Illinois Firearm Season 2023

Jim Boyd

I'd venture to say IL is more red than GA is... they have Chicago to compete with... GA has ATL, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Augusta, Albany. I'm sure theres others I'm missing.

I think this rifle season is just merely keeping up with times. Over the last few years straight walled calibers have become super popular. I think IL as a whole is just evolving with times but also trying to keep it 'sporting' hence the whole single shot thing.

I don't think itll change much. Your out of state hunters are still only gonna be able to go once a year at 1-1.5 weeks time. They'll still likely opt to go during peak rut which is still archery. Your gun seasons are going to stay the same. Its not like they extended the season or anything. Merely broadened your choice of weapons.... from the research I've read up on.

Hard to say it much better than that.

Straight wall calibers are common now and that is good for the gun companies and good for sportsmen.

I am looking forward greatly to trying to dial my 350 L in.

I have a 20 gauge slug gun but I will not say I got it dialed in. Maybe 3” at 100 yards. Put a new scope on it (Redfield) a few weeks ago and will play with it in the new year. Have a bag of various slug types.

buckpasser

Gotta love the haters!

Great buck @ILbowhntr !

What difference does it make if you can only have one round in the gun???

We only have one arrow on the bow or crossbow.

I am sure that I can put a new round in a rifle a HECK of a lot faster than I can re-cock my crossbow and put a new bolt on the rail.

Someone said stupid people make stupid laws - I would note also that narrow minded people take narrow minded views.

Maybe Illinois is not like it was in the 90’s - I don’t know because I was not there - I have only been going about 12 years.

Here is what I do know…. Put 10 guys with bows in the southeast and then put 10 equally capable hunters with bows in Illinois - and then measure P&Y bucks taken over 5 or perhaps 10 years. It is not even gonna be close.

Don’t like it?? Don’t go!

Hate Chicago? Choose another state!

I may have mentioned also - the people in the farm land hate Chicago and are as good as the people here in the south. It is just that Chicago has the people to outvote them.

I am from the south (Screven county) and I love it here. Will never live anywhere else - but if you want to tilt the odds in favor of big bucks - and most of us do - the Midwest is a superior way to get it done.

I REALLY like the people of rural Illinois. Enough so that I’ve half heartedly kicked around moving up there to finish raising my kids in IL. There are bad people everywhere, but it seems harder to find them in the county I hunt there and the friends I’ve made there are as good of people as I’ve found.

As for the deer hunting, meh, it’s okay where I hunt, but I’m about to enjoy it more beginning next season with the blackout. At least my kids are!

Jim Boyd

I REALLY like the people of rural Illinois. Enough so that I’ve half heartedly kicked around moving up there to finish raising my kids in IL. There are bad people everywhere, but it seems harder to find them in the county I hunt there and the friends I’ve made there are as good of people as I’ve found.

As for the deer hunting, meh, it’s okay where I hunt, but I’m about to enjoy it more beginning next season with the blackout. At least my kids are!

I could not move there but I do love my visits and my hunts.

I love the south too much.

Plus we have the coast which Jo and I love.

Good luck if you go!!!!

buckpasser

I could not move there but I do love my visits and my hunts.

I love the south too much.

Plus we have the coast which Jo and I love.

Good luck if you go!!!!

I’m losing my love for the south. Too many gnats and, types of people I don’t like. It makes me sick. Illinois isn’t perfect either. My friends there tell me that. Probably won’t be totally happy until I’m inside the pearly gates!

slow motion

Been wanting a Ruger Ranch. Thinking that 350 legend might work well for Illinois. Anyone know if there is a 0 capacity magazine for it? Otherwise sounds like I'd need to just leave the mag at home.

HavocLover

Been wanting a Ruger Ranch. Thinking that 350 legend might work well for Illinois. Anyone know if there is a 0 capacity magazine for it? Otherwise sounds like I'd need to just leave the mag at home.

In the IL regs it actually states that you can have a multi round weapon, just leave the mag at home. The mag can’t be within arms reach, or something to that effect. But it most certainly makes mention of that.

Which is perfect, I own several of the legal calibers. 1 is an AR, the others are 3-4 round bolt guns. I think this is stellar. I have a hard time buying a one dimensional rifle that I might use once or twice. Heck, even if I was an IL residence I’d have a hard time with that. But with that clause in there, now you can buy (or use what ya got) a regular rifle. Just keep the mag at the house. That way, whenever you’re back home in the GA woods you can slam it full of ammo… or if you’re an IL resident, you can still go plinking at the range whenever you want.

Two of the rifles I have of the approved calibers, they’re Ruger Ranch. I’ve been pleased with them. I put a Boyd’s stock on one. The stocks on them guns give me a super cheap vibe and I’m not a fan of that. But either way, for the price point I’ve been pleased.

bilgerat

Senior
Im gonna have to buy a rifle for hunting up there, All of mine wont meet their rules. I wish My model 70 had a drop out magazine, Its a early 70s model top loader so she will have to stay at home:mad:. Thinking of getting a 350 legend of some sort.

slow motion

Im gonna have to buy a rifle for hunting up there, All of mine wont meet their rules. I wish My model 70 had a drop out magazine, Its a early 70s model top loader so she will have to stay at home:mad:. Thinking of getting a 350 legend of some sort.
I'm liking the idea of a new rifle anyway. Got some with a detachable magazine but 06 and 7 mag aren't approved. Just as well. I'd be tempted to exceed my limited skills with either.

uturn

I'd venture to say IL is more red than GA is... they have Chicago to compete with... GA has ATL, Savannah, Macon, Columbus, Augusta, Albany. I'm sure theres others I'm missing.

I think this rifle season is just merely keeping up with times. Over the last few years straight walled calibers have become super popular. I think IL as a whole is just evolving with times but also trying to keep it 'sporting' hence the whole single shot thing.

I don't think itll change much. Your out of state hunters are still only gonna be able to go once a year at 1-1.5 weeks time. They'll still likely opt to go during peak rut which is still archery. Your gun seasons are going to stay the same. Its not like they extended the season or anything. Merely broadened your choice of weapons.... from the research I've read up on.
Bingo…agree or not!

TurkeyKiller12

I'm looking hard for one of the Henry single shots in the .350 but can't find one anywhere. I have a savage axis II in the .350. If I can't find a Henry I guess I'll take my savage and leave the magazine at home. I don't want any trouble at all with the game wardens up there.

Jim Boyd

I'm looking hard for one of the Henry single shots in the .350 but can't find one anywhere. I have a savage axis II in the .350. If I can't find a Henry I guess I'll take my savage and leave the magazine at home. I don't want any trouble at all with the game wardens up there.

I have been at Charlie’s for 10 years and hunted a few years prior to that.

I am sure they have wardens but not only have I never been checked, I have never SEEN one of their trucks.

I agree that we want 0 issues.

cowhornedspike

Y’all are correct, illinois has some really stupid laws and lawmakers. Bring your wheel gun with 6 rounds of 44 mag, but your rifle can only hold 1. Duh.
Here’s my first buck this year. Not huge, but I was tired of waiting and was having surgery in 4 days.
Still have a few weeks left to hunt.
Your shotgun doesn't have to be a single shot either...

bilgerat

Senior
wonder if I could somehow put a plug in My marlin 44mag lever gun and make it legal, any thoughts?

earlthegoat2

wonder if I could somehow put a plug in My marlin 44mag lever gun and make it legal, any thoughts?

Depends on interpretation but I would think you could as long as the plug is an internal modification. Ie: pulling the mag cap off and inserting a full mag tube length dowel for the plug. That way the plug is behind the mag follower.

If you can plug 5+ shot shotguns to 3 rounds for duck hunting, you should be able to do the same to render a repeater to single shot.

bilgerat

Senior
I just looked it up and you can if altered properly
Effective Jan. 1, 2023, any rifle chambered in a legal caliber and either manufactured or modified to be a single shot (capable of holding only one round in the magazine and chamber combined) may be used to hunt deer.

A gun shall be considered a single shot if there is no magazine in the possession of or in close proximity to a hunter in the field, and the gun can only hold a total of one round.

Modification of a rifle originally manufactured as a repeater (a lever action/bolt action/pump action/semi-automatic, etc.) to a single shot can take many forms, including but not limited to:

• not having the detachable magazine in possession or close proximity,
  • removing internal magazine springs and followers,
  • using a plug to block the magazine tube,
  • purchasing “0 round” magazines,
  • or modifying the receiver or internal magazine of the rifle.

livetohunt

Straight wall cartridges allowed in Illinois will further erode the number of mature bucks going forward. More gun hunters equal more young bucks being shot. The trend was started with crossbows and continues with straight walls. Illinois is looking at short term money increases but in the long run it will hurt them. As the number of "trophy" bucks decline over time (due to crossbows and straight walls), hunters will look for other states to start hunting

bilgerat

Senior
Im seriously looking at the Winchester XPR hunter in 350 legend, seems to have good reviews and detachable mag. Price aint bad either