Its just a doe

jmac7469

So be warned if you read this its a rant as well as a little writing about one of my proudest deer harvests ever.

So there are 3 things above all else that I can not stand in the hunting community.
Number 1 and definitely the biggest by a mile, you know what make that 5 miles, is people that put down or talk down about kids harvests. I dont care if its a yearling, a button head, a grown doe or an absolute wall hanger any and all harvests my by kids should be celebrated. Probably deserves to be more celebrated than we actually do especially in todays world.

Number 2 is anyone that uses the word "cull" when talking about a wild deer population. You are talking about something that can not physically exist, its a literally impossibility. Just shoot what makes you happy dont use the word "cull" to justify it, seriously stop it.

Number 3 and today's topic "its just a doe."

Now a few people here know me in real life and know im as real a person as you will meet. I dont pull punches and im honest, even if you dont like what I have to say. Skipping to the back story of this. I have stopped at the same little store near my property for 21 years now after every harvest. I get ice and I get 1 bud light to drink while cleaning the animal. (Im not a big drinker but this is something ive done as long as I can remember, also no road beer for those wondering.)

I pulled in this moring and the morning shift guy (im not putting his name out there) shouts at me from the back " how big is he today Justin?" I reply "man I finally killed the queen." He yells back, " oh sucks, its just a doe."

Now ive know this guy for 17 years or so so he didn't take offense to the next 2-3 minutes of we will call conversation but I explained to him, this deer is the oldest animal we know of on the property she is at least 11 and possibly 12, she had fawns for 9 years of her life, none the last 2, in those 9 years she birthed 19 fawns 12 of which were bucks 2 sets of triplets and never lost a single one. We had a debate this year when she didnt fawn weather or not to just let her live out her days but ultimately decided to stick to the plan on this property. Ive hunted her all season and she bested me on many occasions even Saturday morning she got me. Today I knew what had to be done. I was in the stand at 450, she walked out around 515 and stayed in the field until sunrise. At 6:41 bang flop fast and painless what she deserved. Now as im explaining this to my friend he looks at me and says "I get it, sometimes its not just a doe, congratulations."
Just remember its not just a doe, deer are amazing animals and all the deer harvested deserve respect. 20221121_064012.jpg
One more thing her ears look so tiny on that big ole head.

TBG

Agreed. Someone shoots a deer, they shot it for a reason (first deer, first they saw that day, biggest deer, first with a particular method, old deer, cool looking rack). There are tons a reasons someone might shoot a deer. I love listening to the story and if the reason they shot it plays into the story then great. No one of any age or hunting experience should have to justify why the harvested an animal. Especially to another hunter.

buckpasser

Congrats on your kill. I like that you don’t pull any punches. I’m that way sometimes when it comes to culls and us targeting them. I don’t care who I offend either. It’s best not to be sensitive I’ve found. If you are, you’ll always be offended.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I just want to know how you managed to outsmart an 11 year old doe. That is a feat of epic proportion. Congratulations!

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Nice ole doe. There may not be a such thing as a cull buck, but folks can dang sure cull em! Just depends on how ya look at it I guess. They been culling em in Texas as long as they been managing em

jmac7469

Nice ole doe. There may not be a such thing as a cull buck, but folks can dang sure cull em! Just depends on how ya look at it I guess. They been culling em in Texas as long as they been managing em
They use that word as an excuse to kill them. There is no such thing as a cull in a wild heard. Its literally impossible. This is a proven fact and indisputable.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Ok. Cool. It don't bother me that bad lol. They do what they do, I do what I do. People still pay to shoot Texas "cull" bucks as a package deal or just as a cheaper alternative. So one man's cull is another man's trophy.
I guess my biggest pet peeve is people calling multiple does "doe". 3 doe. Lol. Sounds like an Ohio state fan :ROFLMAO:

buckpasser

They use that word as an excuse to kill them. There is no such thing as a cull in a wild heard. Its literally impossible. This is a proven fact and indisputable.

I strongly disagree. If I kill a buck that I don’t want on the place I’m hunting, it’s a cull and he’s culled. If you want to argue genetic results, so be it. That’s not the purpose of me putting a deer on the “cull” list. Again, it’s easy to be offended if you want to be. It’s a real thing and a real strategy.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I guess what I'm saying is that if I, you, a guy from Texas, whoever.... Decides to "cull" a buck from the herd, whether or not that deer is inferior genetically or not, he has been culled by said hunter. So would "culled" buck suit you better?

buckpasser

I guess what I'm saying is that if I, you, a guy from Texas, whoever.... Decides to "cull" a buck from the herd, whether or not that deer is inferior genetically or not, he has been culled by said hunter. So would "culled" buck suit you better?

Ha! That’s a good way to put it.

JROESEL

So what your saying is, you CULLED turkey foot ;)
And a bunch more and a bunch more to come??? Your such a cull master

jmac7469

I strongly disagree. If I kill a buck that I don’t want on the place I’m hunting, it’s a cull and he’s culled. If you want to argue genetic results, so be it. That’s not the purpose of me putting a deer on the “cull” list. Again, it’s easy to be offended if you want to be. It’s a real thing and a real strategy.
You can disagree but you are wrong. You killing a deer that you dont want on your property is just taking a deer and making an excuse for it, which is horribly disrespectful to the animal. Be proud of the animals you harvest, clearly you aren't, if you gave to justify it by calling them culls.

buckpasser

You can disagree but you are wrong. You killing a deer that you dont want on your property is just taking a deer and making an excuse for it, which is horribly disrespectful to the animal. Be proud of the animals you harvest, clearly you aren't, if you gave to justify it by calling them culls.

Haha! I manage deer for a living. These aren’t animals I’m killing. I just label them. All living creatures deserve respect. Leave big ugly ones out there establishing territories and I might be looking for a new job. I’m sorry you’re offended, well, maybe I’m not. It’ll be okay man.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I'm gonna stick my nose in here because I "know" both @jmac7469 and @buckpasser.

You guys are on the same page.

The breakdown is the use of the word "Cull".

BP is using it from a "farmer's" standpoint to describe critters that are not "desirable" from a being able to "sell it" point of view. I can assure you that BP has respect and appreciation for every animal on the property he manages.

As for Jmac, he's a steward of all wildlife as well. I used to fish with him back in the day at the Jax Beach Pier. We caught many a bull redfish, and he made sure to help folks lower them back in the water with a net rather than drop them, which usually resulted in a dead redfish.

Again, you guys are on the same page..

We just need to get Buckpasser's name changed to BuckKuller!!! :rofl:

Y'all shake hands.