Neat find on our new lease

Capt Quirk

That's in a lot better condition than the sharecropper's shack we found on our property-
picture.php

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
This may be a ridiculous idea but it almost looks like the house was moved there or has been raised up or something. I can't imagine anybody building a house on top of such a shakey foundation.

That`s the way a lot of houses were built back then.

Watch your step, might be an old well around there too.

Very good point!

Darkhorse

Back in the day we used to find a lot of old houses in the Mid-Ga. woods. Old times weren't that far gone back then. This was before all the land was owned by the Timber Co.s and most was still held by the original families. Old structures don't hold up well to logging skitters.
Large rockpiles made the foundations. Floors had to be off the ground to keep out water and moisture. A lot of those small rock piles were added later to shore up weak spots or to level the structure when it aged. A lot of the poor country folk didn't have access to large jacks and brick.
That inside fireplace is most unusual.

WolfPack

Banned
That is a neat find!

I challenge you to stay overnight in it!! LOL....The ghosts might give you some clues. :hair:

fishingtiger

reminds me of the old share cropper farm houses on my dads tobacco farm in SC. Amazing that there are still people that live in houses that dont look too much improved over that one.

Gentleman4561

Awesome Find!

reel2rifle

High foundations

Cool place. My dad, born 12/1928, told me years ago that they built house high back then because burning was a coming practice every year. That way your house did not burn down if the fire got out of hand.He also said the yard was mostly sand because they sweep the yard to keep the grass from growing. No grass, no fire. Funny because the last barn my grand daddy built was burned by a out of control fire by the yahoo next door. They were alot smarter than we are today... We found a bank statment from the turn of century which he was getting 12% interest on his money. Can u imagine that today... One other thing we found around 1996 in his old house. A double barrel reciever only in the wall. If that thing could talk, I am sure justice was handed down in way we could not understand today.

sleepr71

Early 1900's-30's structure..I think. Got one near my house that's similar(albeit smaller) & built the same. Grandma said it was built in the '20's. Funny these days...to see daylight through the walls,floors and roof w/a fireplace on each end of the room. Grandma said in winter the kids slept together near the fireplace w/a warm brick in their blanket to keep 'em warm. Had to tote their water about 200 yds. from an artesian well:eek: Nowadays people complain when "their" foodstamps & WIC is a day late now:banginghe. Sleepr71.