Maybe your season wasn’t so bad after all

meatseeker

Got a few minutes to catch up on here. Lots of good seasons for some folks others maybe not so good. Nonetheless you got to go. After 40 years in the woods my time was very very limited this season. And what time i got to go my heart wasn’t in it. The ole man I followed in the dark across the mountains on cold November mornings was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in July. This was unexpected,sudden and progressing fast. This was the man who first took me to the woods and water. Also the strong feller who took me to church, learned me to garden,fix trucks and such. He was never sick. Worked 43 years and never called in sick except when he got ran over by a tractor when he was 60. But after months of healing he was back at it and still could out walk me.healthy as a horse and at 79 boom. This disease is brutal in that it don’t discriminate. Needless to say this shut down my season. No complaints here. He was always there for me and I’ll do the same for him. I’n just 6 months he’s lost ability to do most things. I’ll just set back and when the time comes I’ll get back in the woods.
Anyway I just hope everybody reflects on their season for the positive things that went with it. Spending time with your dads daughters or whoever. Enjoying a sunrise or just watching the frost melt. Because your next season could be worse than you ever expected. Not wanting sympathy here but for y’all to be thankful. I’m good here. Years of wonderful memories with my dad. I have grandkids that will soon be big enough to follow me across these mountains so I’m just going to focus on the good times to come after this storm passes. Good luck and health to all you deer hunters!make the most of it!

Awehunt

Prayers for your Father during this time. I, like you, have been blessed with a dad who taught me the important things in life that a school book never could. My dad has quit hunting, by choice thankfully, but it takes a lot of the fun out of going. We still spend many days on the water and I still call him for help many days.

Thank you for the reminder to be thankful for what we get to experience.

Jim Boyd

Great, great thoughts Keith.

We all stand in awe of you and your testimony.

So sorry to hear about the illness.

You are ONE of the reason why I went to Illinois.

lonewolf247

Hey that's a great post! Sorry to hear about your father, and the way you set your priorities is right in line with what I would have done. I totally get your situation. I've been thru some trying times the last two seasons myself to say the least. I have only made a handful of hunts the last two years, but I have taken care of my family, and things I've needed to do.

I've hunted all my life and have taken countless deer, and hunting will be there for you and myself, when the time is right. Thanks for sharing your story, and I'll keep you in my prayers!

Tadder

Your DAD wound and is Proud of you and we're PRAYING for y'all. When time comes remember the way Dad took you over them hills and take them kids and tell em all about it as y'all make the track through them hills an enjoy , take em too church and train up the same way Blessed you are and may GOD BLESS Y'ALL.

godogs57

I feel for you. I lost my dad to Alzheimer’s in 2006. He fought it for seven years. I mean absolutely no disrespect, but consider it a blessing if it’s moving fast. The disease is hardest on the caregivers/family. I didn’t realize this until the neurologist warned me of this. He was absolutely right. He added that “his worst day...he’s forgotten about it in ten minutes”...this, from the smartest man I ever knew. Again, he was right. Be strong and spend as much time as you can with him, as you will remember those times as well as your times in the woods.

I’ll keep you in my prayers.

Got a few minutes to catch up on here. Lots of good seasons for some folks others maybe not so good. Nonetheless you got to go. After 40 years in the woods my time was very very limited this season. And what time i got to go my heart wasn’t in it. The ole man I followed in the dark across the mountains on cold November mornings was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in July. This was unexpected,sudden and progressing fast. This was the man who first took me to the woods and water. Also the strong feller who took me to church, learned me to garden,fix trucks and such. He was never sick. Worked 43 years and never called in sick except when he got ran over by a tractor when he was 60. But after months of healing he was back at it and still could out walk me.healthy as a horse and at 79 boom. This disease is brutal in that it don’t discriminate. Needless to say this shut down my season. No complaints here. He was always there for me and I’ll do the same for him. I’n just 6 months he’s lost ability to do most things. I’ll just set back and when the time comes I’ll get back in the woods.
Anyway I just hope everybody reflects on their season for the positive things that went with it. Spending time with your dads daughters or whoever. Enjoying a sunrise or just watching the frost melt. Because your next season could be worse than you ever expected. Not wanting sympathy here but for y’all to be thankful. I’m good here. Years of wonderful memories with my dad. I have grandkids that will soon be big enough to follow me across these mountains so I’m just going to focus on the good times to come after this storm passes. Good luck and health to all you deer hunters!make the most of it!
I am now 33 years old and I lost my father to Alzheimers disease 2 years ago. He was only 69 years old. This terrible disease started on him at just 57 years old. He was a smart, successful farmer before he fell ill. My sister and brother and I grew up on the farm with him and we wouldn't be the people we are today without his influence and insight that he bestowed upon us. As much as I miss him still today by the time he passed away the AD had diminished him into a shell of the man I knew. By the end, my family was praying for a peaceful end to this long grueling process. I pray one day that someone finds a cure for Alzheimer's because it is truly one of the worst diseases for the person and the family. Prayers for your father.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Thank you for sharing with us. I am sorry that your Father has been afflicted with this awful disease. I know that you know how fortunate you are to have had him in your life.