Is Jesus the only way?

Artfuldodger

Could the Old Testament folks have just believed in God and gained salvation from that fact? Sure the Jews knew of the promise of Jesus but what about the Gentiles? Were they ever without hope and strangers to the promise?
Does every Gentile on an individual basis now have hope? I'm trying to see how salvation was presented to the Gentile world before and after Christ as it relates to how they did then and do now, become adopted Jews and heirs to the Kingdom.

Considering again that Jesus is the only way.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Considering that Jesus is the only way, what does that mean? Especially to every Gentile who has never heard of the fall or a need because of it.
Did Jesus' death cover their sins too? Was his death enough even if they only know God? Can they know Jesus by knowing only God?

Must one actually believe Jesus died for their sins because I don't see where a lot of people have been given that opportunity.

Artfuldodger

Considering that Jesus is the only way and the Trinity concept, isn't know God, knowing Jesus? At least for the Gentiles maybe.

The Jews knew God but didn't believe in Jesus. Does it make a difference if one knows and doesn't accept the belief in Jesus vs one who only knows Jesus by knowing God?

Then you take someone like a Hindu. He is blinded from believing in Jesus by his own indoctrination. Yet he is without excuse. Considering his indoctrination, does he still have a choice? Perhaps the Holy Spirit can lead one of them to God through Jesus. Otherwise, I don't see much hope for the Hindu much less the even more isolated Gentile world.

If world means "World." Whole world Gentiles, local Gentiles, salvation to the Christian world, whosoever?

hobbs27

Art, it makes a difference. Jesus is the only way to the Father...to eternal life.

There's not a soul in heaven that didn't get there through Jesus.

Artfuldodger

Art, it makes a difference. Jesus is the only way to the Father...to eternal life.

There's not a soul in heaven that didn't get there through Jesus.

Yes, through Jesus. His life, physical death, and resurrection.

"There is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

Jesus is the only way but what exactly does that mean to all of the dead and living Gentiles of the world? How did they or do they gain salvation from Jesus being the only way?

hobbs27

Yes, through Jesus. His life, physical death, and resurrection.

"There is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved."

Jesus is the only way but what exactly does that mean to all of the dead and living Gentiles of the world? How did they or do they gain salvation from Jesus being the only way?

Before the cross? Remember Job knew his Redeemer lived? It was faith and obedience to the law which pointed to Jesus.. but they still didn't have eternal life. They went to the grave to await the last days of the old Covenant age so they could be raised.

Artfuldodger

Before the cross? Remember Job knew his Redeemer lived? It was faith and obedience to the law which pointed to Jesus.. but they still didn't have eternal life. They went to the grave to await the last days of the old Covenant age so they could be raised.

I wold think Job's lineage would have him in the loop of a close knowledge of God. Was faith and obedience in the Law the same as in Jesus? Jesus became the Law so by believing in the Law, they knew Jesus? Law equals Jesus? Job was before the Law of Moses but he still had faith and obedience in God and some type of law/commandments.
Is that the connection in the Old Testament? Law keepers were Jesus believers by the fact that Jesus fulfilled the Law?

Artfuldodger

How did those who were far away from the flood that perhaps had lost their knowledge as passed down from generation to generation to eventually gain that forgotten knowledge of God and Law(Jesus)?

Even if descended from the flood through Noah's offspring and venturing away from the Middle East to eventually lose the once gained knowledge of God?
At some point one must eventually gain the knowledge lost by their ancestors of God and his Law(Jesus). How did one do that?

hobbs27

How did those who were far away from the flood that perhaps had lost their knowledge as passed down from generation to generation to eventually gain that forgotten knowledge of God and Law(Jesus)?

Even if descended from the flood through Noah's offspring and venturing away from the Middle East to eventually lose the once gained knowledge of God?
At some point one must eventually gain the knowledge lost by their ancestors of God and his Law(Jesus). How did one do that?

We aren't told in scripture.

Day trip

Yes, Jesus is the way, however "Jesus" is not the narrow minded, self gratifying concept that most people consider as a basis of religion. A part of Jesus is truth in this concept of being "the way". Just a vague concept until you empty yourself of all preconceived notions and accept the ambiguity as such until you gain enough wisdom to speculate on the subject.
Discover truth and you will discover Jesus. Discover Jesus and you will discover truth and so much more.

Artfuldodger

Yes, Jesus is the way, however "Jesus" is not the narrow minded, self gratifying concept that most people consider as a basis of religion. A part of Jesus is truth in this concept of being "the way". Just a vague concept until you empty yourself of all preconceived notions and accept the ambiguity as such until you gain enough wisdom to speculate on the subject.
Discover truth and you will discover Jesus. Discover Jesus and you will discover truth and so much more.

How does one discover Jesus if he's never heard the truth? How does one discover the truth if he's never heard of Jesus?

hobbs27

But we are told that Jesus died for the whole world. That his death covered all sin and destroyed death.

It destroyed Covenental death.. sometimes referred to as spiritual death.
If you were in covenant with God ( Israelites) then you had sin and death on you as you were in Adam.

To be In Christ means in the new Covenant, where your sin is covered ..no sin..no death..eternal life.

It's all about God's people.

Artfuldodger

It destroyed Covenental death.. sometimes referred to as spiritual death.
If you were in covenant with God ( Israelites) then you had sin and death on you as you were in Adam.

To be In Christ means in the new Covenant, where your sin is covered ..no sin..no death..eternal life.

It's all about God's people.

What about all of the other people who weren't in covenant with God, didn't Jesus die for their sins too? How did Gentiles gain the knowledge to become God's people before the Gospel was spread or even offered to the Gentile nations of the whole world? Was every Gentile adopted into the nation of Israel when Christ died?

Ephesians 2:12
remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world.

Romans 11:15
For since their rejection meant that God offered salvation to the rest of the world, their acceptance will be even more wonderful. It will be life for those who were dead!

hobbs27

In those days, they were seeing miracles and receiving the Holy Spirit. By witnessing the tongues, the healings, etc, they were believing and becoming witnesses to others.

Of the ones the Gospel didn't reach? I don't know, Paul said the Gospel had gone out to the whole world, but we know this was his understanding of the whole world.

Art, I think you're asking a question that is not answered by scripture, let us pray about it , that you may get comforted with an answer.

1988USMC

The evidence of God and His creation is evident in everything we see. Jesus Christ died on the cross in order to give us a path to forgiveness that we sure don't deserve.

The word of God says it, I believe it, end of story for me!

Artfuldodger

It's the end of the story for us because we have the story. I wish scripture did tell us how the rest of the world will gain their salvation from a fair and loving God.

Otherwise the Election way looks even more fair and just than the Free Will way. Either way thank goodness it's not up to us as we(man) has failed miserably in spreading the Gospel. Even when we do we can't open the eyes of Pagans who have been indoctrinated a lifetime into their own religion.

If God desires all to be saved then we must let God save all he desires. Remembering that he is a loving and fair God. That he is just. He must at least let all that he desires have a choice.

We argue over which is the fair and just way for God to bring man to salvation as if one way if more just than the other when we really don't know ourselves if it's not in the Scripture.

Day trip

How does one discover Jesus if he's never heard the truth? How does one discover the truth if he's never heard of Jesus?

If you're sincere and not being rhetorical then be quiet. The answer to your question is to stop asking questions and be quiet.

JimD

Art,

Just like what has been said a couple of times, your answer does not lie in religion, but in prayer. In getting quiet and Listening....be still and KNOW I am God. I know what I believe, but you have to figure these questions out for yourself.

Artfuldodger

I think that I have made my point. Jesus is the only way. Beyond that we don't know how a just and loving God saves whom he will save.
If scripture doesn't tell us then the just and loving God will save whom he will save. We argue that a just and loving God will give everyone a choice or that he will send his Spirit to whom he will send his Spirit. Arguing that one way is fair and the other is not yet scripture doesn't tell us.

We don't even know if Gentiles were without hope and without God before Christ died yet we argue that they still had a path to salvation.

Either Christ died for all or he didn't. This is a very big part of Christianity and we as Christians don't even know what that means. I've been praying with no answers. Maybe I am becoming too religious. I want God to at least give everyone a chance. Perhaps he does in a way that I can't comprehend.

Should I just let the mystery be? If it get's too deep then just quit trying to look for answers? I can most assuredly tell you that God will have mercy on whom he will have mercy. Beyond that, I don't know.