Late Summer Deer Treats

Jim Boyd

Good luck.

It's going to be tough to compete with Pnuts.
Do you have access to hunt the Pnits too?

That would be great.

Yessir, we have access to plenty of ag fields. Peanuts primarily this year and one farm in cotton.

You hit on a good point, though. We don’t want to compete with the peanuts - we WANT the peanuts to be an alternative to our fields to lessen the pressure.

The peanuts will get flipped early in September so maybe that will help keep the deer out of our plots for three more weeks.

Our gun season starts this week but our doe days start 15 Sept and this is generally when we start hunting. The bucks are in velvet right now and it is super hot - I have hunted in August plenty of times but not sure I will this year.

Point being that I will likely remove the tape when the peanuts get turned and let the deer into the plots full time.

They are inside the tape some now, however.

8521F2F2-8E3C-4367-A841-A50FF61AF90B.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Looking good ! I’m interested in what you are putting around the plots .

Morning Ant

It is called Plot Saver and it is only semi effective.

I wonder if it is not as much a visual barrier as it is a scent thing.

My buddy used it on two smaller plots earlier this year and the deer simply ignored the tape.

I think the plot saver needs to be only part of the overall strategy.

Electric is the way to go for good protection, I think.

Deernut3

Good looking plots Jim, hope they grow up for you. If they make it past the four leaf stage they got a chance. I've done the milorganite with similar marginal results. If they are hungry enough they just bust on up in there.

Jim Boyd

Good looking plots Jim, hope they grow up for you. If they make it past the four leaf stage they got a chance. I've done the milorganite with similar marginal results. If they are hungry enough they just bust on up in there.

Yessir, they do…..

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Morning Ant

It is called Plot Saver and it is only semi effective.

I wonder if it is not as much a visual barrier as it is a scent thing.

My buddy used it on two smaller plots earlier this year and the deer simply ignored the tape.

I think the plot saver needs to be only part of the overall strategy.

Electric is the way to go for good protection, I think.
Thanks Jim ! I may give it a try