model 7 build?

jdrawdy

Been looking at a used model 7 and was wandering how good of a platform would this be to build off of. It is a 7-08, and that is what I want. I would like to go with a 20 inch heavy barrel, kind of a tactical looking build. Would this be a good option or should I look in a different direction for a starting platform.

badger

Model 7 is a fine platform. Early actions however, had only 3 holes for scope mounts, and had to have an extra drilled and tapped if you wanted a robust scope mount setup.

jglenn

the 7 is a fine action and I own quite a few for hunting rifles.. the 700 short action may fit your needs better if you are looking at tactical stocks as they are widely available for the 700 actions.

godogs57

My model 7 is a 7/08 custom built by Carolina Precision Rifles. 20" Shilen tube, McMillan stock, Cerekote finish. She shoots little bitty 1/4" groups at 100 yards.....I'd say go for it if I were you. The model 7 is a great platform for a custom rifle!

jmoser

Do what you like but the Model 7 was designed as a lightweight hunting rifle; kind of ironic to hang a bull bbl on one.

700 is a far better platform to start with IMHO.

I have a Model 600 with the same 3 screw scope base hole pattern; its a much smaller receiver than the 700.

FYI since you are rebarreling the caliber of the used donor gun is not very important; find a .308 or .243 or .260 and the action length / bolt face / case head is identical. Just order your new bbl in whatever chambering you please. 7-08 is just a necked down .308 as is .243 / .260 [aka 6mm-08 and 6.5-08 :)] Even the magazine follower is identical:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...del-7-243-260-7mm-08-308?cm_vc=ProductFinding

You may find better deal / variety etc on one of the other calibers.