Moving from FL to GA Question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darien1

Think about Brunswick, Glynn County where the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center is located. Right on the coast half way between Savannah and Jacksonville. The neighboring counties are all rural.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
The big dilemma-live close to the cities, make a good living. But deal with horrible traffic, criminals and liberals. Move to the country and have peace, but difficult to make a good living.
Actually there is a middle ground. I live and work east of Atlanta. We do new construction work in Walton county mostly. Not near as much traffic as Atlanta and we earn a good living.

Tight Lines

Honestly my wife and I thinking the opposite...get the heck out of ATL and go to Florida. No state income tax, schools are easier to get into than the GA schools (college), and you have the beaches and water...not Miami, but Ponte Vedre, Watercolor, etc.

If you do come to GA, I'd look at some of the more conservative small towns where you can still work and make a good living...I've had friends move to Blue Ridge (Big Canoe), Dahlonega, St. Simons, etc. Cost of a house in some areas will be steep...but not Miami steep...

Best of luck...

Gator89

I was born and lived my first 30 years in central FL, in the heart of where the Pillagers, oops The Villages, are now. After bouncing around the USA for 30 years, wife & I moved back to FL from GA in 2019.

GA has a state income tax.

FL does not have state income tax, but all insurance rates are higher, especially home owner.

Cost of living is roughly a push.

krizia829

HOUSTON COUNTY , GA. Highest rated schools in Ga. for suburbia and
still a small town feel.....Goggle it ........need more info let me know.
I was looking at some new construction homes online in Bonaire! Any extra information would be great!

krizia829

If yall can habla redneck, any area, outside of metro areas, will be a good change of life for you.
Lol! Trust me we are trying to stay away from anywhere even near Atlanta! No thanks! It's worse than Miami

Jdmb123

Actually there is a middle ground. I live and work east of Atlanta. We do new construction work in Walton county mostly. Not near as much traffic as Atlanta and we earn a good living.

I live in Walton also. It’s nice, but another decade and it will be Gwinnett.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I live in Walton also. It’s nice, but another decade and it will be Gwinnett.
Maybe not. Rapid transit ruined Gwinnett county. If they keep it out of Walton county it should be ok. I live in Rockdale county and Dekalb county has immigrated there. It’s ruint now

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I was looking at some new construction homes online in Bonaire! Any extra information would be great!

If you choose that area, your life will be dictated by what happens at Robbins AFB.
Property values, taxes, prices of everything are dictated by the health of the AFB.
Also, Houston County has a growing gang problem that is not well reported.

oldfella1962

SinclaIr is right about Richmond Hill. It is near enough to Savannah for convenient day visits, but distinctly a small town separate from big city problems. I have a small lake house in Liberty County just a few miles south of Richmond Hill and my wife often grocery shops in Richmond Hill.

I would also recommend to you a visit to St Marys, GA. It is just across the river from Florida. St Marys is only 30 minutes from the Jacksonville Airport and less than an hour from all of the shopping Jax has to offer. But St Marys is a small town of about 25,000 in the rather rural county of Camden (about 60,000 in the whole county). The county has a very good school system, an excellent selection of quality homes, and better than average public services. You will likely be very surprised at the comparatively low home prices.

The Kings Bay Navy Submarine Base in St Marys contributes to the quality of life in the small town with Navy and supporting employees accounting for about a third of the population. St Marys has a small quaint downtown area with a picture friendly waterfront. The community is not rocking every night, but there are several nice restaurants and enough shopping to stay in town for most of your necessities.

Agree that St. Mary's is a nice area! My daughter lived there for a while - her husband is in the Navy. It's not too far from Savannah or Jacksonville when you need major shopping or whatever. Low cost of living and not too much traffic but I-95 is right on the edge of town so it's convenient and fast to get to Savannah or Jacksonville.

MX5HIGH

Someone else had mentioned Rome (Floyd County) in NW Georgia. I grew up in Rome, attended school and college here and worked here in manufacturing. Rome is a nice town with a lot of school choices. I took a picture of some of the trees downtown this morning. I love to watch the eagle cams in different states and there is one here in Rome. The picture below is 2017 and they come back every year and have little ones. Yes we occasionally have snow in the winter but not very often and usually not very much. Oh, and if your children want to see SANTA, I’m right here in Rome. 2D60CACE-C4BE-4B62-A9B8-7C77115344B9.jpeg875511FB-1C1E-4808-B4C4-C5A8EFA66E31.jpeg

HughW2

Krizia,
Bonaire area is nice. The whole area south of Warner Robins to North Perry is nice. I would have to imagine the Bonaire area schools are best. Sonny Perdue former governor of GA is from this area and funneled lots of projects into middle GA area. Warner Robins area has blown up recently because Macon has gotten to be pretty nasty. Warner Robins is heavily economically connected to Warner Robins airbase; but I wouldn’t think if base lost some funding that WR would go away.
There is excellent hunting and fresh water fishing in the area. Ocmulgee and Oaky Woods WMAs, plenty of private land and lease opportunities. Deer, turkey, hogs and even bear and alligator.

BassRaider

Rome seems to be a nice place, lots of history in the area. Last time there, my brothers' stepson was pitching for the Rome Braves during their playoffs. We stayed the weekend and also toured the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.