My tree cutting, wood splitting, firewood stacking saga

Ta-ton-ka chips

GONetwork Member
Al33 said:
I have one big task left to accomplish then I can finish up with the monster splitter. This is the bottom portion of the double trunk hickory and it rests on the side of a small hill below where I need to get it.
firewood19.jpg

I took this shot from the opposite side looking back where I need to go with it. The two trunks are joined together and of course they are the largest diameter pieces. With double the weight of all the others I have moved, combined with it’s difficult location I am not real sure just yet how I am going to do it or even if I can.:huh: You can barely make out the splitter in the background. It's about 15 yards away. I can move the splitter closer, but I am going to have to get the trunk on level ground first and there no room to do it from the low side.
firewood21.jpg
I think a 4 wheel drive could move it up the hill, but it'd be easier to drag it across the the road at 2:am and leave it in the subdivision across the street:cool: :whip:
What's the deal? You tell me to come by and don't answer the door:huh: :rofl: :rofl:
I'll can help you move that stump but I'm working Sat morn:cheers:

Al33

Ta-ton-ka chips said:
What's the deal? You tell me to come by and don't answer the door:huh: :rofl: :rofl:
I'll can help you move that stump but I'm working Sat morn:cheers:

PM with apology sent.:) A man has to eat ya know.:rolleyes: :bounce:

I'm in no hurry to move the double stump, so when is your next off day>:D

Al33

Part V

Thought I would get an decent early start today and see if I could pull the double stumps up on the high ground with my Trooper. I raked the pile of stump shavings down hoping it would help and wrapped a logging chain around it which was loaned to me by Missing Ridge. While doing so a green jeep passed and honked. I suspected it was out very own Ta-ton-ka chips. Just as I had started my trooper to start dragging, Ta-ton-ka pulled in. After our greetings and a little demo of the monster splitter, he guided me in the dragging effort. Despite 4 wheel drive, my street tires spun in the loose dirt and debris after getting it only so far. Ta-ton-ka suggested hooking my Trooper up to his Jeep so we both could pull. IT WORKED :banana: , like a charm. A little celebrating and Ta-ton-ka had to go to work. THANKS, big time!!! :clap:

Once again, as has happened so many times before, a Woodyite or two steps up to the plate and helps another out. This site has been great to me over the years. I have benefited from it in more ways than I can count.

My ol’ dog Tex to advantage of the cool dirt exposed by the drag.

Attachments

• firewood26.jpg
    firewood26.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 380

Al33

I discovered the two stumps were not joined as bad as I had thought. Mostly what I was looking at was vines, and once I had them removed I saw that I could likely get them apart. This pic shows a good clump of the vines removed and sitting on top.

Attachments

• firewood24.jpg
    firewood24.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 325

Al33

The stumps were connected at the bottom, but with some wedges and my go-devil I was able to separate them completely.

Attachments

• firewood27.jpg
    firewood27.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 345

Al33

I counted 76 rings in one of the stumps, but I could be off by a couple either way.

Attachments

• firewood25.jpg
    firewood25.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 322

RWK

When i was young and dumb i would spilt 24-25 face cord by hand. I think now that im vintage im paying for it. Rich