If you were gonna buy one?

ErikGibb

Looking for recommendations for a bass fishing kayak. What do you have and pros/cons? Thanks

Coenen

What's your budget?

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I love my Pescador 12 if you're not looking to break the bank. Much better options for more $$$ though.

Yakman22

Like folks have already mentioned, it depends on budget and what kind of water you will be on mostly. I have a old town predator MX and I love it. You just missed a **** of a deal on Vibe kayaks, that seaghost 110 they had on sale for $700 out the door was a steal. My first yak was a pescador 12 and I paid $400 for it, i still have it and it’s a great kayak, only problem is it doesn’t have a platform seat. I’ve been on probably 5 or 6 different Jackson’s, they are good kayaks but I think they are a little over priced.

Coenen

Like folks have already mentioned, it depends on budget and what kind of water you will be on mostly. I have a old town predator MX and I love it. You just missed a **** of a deal on Vibe kayaks, that seaghost 110 they had on sale for $700 out the door was a steal. My first yak was a pescador 12 and I paid $400 for it, i still have it and it’s a great kayak, only problem is it doesn’t have a platform seat. I’ve been on probably 5 or 6 different Jackson’s, they are good kayaks but I think they are a little over priced.
Vibe is keeping that deal going until all of their 2018 stock is gone. At least at their Kennesaw HQ.

IvyThicket

Like others have said, budget is the biggest question. Use is the 2nd biggest question. River, lakes, inshore, a little of everything?

weagle

I went through the process about a year ago and bought a Pelican Catch 100. I've been 100% happy with the catch for my purposes (I even bought a second one)

Here's the thread:

http://forum.gon.com/threads/pelican-catch-100-first-kayak.917003/

There are even more great choices out there now. Just in the last year, the features have gone up and the prices have come down from most makers. You no longer have to pay $1500 to get a great fishing kayak.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Don’t rule out used. Look around and you will find the high end kayaks for half the price.

Bream Pole

I have a Jackson Tripper 12. It is the same hull as the Kilroy which is rigged for fishing. Its cost was right at $1000. It is a hybrid. Very very stable. I rigged it for fishing as I wanted it rigged for a lot less than the difference in cost.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

The new ones have great seats and a great seat is VERY important no matter what king of fishing you'll be doing.

jocko755

Looking for recommendations for a bass fishing kayak. What do you have and pros/cons? Thanks

Pros/cons,

Sit in = drier, light weight and usually cheaper. Con - difficult to enter and exit, limited storage. (Swifty, Old town Otter)

Sit on top = Easy to get in and out, stable, lots of storage and accessory tracks.
Con - heavier and more expensive. (WS Tarpon)

If you will be fishing moving water (river current) you want a hull that is round or smooth. Short 10 ft models are better.

If you will be fishing lakes or off shore, a longer model will be easier to paddle (12 -14) and one with a keel hull will help with its tracking.

A wider sit on top - will allow you to stand and fish. But these models are heavy and cost more. And are difficult to lift on a roof rack. Most will use a kayak trailer.

I suggest going to a dealer paddle day where you can try many models to see what works best.

IvyThicket

Just wondering, you don't happen to be a government employ of any type are you? (local, federal, state)

Only reason I ask is because NuCanoe has a BIG discount through LEOadventures if so.

Cmp1

BANNED
Just wondering, you don't happen to be a government employ of any type are you? (local, federal, state)

Only reason I ask is because NuCanoe has a BIG discount through LEOadventures if so.
Nope,,,,just looks like a great Yak,,,,will be the only Yak I'll ever get,,,,The Atac 120 is nice too though,,,,but not as wide,,,,
Would like a military discount,,,,