Mercy Rule on injured deer?

James12

Is there such a thing, other than the best decision regardless of season?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I had given my name to some Cobb county cops to get put on a list of names to call, in case a dead deer was involved. I never got a call, but making use of a dead deer didn’t seem like an issue. As far as other situations, an sss approach may be the best option. We all make decisions to live with, so just use your gut, make the right call.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Is there such a thing, other than the best decision regardless of season?

We had one in the neighbor's yard across the street a couple of years ago. I called WRD and they sent a biologist. The deer had moved on but he told me if I saw it to go ahead and stick it. The city has a no bows and arrow discharge ordinance so I don't know how all that works.

twtabb

The last on only road kill deer I witnessed and finished off was as tough as shoe leather.

earlthegoat2

I wouldn’t have waited in line to be the one to eat this guy after the USDA officer euthanized him.

I kicked him in the butt a few time to try to get him moving but he was done. It may have been from a tussle with another buck and if that was the case I would love to see the other one. However, this was right next to the road.

I was working so I didn’t take measures into my own hands.

IMG_2165.jpeg

James12

I’ve had a few encounters (another today), and have seen both cops come out to my neighbors; as well as I have ended them myself too. Was curious on the actual “rule”, outside of one’s own conscious as Nic noted.

The worst encounter was in Sandy Springs a few years back, I got there about the same time as the officer. He wasn’t familiar with “deer” or had watched too many videos - as he shot the deer in the side the first time as it hung from a fence! It was brutal. Today the officer said let it rip, which most do as they don’t want to have to file a report for a discharged weapon and deal with the hassle.

kayaksteve

I think some times you just have to decide and do what’s right. I can’t see any laws being enforced against it if it’s a reasonable situation. It may be a different situation in Atlanta but around here common sense and decency still rules when it comes to matters like this.

ldavid008

I had an uncle years ago ('80's) pull up to a bunch of guys standing around a wounded deer on the side of a road in a WMA. It had been shot in the spine and making a lot of noise. He said heck with this, got his gun and shot it.

Ten minutes later a GW pulls up finds out what happened and proceeded to write him a ticket. He always had the worst luck. Everyone was trying to talk the GW out of it, but he wouldn't listen and did it anyway.

ryanh487

I had an uncle years ago ('80's) pull up to a bunch of guys standing around a wounded deer on the side of a road in a WMA. It had been shot in the spine and making a lot of noise. He said heck with this, got his gun and shot it.

Ten minutes later a GW pulls up finds out what happened and proceeded to write him a ticket. He always had the worst luck. Everyone was trying to talk the GW out of it, but he wouldn't listen and did it anyway.

He didn't have a knife on him? No law against using a knife on WMA roads.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Should never even be a question, regardless of the time of year or critter.

ucfireman

Just cause he got a ticket doesn't mean he was guilty of anything.
Believe it or not most police or LE folks don't know all the laws.
(they know the common ones)
They have to search the: The Official Code of Georgia Annotated or O.C.G.A.
They will write a ticket or arrest you for what they feel like they can, a DA has to prosecute the case.

But I would have taken my happy behind to court, confronted the officer in court in front of the judge, explained the situation and watch as the judge throws the ticket out.
Then I would file a complaint against the officer and if I wanted to waste the cash or make the issue, sue the officer and agency for anything I could.
Maybe even contact the media and tell my story. Believe it or not most folks still have a soft side and understand the putting an animal out of its misery, The backlash would be loud I'm sure.