Moving from FL to GA Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizia829

Let me throw this out to you,

Don't overlook the northeast corner of Alabama. We are close to Chattanooga, Huntsville, and Atlanta is only a 3 hour drive if you need a big city fix. Birmingham isn't to far away either.

What kind of careers do yall have?

At this time, I am an administrative secretary for a plant nursery and my husband is a range officer at our local county owned gun range.

We both have bachelor's degrees in criminal justice administration and have pistol shooting instructor certifications. He has some management experience as well.

I used to also sell firearms for 7 years at our local Bass Pro. Just can't seem to find a job in my field of study. There's too much competition here.

Being bilingual I'm sure will help us a ton if we move up so that's a bonus

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
At this time, I am an administrative secretary for a plant nursery and my husband is a range officer at our local county owned gun range.

We both have bachelor's degrees in criminal justice administration and have pistol shooting instructor certifications. He has some management experience as well.

I used to also sell firearms for 7 years at our local Bass Pro. Just can't seem to find a job in my field of study. There's too much competition here.

Being bilingual I'm sure will help us a ton if we move up so that's a bonus

Y'all should not have any problems finding work up this way!!!

TheWildLife

Lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a year in the mid 80s, just about drove me crazy then and couldn't imagine what the area is like now.

With your degrees and certifications, take a look at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center and/or the Dept. of Corrections located in Forsyth just north of Macon. Monroe and the surrounding counties are nice areas to live. I've lived in Monroe county for over 31 years and have found it to be a great place to raise a family. Of course, there are many other great places around the state also, not knocking any of them, just thought those two facilities might work with your educational backgrounds.

krizia829

Lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a year in the mid 80s, just about drove me crazy then and couldn't imagine what the area is like now.

With your degrees and certifications, take a look at the Georgia Public Safety Training Center and/or the Dept. of Corrections located in Forsyth just north of Macon. Monroe and the surrounding counties are nice areas to live. I've lived in Monroe county for over 31 years and have found it to be a great place to raise a family. Of course, there are many other great places around the state also, not knocking any of them, just thought those two facilities might work with your educational backgrounds.
Thank you!! I will also take a look at that!
I very rarely go to Ft. Lauderdale but I'm sure it was better back then than it is now! lol

madsam

HOUSTON COUNTY , GA. Highest rated schools in Ga. for suburbia and
still a small town feel.....Goggle it ........need more info let me know.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I left Hillsborough Co Fl, Tampa, region in FEb of 1982 after retiring from GTE. Lived in Thonotosassa that at one time not too long ago was "Country". I left traffic, high taxes, crime and a growing area. First went to Lee Co. Al, left there in 86 and moved to Seminole Co. Ga. Been here every since. It's country, mostly farming with one small town and only three traffic lights in that town. I'm not a fan of town, so I'm 18 miles from Donalsonville Ga, and 18 miles from Bainbridge. Tallahassee is near, and so is Dothan Al. I've noticed taxes are high most everywhere, but bet it's not like Miami. Good deer and turkey hunting, and plenty fishing in lake Seminole at the Fl line. Two rivers and one big creek flows into Seminole.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Check out Glascock county, Gibson area . Mayberry living, 35 min from Augusta. Be sure and look up their schools too.

earlthegoat2

Sometimes it feels like the entire state of GA is a suburb of ATL.

Im just going to give some info about where I live. I’m not necessarily encouraging you to move here or not. This is just the area I know.

I am OK with where I live. It is essentially in Savannah but in the unincorporated county. Savannah feels smaller than it is but there is a growing liberal movement (just like everywhere). The schools are not good though and anyone who can afford it sends their kids to private school of which there are many options.

There are good areas and bad areas here too. Good areas are costly and bad areas are not. There was a lot of wealthy flight from Savannah in the 80s and 90s but they are trickling back. Pooler is the younger folks mecca it seems and is growing faster than is healthy. Stay away from Pooler. It will become a commercialized cest pool in the next decade with the only affordable housing being one of the billion or so apartments that are being or already have been built.

North and west would be better. Rincon, Guyton, Bloomingdale, Pembroke, Richmond Hill (RH has gotten very expensive to buy homes in the last decade) or similar around Chatham, Bryan, Effingham.

There are two military installations that drive up housing prices compared to areas that do not have such places. All things being equal, if you can find a place that doesn’t have a military base, you are going to find cheaper housing.

I have a degree in Criminal Justice as well and was never able to find employment in that field even having been in the military and having a few connections in the parole department and the GBI. That made me look for other options and I am now an equipment mechanic of various types. Of course I have not looked for employment in CJ for many years and pursuing it now would be pointless from a career development or financial perspective, I’m sure the job market has improved since then.

If you want a mechanical job, there are plenty. If I lost my job today, I would be working tomorrow.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
The big dilemma-live close to the cities, make a good living. But deal with horrible traffic, criminals and liberals. Move to the country and have peace, but difficult to make a good living.

BUT, housing and COL is cheaper away from Atlanta too.

Artfuldodger

Also there is the Department of Corrections at State Offices South at Tift College. Might be the same or part of what you are talking about.
Isn't the Georgia Dept of Wildlife located in Monroe? It would be nice to get a state job.

I've never been in that area much. I did notice Lake Juliette is close as it the Ocmulgee River.

Plus located on I-75 for trips north or south.

Artfuldodger

Oconee County is very close to Athens. Be prepared to "keep up with the Joneses".
My hubby grew up in old Oconee County back when it was just good old country folks. It has been taken over by all the very wealthy folks that used to live on Athens. Most all of the UGA coaches live there just for an example.
I wonder if Oglethorpe County would be a better fit? My niece and her family live just in the county on hwy 78. They get to go to that side of Athens to shop but their kids get to go to really nice schools in Oglethorpe County.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
You forgot the traffic around Watkinsville ! that used to be a quaint little town,, not now ! and too many spandex wearing bike riders over there for my taste !

Yep.

If I go through Watkinsville it can add 2 minutes to a trip.

The bike riders can be a pain on Colham Ferry Road. I think the more hardcore they are the less visible they want to be. They wear all black and have no lights on their bikes. Another bicyclist bit the dust last week. Squashed riding down 78 in Oconee.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I wonder if Oglethorpe County would be a better fit? My niece and her family live just in the county on hwy 78. They get to go to that side of Athens to shop but their kids get to go to really nice schools in Oglethorpe County.
Much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.