Is “GoFundMe” any different...

Mexican Squealer

Than panhandling? Thinking about the panhandling thread made me wonder....sure have seen folks asking for money then “living their best life” (taking trips, buying expensive stuff etc) after people rally to pay their bills. How is that different? Should I be paying your bills that you either didn’t have the money, savings or insurance to cover? Or...for you to be able to adopt, send you kids to the moon or buy that fancy guitar you are wanting? Curious what folks think about this.....

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Mostly, yes, I agree it's panhandling.

In instances where someone or a family experiences a sudden, unexpected loss (house fire, loss of a breadwinner), I think it's OK to use as an easy means to donate to a cause that an individual outside an immediate circle of influence may not otherwise be able to.

Like most other things, it has it's good and bad side.

What's with the phrase "living their/our best life"? I've heard that more and more lately.

alphachief

Let’s face it, our society has substantially watered down the concepts of self reliance, pride and shame. We’re living in a time when many Americans not only have no self respect…they broadcast it daily on social media for everyone else to see.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think GoFundMe is a mixture of panhandling and legitimate causes. I've seen the devastation caused to a family by sudden unexpected medical bills, deaths, house fires, and such. Saying that everyone in the country should have a big pile of money saved back for an emergency is pretty ludicrous. It's just an impossibility for a lot of folks. There are lots of folks out there on hard times with legitimate needs. The bad part is, a lot of those are the last ones to ask for help. I've also seen the flipside- folks who don't need money at all asking for it to keep up a lifestyle most of us will never live.

I could see a go fund me for some family or animal in need but then you still got wonder if the money get where it’s supposed to be

Mexican Squealer

Plenty of non disaster GoFundMe pages...just a quick glance and you will have the opportunity to donate to “Jordan the Stallion”...Iordan needs a new car and has had a rough time. He would like a Tesla...his goal is 80,000. He is currently just over $3,000 as he marched towards his goal.

Doboy Dawg

Go fund me is a idea, that the church should be doing anyway. It’s creators figured out how to use a noble cause to get wealthy.

Yes it does help those in need, it also helps the irs because anything you receive is taxable income. So after administrative costs and taxes, what portion actually meets the need?

I donated to a coworker in need from a medical issue. After that I was bombarded with requests from others with additional needs. Many were legitimate and some were like help Aunt Franny get her pack of rescue hounds spayed.

I will no longer donate through them. I will donate to a legitimate bank account set up for the beneficiary.

No, I dont donate to gofundme pages either.

Someone I know set one up because they were going through tough times and then their kid spilled the beans that they got a new Iphone13 for Christmas.

People have no bottom level when it comes to handouts.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Mostly, yes, I agree it's panhandling.

In instances where someone or a family experiences a sudden, unexpected loss (house fire, loss of a breadwinner), I think it's OK to use as an easy means to donate to a cause that an individual outside an immediate circle of influence may not otherwise be able to.

Like most other things, it has it's good and bad side.

What's with the phrase "living their/our best life"? I've heard that more and more lately.
I despise that saying. It’s like people have meetings to decide on language tweaks. Like people begging sentences with “So...”.?. When and why did this start? Who decided it sounds smart?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I despise that saying. It’s like people have meetings to decide on language tweaks. Like people begging sentences with “So...”.?. When and why did this start? Who decided it sounds smart?
So...., I originated that saying back in 1987 when I was living my best life. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’m going to punch you next time I see you.
I'll cut you with my rusty pocketknife. And sing Barry Manilow songs over your carcass while you lay there and bleed out. Or Taylor Swift.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I'll cut you with my rusty pocketknife. And sing Barry Manilow songs over your carcass while you lay there and bleed out. Or Taylor Swift.
That will only work if your rusty knife is made of silver and even then you’ll need to make sure I’m thrown in running water or I’ll just rise again.1643404817480.gif

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member