Liquid Fertilizer for Fall Plots

Jake Allen

Does anybody else spray fertilizer on their Foodplots? We plant forage oats on many plots totalling about 6 acres. These are spread out through pines, fields and oak flats. Sandy soil, (Schley County).
Last year was the first year I sprayed. I bought a water soluble 20-20-20 fertilizer from an online supplier, 25# bag for $52.00, shipped. The directions call for 2 tablespoons of solution per 1 gallon of water. Application rate 5 gallons per acre. I sprayed all 6 acres with 45 gallons, twice, 30 days apart. Oats last year were healthy, dark green, and grew into spring. The game kept the oats mowed like a golf course, but they kept growing.
So, the mix was 3 cups and a skosh, (there are 16 tablespoons in 8 oz) of 20-20-20 per 25 gallons of water, into a ATV mounted boom sprayer. I dissolved the fertilizer in a 5 gallon bucket of water before pouring into the tank. Then filled the tank. Driving the 4 wheeler kept the solution mixed.
I ran the volume at about 75% capacity, spraying about a 10' path. I drove the wheeler at about 3 mph. Nothing to it.
When all done, after 2 full applications and all the fertilizer we used, the total bill was about $30.00 to keep 6 acres of Oats healthy and growing in Sandy Soil until Spring.
I sprayed yesterday for the first time this year, but added highly dissolved Lime to the mix, which at 5 gallons of dilution per acre, should bring the PH up 1 point within 10 days, and last 60-90 days. Adding the lime only costs another $12.00 per tank.
I am looking forward to seeing the results in about 2 weeks.

Attachments

• fert.JPG
    fert.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 27
  • lime2.JPG
    lime2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 28

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Very interested. I assume you didn’t put any granulated fertilizer at planting, right?
Does the odor or taste from the spraying seem to discourage deer coming into the plots?

Jake Allen

Nothing added when planting. I sprayed the plot in front of camp about 2:30 Sunday afternoon. Deer were back on the oats before dark.

Last edited:

Jake Allen

There was a Vendor at the Outdoor Blast selling gallon bottles of Liquid Fertilizer, and they were expensive. What I figured out, was that liquid was this granular pre-mixed. That is what started me looking into this.

doomtrpr_z71

That whole bag of fertilizer only has 5lbs of fertilizer in it, its for supplementing a fertilizer program, its not meant to be the primary nutrition source. The liquid lime is only equivalent to 23lbs of lime, it may bring up the ph at the soil surface a point but it is not going do much in the root zone.