If the season deer limits are changed to 2 bucks & 3 does

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
People aren't killing less for the fun of it... if they were then there would be no reason for DNR at all and it would balance itself, which is what DNR says it's doing, they're killing less because they aren't there.

I don't totally agree with this. I think there is a lot more restraint by hunters to not pull the trigger. When the limits were first put out there as high as they were I think hunters felt the need to get as many as they could and over time they have seen that it's not that necessary to kill that many deer even though you can. I know in the last 8 years on the club that I am on that is what I have seen, especially as the average age of the hunter keeps rising the need for meat decreases.

What he said. ^ I haven't allowed anybody to kill a doe on my place since 2010. The clubs around me are all bone hunters as well and don't kill does either. Slowly the population is starting to rebound.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What he said. ^ I haven't allowed anybody to kill a doe on my place since 2010. The clubs around me are all bone hunters as well and don't kill does either. Slowly the population is starting to rebound.

I haven't killed a doe in years myself, except for one spot I hunt in eastern NC where the deer are almost overpopulated. I've been killing forkhorns and spikes for freezer meat. With this approach, I've been seeing more deer the last couple years.