Moving from FL to GA Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizia829

Hey everyone! My husband and I have been seriously thinking about leaving our home city of Miami and head to Georgia.. Living here is terrible.. Cost of living is high, population is out of control, traffic, difficult to find good paying jobs, etc. Georgia has always held a special place in our hearts because of hunting. We've always felt welcomed there by those we meet and it's just a different atmosphere that we enjoy.

However.... We have two small children, 1.5 and 4.5 and we worry about moving away from everything that we have here at home. We are not familiar with other cities, schools, types of jobs available, etc. We are in the process of getting ready to purchase our first home and we do not want to make a mistake.

We want to provide the best life that we can for our daughters and I will admit, I'm a bit scared/hesitant of going somewhere new, let alone a new state.. Can anyone offer any advice on cities to look into? Possibly new construction neighborhoods we'd prefer and just in general any advice we should consider?

Thanks!

sinclair1

Hey everyone! My husband and I have been seriously thinking about leaving our home city of Miami and head to Georgia.. Living here is terrible.. Cost of living is high, population is out of control, traffic, difficult to find good paying jobs, etc. Georgia has always held a special place in our hearts because of hunting. We've always felt welcomed there by those we meet and it's just a different atmosphere that we enjoy.

However.... We have two small children, 1.5 and 4.5 and we worry about moving away from everything that we have here at home. We are not familiar with other cities, schools, types of jobs available, etc. We are in the process of getting ready to purchase our first home and we do not want to make a mistake.

We want to provide the best life that we can for our daughters and I will admit, I'm a bit scared/hesitant of going somewhere new, let alone a new state.. Can anyone offer any advice on cities to look into? Possibly new construction neighborhoods we'd prefer and just in general any advice we should consider?

Thanks!
The metro Atlanta area is just like what your wanting to get away from.

We packed up and moved to Richmond Hill from the metro. We do not have kids, so no suggestion on a area away from the big city with kids.

Good luck!

transfixer

Having visited Miami once,, ( that was enough for me) in my mind almost anywhere in Ga would be better,, lol,, although I would stay away from the major cities like Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Athens, I live 25 miles west of Atlanta,, and that has become too close to the city,, I am planning on moving North of Atlanta, at least 40 to 50 miles, Do a search for the best places to live in Georgia,, and then check schools, but I can tell you you're better off home schooling your children than sending them to public school, there are many online programs that do not cost a lot of $$ , there is so much garbage being told to the kids in public schools now .

Depending on what you or your husband does for a living will play a factor in where you want to move to also,, even though virtually every place seems to be hiring,, some areas of Georgia pay better than others,,

GeorgiaBob

SinclaIr is right about Richmond Hill. It is near enough to Savannah for convenient day visits, but distinctly a small town separate from big city problems. I have a small lake house in Liberty County just a few miles south of Richmond Hill and my wife often grocery shops in Richmond Hill.

I would also recommend to you a visit to St Marys, GA. It is just across the river from Florida. St Marys is only 30 minutes from the Jacksonville Airport and less than an hour from all of the shopping Jax has to offer. But St Marys is a small town of about 25,000 in the rather rural county of Camden (about 60,000 in the whole county). The county has a very good school system, an excellent selection of quality homes, and better than average public services. You will likely be very surprised at the comparatively low home prices.

The Kings Bay Navy Submarine Base in St Marys contributes to the quality of life in the small town with Navy and supporting employees accounting for about a third of the population. St Marys has a small quaint downtown area with a picture friendly waterfront. The community is not rocking every night, but there are several nice restaurants and enough shopping to stay in town for most of your necessities.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Kind of depends on your skillsets and careers to date. What you want to do mainly drives where you can live. Lots of jobs in GA. Just maybe not the ones you are looking for.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
You are welcome to come to Floyd County Georgia. 100K population, no Interstate, medical hub, 3 colleges, 3 rivers, 7 hills. About equidistant from Chattanooga, Atlanta, and Birmingham Alabama.

We have a variety of industry, some supporting Tier 2 and 1 Automotive manufacturing, along with light industrial.

Schools, about as good or as bad as most anywhere else. My wife works at a local Christian school that is a good option.

hhighcountryberry_fordcenter001.jpg

Explore Georgia-City of Rome
hhc_rome_berrycollege_oldmill073-lowerres.jpg

Last edited:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Can anyone offer any advice on cities to look into?

Thanks!

Oconee County.

Best public schools in Georgia.
One of the lowest crime rates in Georgia.
One of the wealthiest counties in Georgia(was #1 a couple years ago).
We keep a lid on our libtards here(although the tide is rising).

The only knock against Oconee County is that there is no diversity here. Just about all white folks.

krizia829

SinclaIr is right about Richmond Hill. It is near enough to Savannah for convenient day visits, but distinctly a small town separate from big city problems. I have a small lake house in Liberty County just a few miles south of Richmond Hill and my wife often grocery shops in Richmond Hill.

I would also recommend to you a visit to St Marys, GA. It is just across the river from Florida. St Marys is only 30 minutes from the Jacksonville Airport and less than an hour from all of the shopping Jax has to offer. But St Marys is a small town of about 25,000 in the rather rural county of Camden (about 60,000 in the whole county). The county has a very good school system, an excellent selection of quality homes, and better than average public services. You will likely be very surprised at the comparatively low home prices.

The Kings Bay Navy Submarine Base in St Marys contributes to the quality of life in the small town with Navy and supporting employees accounting for about a third of the population. St Marys has a small quaint downtown area with a picture friendly waterfront. The community is not rocking every night, but there are several nice restaurants and enough shopping to stay in town for most of your necessities.
I will take a look at it! That sounds like something that we would definitely consider. Thank you!

krizia829

Oconee County.

The only knock against Oconee County is that there is no diversity here. Just about all white folks.

Lol we come from hispanic background but were born and raised here. The problem where I currently live is that there is TOO MUCH diversity! Lol but thankfully we get along with everyone we meet. We became great friends with a neighbor to our old lease who is as white as a saltine cracker and has a strong southern accent and they love us! To get respect you gotta give respect so I think we will mix just fine with white folks lol
What are average home prices in Oconee County? That's another factor we are looking in to. We need to find jobs as well and honestly, we are looking into all of this to provide a better future for our daughters.. My husband and I are fine anywhere as long as we have our jobs and a good home. But our daughters' futures are our main priority so we want to do it right from day 1

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Oconee County is very close to Athens. Be prepared to "keep up with the Joneses".
My hubby grew up in old Oconee County back when it was just good old country folks. It has been taken over by all the very wealthy folks that used to live on Athens. Most all of the UGA coaches live there just for an example.

transfixer

Oconee County.

You forgot the traffic around Watkinsville ! that used to be a quaint little town,, not now ! and too many spandex wearing bike riders over there for my taste !

ribber

The only knock against Oconee County is that there is no diversity here. Just about all white folks.[/QUOTE]

All about demographics

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Let me throw this out to you,

Don't overlook the northeast corner of Alabama. We are close to Chattanooga, Huntsville, and Atlanta is only a 3 hour drive if you need a big city fix. Birmingham isn't to far away either.

What kind of careers do yall have?

Status
Not open for further replies.