Internet options in the sticks

j_seph

Needing options for internet at my new house. Currently there is no fiber network so I guess we will have to go wireless?

We have a jet pack from Verizon but only get 15 gigs a month and the kids use that up in about a week streaming shows.

Are there any other options for somewhat fast internet and plenty of gigs?

I’ve checked satellite internet but it’s like $100 a month for 50 gigs. I’ll pay that if I have to but would like to hear any other options I may have.
Have you looked into go unlimited with verizon? We just hotspot our phones for internet and hulu

stringmusic

Have you looked into go unlimited with verizon? We just hotspot our phones for internet and hulu
We are unlimited but they slow the speeds after 15 gigs a month, I’d rather find something that’ll just give me the gigs I need for the whole month

stringmusic

String, if AT&T doesn't have a copper line to your house, and no cable company has it either, you have no choice but to go wireless but there are options for wireless, it's just none of them are cheap and/or provide much bandwidth and may or may not be fast and/or reliable. It's one of the conveniences you give up living in the sticks but it's one I wouldn't mind giving up...someday...just not until I hang up my work hat for the easy chair.
I ended up calling a guy who is gonna install a Verizon modem and router and some kind of antenna. It’s $130 a month but he said I’d get 150-200 gigs a month and I’m 2.9 miles to a tower so I should have decent speeds to stream tv. It’s month to month with no contract so I’ll cancel it and try something else if it don’t work.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Dynami wireless with a booster. Unlimited, not throttled. $100.00 a month. It’s what we have. So far so good.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I ended up calling a guy who is gonna install a Verizon modem and router and some kind of antenna. It’s $130 a month but he said I’d get 150-200 gigs a month and I’m 2.9 miles to a tower so I should have decent speeds to stream tv. It’s month to month with no contract so I’ll cancel it and try something else if it don’t work.

Let me know how that works. Download the speed test app and run a few test different times of the day and see how it does.

K80

Dynami wireless with a booster. Unlimited, not throttled. $100.00 a month. It’s what we have. So far so good.
How long have you been with Dynami? What kind of speeds?

fireman32

How long have you been with Dynami? What kind of speeds?
6 months or so. A good average is 25 megs download and 10 upload. It has in the last month or so slowed a bit during peak times. We’ve had 2 T.V.’s and 3 phones running at the same time with no trouble. I can’t stress the booster enough, without it, we were only getting 3 megs download.

K80

6 months or so. A good average is 25 megs download and 10 upload. It has in the last month or so slowed a bit during peak times. We’ve had 2 T.V.’s and 3 phones running at the same time with no trouble. I can’t stress the booster enough, without it, we were only getting 3 megs download.

That's great compared to what I used to get when dsl was offered here. Now that dsl isn't offered satellite is all we can get. If a booster could get me close to that I'd be pleased. Once I get some funds up I'll pull the trigger with them.

What booster?

fireman32

I don’t remember exactly and it’s on a pole above my roof, but we ordered the booster from the dynami website.

stringmusic

Guy came and installed the modem and router last night. Cost me $508 for installation and such. He said I was getting speeds between 10-15 last night in prime time, so we will see how it goes.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Internet has became a necessity like power or water. If someone could come up with a fix all for rural people that was fairly priced and worked good they would make a killing.

stringmusic

Internet has became a necessity like power or water. If someone could come up with a fix all for rural people that was fairly priced and worked good they would make a killing.
Yep, I’d bet there is something in the works in the technology world now. Somebody is gonna get really rich really fast when and if they come up with something.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Several ideas have been floated for total coverage Internet. Someone was even talking about links from all the commercial aircraft flying overhead all the time but then the COVID came and the aircraft quit flying.

stringmusic

How has this worked so far?
It’s worked great. Every now and then it’ll buffer but I’d say about 95% time it works flawless. We run a PlayStation, and 4 TVs off of it and my wife is working from home everyday and has had zero problems with the internet in the computer.