same which makes the mess we have now.

You are right, but it's not as good as it was 15 yrs ago.

Yet here we are, repeating what put the deer herd in that shape over yet again

What put them in that shape. ? Back then and now ?

wow..........

these threads are really getting old.

If the limit was 1 deer a day, what difference would it make. You can already kill 12 and be within the law.

s&r

Troy Butler

Here is why changing the limit to two or three does won't help in most of the Southeast:

The majority of Georgia has an average deer population of 25-30 per square mile, according to the latest info I could find in a quick search of the current deer management plan. If we go with 30 deer on 640 acres, that means roughly 15 does and 15 bucks. If that 640 acres is all in one club, and you have one hunter per hundred acres, you have six-seven hunters. If each hunter on that club kills one doe, about half the does on that land are now gone. If each hunter kills two does, which is fairly normal, you now have basically no does left. What's the population look like next year?

And people next year will be screaming that the coyotes ate all the deer. No they didn't- you did. And that's not even taking into account the deer on that property that actually were eaten by coyotes, run over by cars, or died from disease or old age.

Now, let's say that the 640 acres in question is a more realistic square mile: two 250-acre leases, two fifty-acre family farms, and a few smaller tracts of land. Each of those leases will probably have four-five hunters apiece. The family farms will probably have one or two people hunting each one. And at least a couple of the smaller tracts will have somebody hunting them. That's 16 likely hunters on that 640 acres. With 15 does and 15 bucks, and the bucks can't have fawns. And let's say that at least part of these folks will realistically be letting most of the bucks walk and shooting a doe or two for meat to save the bucks that aren't "shooters."

Do the math. And keep screaming about coyotes eating up all the deer.

If you want more deer, shoot less does and more bucks.

Smart man :clap:. But, but, the real tree guys say to shoot all does and you will have bigger bucks. :crazy:

jfarrell30339

I agree with you 100%...

Taking bucks out of the herd doesn't hurt it. Taking does out kills it. Most of SC, for decades, had no limit at all on antlered bucks, but strict doe limits. Think about that, no limit on bucks. At all. Yet-there were always plenty pf bucks and does both in most areas. There were always plenty of deer. Bucks really don't matter in the long run. I would much rather kill young bucks for meat than to shoot does. Deer populations were fine until people wanted to start making bucks sacred and shooting does for meat.

1 buck can impregnate multiple does and that will help to restock the herd. I say 2 buck rule stays the same and no more than 2 does.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Here is why changing the limit to two or three does won't help in most of the Southeast:

The majority of Georgia has an average deer population of 25-30 per square mile, according to the latest info I could find in a quick search of the current deer management plan. If we go with 30 deer on 640 acres, that means roughly 15 does and 15 bucks. If that 640 acres is all in one club, and you have one hunter per hundred acres, you have six-seven hunters. If each hunter on that club kills one doe, about half the does on that land are now gone. If each hunter kills two does, which is fairly normal, you now have basically no does left. What's the population look like next year?

And people next year will be screaming that the coyotes ate all the deer. No they didn't- you did. And that's not even taking into account the deer on that property that actually were eaten by coyotes, run over by cars, or died from disease or old age.

Now, let's say that the 640 acres in question is a more realistic square mile: two 250-acre leases, two fifty-acre family farms, and a few smaller tracts of land. Each of those leases will probably have four-five hunters apiece. The family farms will probably have one or two people hunting each one. And at least a couple of the smaller tracts will have somebody hunting them. That's 16 likely hunters on that 640 acres. With 15 does and 15 bucks, and the bucks can't have fawns. And let's say that at least part of these folks will realistically be letting most of the bucks walk and shooting a doe or two for meat to save the bucks that aren't "shooters."

Do the math. And keep screaming about coyotes eating up all the deer.

If you want more deer, shoot less does and more bucks.

Smart man :clap:. But, but, the real tree guys say to shoot all does and you will have bigger bucks. :crazy:

Well the Real Tree Guys have never been too smart in my opinion. They just want to sell you something that you don't need.

In my case, I haven't killed a doe since back in the early 1990's and I killed NO DEER from 1999 up to 2011 as I didn't do any hunting during the time. I have only killed a total of 4 bucks during the past 7 years.

I think that it should be a 2 buck and also a 2 doe limit statewide. In my opinion, it should be more like a maximum 2 doe limit as it is absurd to have a 10 doe limit with two bucks. That is enough venison to feed a "normal family" and if you are starving because of that fact, then get a job or an extra job and buy some groceries at the supermarket like most other people.

I DON'T shoot ANY DOES on my property as I don't need them for meat etc. The reason that I have plenty of bucks on my property is because the does are there and they hang out together year round.

Last edited:

baddave

gotta get 4 deer some way some how .. my wife, dog and I eat 4 per year .. perfect

shdw633

Well the Real Tree Guys have never been too smart in my opinion. They just want to sell you something that you don't need.

In my case, I haven't killed a doe since back in the early 1990's and I killed NO DEER from 1999 up to 2011 as I didn't do any hunting during the time. I have only killed a total of 4 bucks during the past 7 years.

I think that it should be a 2 buck and also a 2 doe limit statewide. In my opinion, it should be more like a maximum 2 doe limit as it is absurd to have a 10 doe limit with two bucks. That is enough venison to feed a "normal family" and if you are starving because of that fact, then get a job or an extra job and buy some groceries at the supermarket like most other people.

I DON'T shoot ANY DOES on my property as I don't need them for meat etc. The reason that I have plenty of bucks on my property is because the does are there and they hang out together year round.

Sounds to me that the reason you have plenty of buck on your property is because you don't shoot them, bucks or does. That is not a "typical" scenario for most hunters. I personally eat six deer per year, regardless of whether they are bucks or does or whether they are taken in Georgia, Michigan or Illinois and I do well in life, it's just that me and my family eat venison everyday. Just had some venison chili for lunch and will have venison spaghetti for dinner and come to think of it I had venison sausage for breakfast! I do consider myself to be a "normal" family as well.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Personally, I don`t care what the limit is.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Dustin

What put them in that shape. ? Back then and now ?

then, overharvest, less habitat, etc. now, overharvest, less habitat, motor vehicle collision, Etc.

Look at the harvest reports for the last 18 years... for the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the number of deer per hunter and percent of successful hunters is the lowest it's been in 18 years, yet supposedly the deer hunting is better?

People aren't killing less for the fun of it... if they were then there would be no reason for DNR at all and it would balance itself, which is what DNR says it's doing, they're killing less because they aren't there.

shdw633

then, overharvest, less habitat, etc. now, overharvest, less habitat, motor vehicle collision, Etc.

Look at the harvest reports for the last 18 years... for the 2015 and 2016 seasons, the number of deer per hunter and percent of successful hunters is the lowest it's been in 18 years, yet supposedly the deer hunting is better?

People aren't killing less for the fun of it... if they were then there would be no reason for DNR at all and it would balance itself, which is what DNR says it's doing, they're killing less because they aren't there.

I don't totally agree with this. I think there is a lot more restraint by hunters to not pull the trigger. When the limits were first put out there as high as they were I think hunters felt the need to get as many as they could and over time they have seen that it's not that necessary to kill that many deer even though you can. I know in the last 8 years on the club that I am on that is what I have seen, especially as the average age of the hunter keeps rising the need for meat decreases.