May have been asked? Bow hunting does during firearm season

SouthernBeagles

There is some confusion about the doe days with some of the club members. Some say that no does at all can be taken during the buck only dates. The way I read it, you can take does with a bow during the buck only days for firearm. Just asking for clarification.

"Additional Archery Season Information

Archers may not possess any firearm while hunting during the archery deer season , except that any person possessing a Weapons Carry License that is valid in this state pursuant to OCGA §§ 16-11-126(f) or 16-11-129 may carry such firearm subject to the limitations of OCGA §§ 16-11-126 and 16-11-127 except where prohibited by federal law. [Archery hunting is allowed during firearms deer seasons and deer of either sex may be taken except as otherwise specified on WMAs.] Archery hunters must wear at least 500 square inches of hunter orange during primitive weapons and firearms deer seasons except in Archery-Only Counties."

swalker1517

Does may be taken ALL season with archery equipment.

coondog96

Except on MWA's in which you have to go by their guidelines. That's the way I read it.

harryrichdawg

Several times over the years, I've carried a bow and a rifle to the stand with me during rifle season. Once the first deer of the year dies and my streak is intact, I generally don't want to shoot anything but a good buck with my rifle. That said, in 27 years of hunting with a bow, I've only killed 5 deer with a compound. I've lost 2 and missed about 10 more in that time. Because of the challenge, I'm always up for trying to stick a doe with my bow.

If I were hunting in a area with plenty of does, I'd probably carry both on "buck only" days. You'd always have the rifle if a shooter buck came trotting through or stepped out at 80 yards.

Someone might say, "why not carry a crossbow and a rifle?" If I needed the meat, I might. I've killed 4 out of 6 deer that I've shot at with my crossbow and have only taken it to the woods 12-15 times. It just lacks the challenge of having to stand up and come to full draw with a compound. I usually only take it out late in gun season in a bow-only area when I'm serious about taking home a doe.