Its just a doe

rugerfan

I particularly don't care for the term "cull" either, but I don't hunt a lease or a Texas ranch either, so no telling what my opinion would be if that were the case.

I do not believe in the thinking that deer are in the same class as cattle and should not be referred as in the terms of cattle. They don't belong to the landowner. They belong to the state, and if that deer crosses into another state, it becomes the property of that state. When it returns to this state, ownership immediately transfers back to this state. They are free roaming animals. Others will disagree and that is fine, you have the right to do so.

Since I hunt public land, mainly national forest land, any deer I take either a buck or a doe, is a blessing to me, and first thing I do, even before thanking God for the opportunity is I thank the animal for sacrifice, then I thank God for the opportunity to take the animal, and of course I thank the state of Georgia and the Federal Government for providing me a place to hunt.

So, with all that said, @jmac7469, dude congrats on that old doe. Those old does are smart cookies. Got one on the National Forest that busts me 8 out of 10 times. She just comes out and looks up in the trees. Of course, I don't see her on doe days, I think she buys a calendar.

Last edited:

buckpasser

I'm gonna stick my nose in here because I "know" both @jmac7469 and @buckpasser.

You guys are on the same page.

The breakdown is the use of the word "Cull".

BP is using it from a "farmer's" standpoint to describe critters that are not "desirable" from a being able to "sell it" point of view. I can assure you that BP has respect and appreciation for every animal on the property he manages.

As for Jmac, he's a steward of all wildlife as well. I used to fish with him back in the day at the Jax Beach Pier. We caught many a bull redfish, and he made sure to help folks lower them back in the water with a net rather than drop them, which usually resulted in a dead redfish.

Again, you guys are on the same page..

We just need to get Buckpasser's name changed to BuckKuller!!! :rofl:

Y'all shake hands.

We’re all good RR. I actually got the point of the message and I can respect the man’s opinion. I just wanted to point out my use of the word “cull”. Consider my hand out for a shake.

bany

Seems like the simple definition of cull is what we all do to wild animals.
shouldn’t chap your hide much but that’s cool too!

I use others words like, looks like dinner or delicious or meat. Maybe, that’s a good one or that goofy thing needs a ride in my truck or there’s a lot of jerky!

But it’s all with a great deal of respect and appreciation. And prayers to the almighty because I give him all the credit for waking up in the morning and getting things done and home safely.

bany

So be warned if you read this its a rant as well as a little writing about one of my proudest deer harvests ever.

So there are 3 things above all else that I can not stand in the hunting community.
Number 1 and definitely the biggest by a mile, you know what make that 5 miles, is people that put down or talk down about kids harvests. I dont care if its a yearling, a button head, a grown doe or an absolute wall hanger any and all harvests my by kids should be celebrated. Probably deserves to be more celebrated than we actually do especially in todays world.

Number 2 is anyone that uses the word "cull" when talking about a wild deer population. You are talking about something that can not physically exist, its a literally impossibility. Just shoot what makes you happy dont use the word "cull" to justify it, seriously stop it.

Number 3 and today's topic "its just a doe."

Now a few people here know me in real life and know im as real a person as you will meet. I dont pull punches and im honest, even if you dont like what I have to say. Skipping to the back story of this. I have stopped at the same little store near my property for 21 years now after every harvest. I get ice and I get 1 bud light to drink while cleaning the animal. (Im not a big drinker but this is something ive done as long as I can remember, also no road beer for those wondering.)

I pulled in this moring and the morning shift guy (im not putting his name out there) shouts at me from the back " how big is he today Justin?" I reply "man I finally killed the queen." He yells back, " oh sucks, its just a doe."

Now ive know this guy for 17 years or so so he didn't take offense to the next 2-3 minutes of we will call conversation but I explained to him, this deer is the oldest animal we know of on the property she is at least 11 and possibly 12, she had fawns for 9 years of her life, none the last 2, in those 9 years she birthed 19 fawns 12 of which were bucks 2 sets of triplets and never lost a single one. We had a debate this year when she didnt fawn weather or not to just let her live out her days but ultimately decided to stick to the plan on this property. Ive hunted her all season and she bested me on many occasions even Saturday morning she got me. Today I knew what had to be done. I was in the stand at 450, she walked out around 515 and stayed in the field until sunrise. At 6:41 bang flop fast and painless what she deserved. Now as im explaining this to my friend he looks at me and says "I get it, sometimes its not just a doe, congratulations."
Just remember its not just a doe, deer are amazing animals and all the deer harvested deserve respect. View attachment 1191947
One more thing her ears look so tiny on that big ole head.
Some folks would say you culled old nanny out of the herd, congratulations!
I’ll say congrats on your kill! I’ll say almost anything that has to do with a kid is awesome and if someone badmouths that they have a problem.
There has always been and I reckon always will be jealous or ignorant people. Don’t let them get ya down man. Not sure we can help them but it doesn’t have to bother ya.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on your kill ! Them old does are pretty slick

Bowyer29

So be warned if you read this its a rant as well as a little writing about one of my proudest deer harvests ever.

So there are 3 things above all else that I can not stand in the hunting community.
Number 1 and definitely the biggest by a mile, you know what make that 5 miles, is people that put down or talk down about kids harvests. I dont care if its a yearling, a button head, a grown doe or an absolute wall hanger any and all harvests my by kids should be celebrated. Probably deserves to be more celebrated than we actually do especially in todays world.

Number 2 is anyone that uses the word "cull" when talking about a wild deer population. You are talking about something that can not physically exist, its a literally impossibility. Just shoot what makes you happy dont use the word "cull" to justify it, seriously stop it.

Now a few people here know me in real life and know im as real a person as you will meet. I dont pull punches and im honest, even if you dont like what I have to say. Skipping to the back story of this. I have stopped at the same little store near my property for 21 years now after every harvest. I get ice and I get 1 bud light to drink while cleaning the animal. (Im not a big drinker but this is something ive done as long as I can remember, also no road beer for those wondering.)

I pulled in this moring and the morning shift guy (im not putting his name out there) shouts at me from the back " how big is he today Justin?" I reply "man I finally killed the queen." He yells back, " oh sucks, its just a doe."

Now ive know this guy for 17 years or so so he didn't take offense to the next 2-3 minutes of we will call conversation but I explained to him, this deer is the oldest animal we know of on the property she is at least 11 and possibly 12, she had fawns for 9 years of her life, none the last 2, in those 9 years she birthed 19 fawns 12 of which were bucks 2 sets of triplets and never lost a single one. We had a debate this year when she didnt fawn weather or not to just let her live out her days but ultimately decided to stick to the plan on this property. Ive hunted her all season and she bested me on many occasions even Saturday morning she got me. Today I knew what had to be done. I was in the stand at 450, she walked out around 515 and stayed in the field until sunrise. At 6:41 bang flop fast and painless what she deserved. Now as im explaining this to my friend he looks at me and says "I get it, sometimes its not just a doe, congratulations."
Just remember its not just a doe, deer are amazing animals and all the deer harvested deserve respect. View attachment 1191947
That's fantastic!

Captmatt84

There ABSOLUTELY is such a thing as a cull buck. It’s definitely something that’s exclusive to certain properties, but to issue a blanket statement saying you can’t stand anyone that uses the words “cull buck” and suggest that anyone who does is using it as an excuse to kill a deer is just ignorance. I agree, “culling” does not 100% eliminate genetically inferior deer, but it definitely gives that beautiful 10pt a better opportunity to breed the does that live on my property, instead of that funky racked buck. In my case for example, I hunt small acreage and have 2 different bucks with junk racks that have lived on/around my property for the last 5 years. If I shoot those bucks it will be strictly to remove them from the deer herd in my area as I do not need the meat and the rack is undesirable. So yes, in my situation there is indeed such a thing as a cull buck.

Last edited by a moderator:

rugerfan

lol

Sixes

Congrats on the doe, I will never put down a man's kill and do not expect it in return. You killed an old nanny that served the herd well, but you culled her from the herd.

The definition of cull is to remove from the herd, so I view it as every SINGLE deer killed is culled, plus you stated that you killed her since she went barren.

transfixer

I believe people's definition of the word "cull" means different things to different people , on our club we would have bucks that had a perfect rack on one side, and usually a stub with two or three prongs sticking up 2 or 3 inches on the other side, over the course of 10yrs we had quite a few bucks like that, I know some will argue the cause of that anomaly, but we attributed it to some sort of inherited genetic defect, those bucks were on our list of ones to take out if someone had the chance, or "cull" if you will, especially if someone wanted meat for the freezer , during the years when we weren't shooting does.

I don't hunt for antlers, never have, don't need an excuse for shooting a small buck, but given the chance I'll shoot one with a messed up rack before I shoot a symmetrical 6pt, I figure he has good genetics and should have the chance to pass those genes on .

I hunt for the enjoyment of being out there and for meat in the freezer, killed plenty of does in my lifetime, just got to where I didn't anymore as a way of keeping the population up in our area, but would have done the same as the OP if I knew one was an old doe past her breeding years.

No shame whatsoever in taking a doe, or young buck regardless of the age of the hunter

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Cull
Verb
Select from a large quantity; obtain from a variety of sources.

Noun
A selective slaughter of wild animals.

Every deer you kill is a cull.