New Kennel

SLC23

thanks , i want to breed blue ticks. wouldnt concrete hurt there feet. and is it easy to register dogs. are your kennels inside a fence that you let them roam a little for excercise. do you sell your dogs or what. also do you breed dogs with papers

JuliaH

Hi :)

I have not had any sore feet. I also don't put bleach down without letting them out to play while I am doing that, and the kennels are rinsed carefully before the dog is back inside.

It has been very easy to register my litters, harder sometimes to get new owners to send in papers ;) I work with AKC and UKC, but all my dogs are AKC. Still working on getting them all double registered with UKC. My reasoning for UKC is that I may want to show them some, and the AKC shows are (for me) more intimidating for the novice owner/handler.

I don't have a fenced area but I definitely let them all out to play at least once a day, usually twice a day while I clean up after them and feed. I live way back off the road and have had no trouble with them staying within hollering distance to come back to their kennels :)

I would not breed dogs with no papers, period. If your chosen dogs have a registry, you need to use it. If they are AKC that is great... if not, then register with the registry that supports them. I believe in breeding only the best that I can... :)

Julia

thanks , i want to breed blue ticks. wouldnt concrete hurt there feet. and is it easy to register dogs. are your kennels inside a fence that you let them roam a little for excercise. do you sell your dogs or what. also do you breed dogs with papers

SLC23

thanks do you actualy make money or do you take a loss

is it a rewarding hobby

do you have a full time job

JuliaH

I am almost 64 (Feb will be my 64th) so I work part time and care for my dogs.

I do make money... but without my part time job I would not make ends meet. We do shots, deworming and keep those up to date. We have tails to be docked and dewclaws to be removed and those are done by veterinarians.

It is very rewarding! I have watched pups go into good homes, and I have retained a few for training as bird dogs. Most of my buyers have been folks who want the pups to be trained as bird dogs... a few have gone to pet homes. Never have I had a problem with my new "families" not caring for their new babies...which is important to me :)

thanks do you actualy make money or do you take a loss

is it a rewarding hobby

do you have a full time job

JuliaH

I do advertise... some on forums, now and then in the newspapers. I have a good (as good as I can do as an amateur webmaster) website and have had a good number of contacts come from there... it is on my signature in emails and I have some hunting dog sites where I advertise...

I own only females as far as breeding is concerned. When I first started I wanted males, but I have found that it is better for me to breed to others' good dogs, pay a good stud fee, and have better babies than I could produce otherwise.

I am seriously interested in breeding the best I can, and that means breeding TO the best stud dogs I can :)

I do have a couple of male dogs, but one is for sale and the other is involved in getting titled now... and he will be sold as a finished hunter or for someone to finish if he does as well as I think he will :)

Julia

T

tuffdawg

SLC........ Julia gave you lots of information. Useful information at that.

Concrete does not hurt the dogs feet. And it helps with keeping their nails worn down and healthy.

I currently have my dogs on shavings.......... In the process of building new kennels...... and they will be similar to the pics posted here in this thread. :)

Breeding dogs does NOT produce profit. You would have to have more than three litters a year in order to clear an actual profit. If you are going to get into breeding...... You must do lots of research on your breed of choice......... pedigree research and so on. You should not breed dogs unless they are registered with some registry as no papers holds no value. Sad but true. Thats just the way the market is.

You should also educate yourself with the health issues associated with your breed of choice in order be aware, and to do the proper health testing. You should never breed ill, or out of standard dogs. You can ruin your name in this business alot quicker than you can build it.

Todd E

curdogs,

It looks good. I must say, I built one at our old home...along those same lines. I had four diff runs and they were 16' long. Tin roof....whole nine yds !! Looked just like yours except longer. It served the beagles well and they LOVED it.

Man..your pix bring back memories.

ejs1980

I butted my boards against the other. Not much space but enough. I would have prefered the horse panels ,maybe on the next set. Theses are working well so far.

I went by tractor supply saturday to get a few shots for my dogs and checked out the price on horse panel. It was 50 in march when I bought mine now it is 75. I'm getting ready to build some new kennels next spring. For the gutters you are talking about we've had good luck with cutting a third out of a 6 inch pvc pipe. gives you kind of a back wall so you don't spray everything right over the top of it.

T

tuffdawg

Ok, so we have been doing some research. The 2 x 4 welded horse wire looks like the route to take. It looks like the regular 2 x 4 wire..... but a MUCH thicker gage, and it is not sautered together, but actually continuously wrapped. It almost has the strength of a decent gaged chainlink. But very easy to cut, and stretch. :)

hope to hve my roof on by this weekend. Have a friend that erects metal buildings as his business, i get left over an dented sheets from him, saves alot of money. I had planned to uses piesces of gutter but the pipe sounds like an idea too.

SLC23

whats the best multi purpose hunting dog
and should i think aboutt breading something besides blue ticks

T

tuffdawg

SLC23, You should really request that a mod move all of your post, and our post in response to you....... and start your own thread. You will get alot more response to your questions. :) and we would be more willing to answer......... but see........... the original thread has been hijacked......... Out of respect to the original poster...... Some of us dont want to continue responding. :)

ejs1980

whats the best multi purpose hunting dog
and should i think aboutt breading something besides blue ticks

My personal opinion is if you want to breed hunting dogs you need to hunt them first or at least buy dogs that are already titled. What kind of dogs have you hunted? You really have to know the breed and enough about their performance to be able to make good breedings. If you are going to just pick a breed buy two dogs and breed them you would be better off picking a breed more suitable as a pet and breed them. As far as blue ticks or any other coonhound breed goes unless you competition hunt them and get some descent titles before you breed you really aren't going to get much for the pups.

T

tuffdawg

SLC23, pm gadeerwoman and she can handle it. Unless some other mods are on at the moment. :)

good looking keenel but that fence you got around it them dogs can bend and break it i have catahoulas and i used the same fence for mine and i'd find them running the yard when i got home hopefully you have better luck than i did with

dognducks

Banned
Are you going to try and seal the decking with any type of selant? I think it would make the wood less porrus and not hold as much stink

Wire and seal

I did seal it with thompsons deck seal and so far it is working well. Spary it down twice a day. The wire has not been a problem so far and I plan to keep pups in these kennels only. Next ones I build I will use the welded horse panels. Cost more but should last forever.