New to muzzleloaders and need some help

wandering cowboy

Where in the atlanta area is there a range that black powder is allowed. The closest one I know of is the one at Wilson shoals WMA and I will have to check if they allow them.
Anyone want to go target practice with a rookie and show him the ropes?

You can fire black powder at Wilson Shoals, Me and another gentlemen were doing so this last weekend. For a right handed rifle there are a good sleection of muzzleloaders out there around a $1000.
Nathan

Hoyt

Shark Hunter..I was pretty much in your situation a few yrs ago when I decided I wanted to start hunting spring gobblers with a flintlock.

I didn't know anything about them only that I wanted to use one to hunt with. I didn't care about the "PC" stuff..which means period correct...I think..still don't care about it...except that I wanted my gun to be as one would have been back then. I just wanted to hunt with the same type gun that that Daniel Boone and the boys did. I wanted to know first hand the challenge of using a flintlock.

I may one day go more into the PC direction with clothes..etc..but for now the gun and it's tools are what I'm interested in.

I didn't want to wait a yr and pay an arm an a leg to have someone build me one so I built one for myself. I built a 20ga. for gobblers using parts I got from Pecatonica and had never even shot a flintlock till I got it built. Tied the gun down behind a big pine tree and tied a string to the trigger for the first shot...didn't know if it would blow up or not.

Liked the flintlock so much had to have another one for deer..built a .54cal with parts from Pecatonica..before I got through decided I'd rather have a .58cal. lightweight for everything I'd hunt in America. So ordered parts from different suppliers and built it..my favorite. Now am working on another 20cal. for gobblers and am already wishing I was through with it so I can start one for hogs and squirrels..either a .36 or 40cal...probably a .36cal..so then I can need a .40cal..cause everybody needs one of them..then I can build a .32 just cause I don't have one.

If I had it to do again and could only have one gun for deer I'd go with the .58cal.

OconeeDan

I have a flintlock Lyman GPR that I made from a kit. I think for the money, they'll shoot as good as anything. My rifle will shoot about 2in groups at 50 yds from a rest. And it's as reliable as any, if you hog out the touch hole as Nic said. Try Midsouthshootersupply.com or MidwayUSA.com for good prices.
Many of the kits are junk, but there are some good ones too. Dixie has nice kits as well.
Make sure you get the slow twist barrel.
These kits cost about 300 or so, and everyone I have seen has nice wood. Brown the metal and you'll end up with a nice looking rifle.
Dan

Shark Hunter

oil

What do you use to moisten the patching cloth. I have heard oil, grease, and saliva. What do y'all use?

Is there a specific size ball for 50 cal?

How much primer is used?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
If I`m target practicin`, or firin` from the line, I spit patch. I only use this method if I`m gonna shoot right then.

In a huntin` situation, I`ll use rendered bear oil to grease the patch.

I knap my own flints. I have flints made from English, coastal plains, agatized coral, Indiana hornstone, Kentucky blue, Georgetown Texas, Edwards Plateau, Bay Branch, and Early County blue ice. Any good flint or chert source makes a good gunflint as long as it is not heat treated stone.

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
There are a ton of things people do different with muzzleloader, as you'll see. Experiment and use what best works for you.
I have a 45 cal. rifle that I use nothing but Thompson's Bore Butter on, to lube patches, bullets and to season the barrel. It will actually do as it say's it will do, season the barrel like a cast iron skillet, providing you use it regularly. I have experienced no rustin or any other problems useing this. I think it's a pretty good product.
I have a 62 cal. that I use nothing but "olive oil" on, patches, cleaning, etc. and have had no problems with any rust at all. This is the gun I use for all my 18th century living history programs and events, shoots etc. that I attend. Olive oil was used in the 18th cen. , as well as bear grease, or any other concoction you can come up with. It actually works pretty decent, beleive it or not.
I take a peice of cloth, the correct thickness for my patching and wash it, dry it, then pour and work into the cloth the olive oil. I have a thin strip of leather tied to my strap on my shooting bag, to this strip of leather I fasten my patch material, a strip about 2" x 7"
I cut my patches when I load, I don't use precut patches. These strips of patching have lasted for a year without having to be resoaked with the oil. I place the end over the muzzle, seat the ball flush with the muzzle, use my belt knife to cut the patching off flush, then ram the ball down, letting the patching material fall away, as it is tied to the bag strap. It's really handy and not a bad way to do it. After a few times you get the hang of it and it becomes second nature. What ever you use, make sure your cleaning process is compatible with your lubes and oils. Uaslly just a good cold soapy water, then rinse with cold water, will take out any thing in the bore, then clean dry patches, then your bore lube.

Each barrel will be a "little bit different then the next, inside diameter. You can take your gun to a smith and he can miche (mike) the barrel for you. That will tell you your bore size and what size ball to use. Then you decide on what thickness patches you'll need for a round ball, there are a couple different sizes. Conical bullets will not require a patch, just a little lube.

I put enough powder in the pan to half fill it, that is usally enough. You can fill the pan completely if you so desire, it won't hurt a thing. Just a bigger flash out in front of you, that's all.

I like the black english flints, knapped, not cut. The yellow french flints are a bit weak in my opinion. Always get the "knapped" flints too, as opposed to the "cut" flints. They look like someone cut them out with a saw, sort of a flat square shaped. With a little practice and the right tool, you can put a new sharp edge on your flints when they become worn.
Jerald

Shark Hunter

Thanks, I really appreciate the help. That is the kind of info I really need.
Where can I buy flints? How can I put a sharp edge on them?
Where can I buy ffff powder?
I looked at bass pro and they were out of ffff powder and no flint.
What is a chert?

OconeeDan

You'll get a different answer from each person.
I use Hoppe's Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lubricant to lube the patches.
I use English flints, found at Track of the Wolf or other places.
Dan

OconeeDan

For powder, you need to find a place that holds a license. If Bass Pro was out, and they can get it, then have them order some.
OR, get with someone that goes to rendevous or civil war reenactments, there is usually a vendor there.
You'll have to watch someone knap a flint to see how. Chert is a rock found in Ga that could make spark, but not ideal. I'll let someone else with more knowledge jump in.
Buy flints from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gunworks, buy a bunch at a time and you'll be glad.

fflintlock

You can get powder and flints from Deer Creek Gunshop in Merrietta, the're on 280 Fairground st. S. E. 770-425-5060.
He's got a lot of stuff in there too, from guns, right down to stuff to build guns, ball, powder, flints, etc. you name it, he's got it.

Shark Hunter

Deer Creek

Yea, I went by there just before they closed today and they had the ffffg and the flints I needed.

This flintlock shooting has gotten me really excited about gun season again. It was becoming somewhat boring due to how easy it is to kill deer with a modern rifle.

fflintlock

Can I ask you why you want 4FFFF powder. That type would best be suited to 32, 36 cal. or pistols or revolvers.
Ah yes, the dreaded "black powder" bug ;) Once you have been bitten, there's no going back.
Perhaps one day, maybe, we can have a "Woody's fflintlock shoot" some where at one of the ranges. Everyone can meet up, put some faces with names and do some shoot'n, both guns and bull LOL !!
What'cha ya'll think about that ?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Can I ask you why you want 4FFFF powder. That type would best be suited to 32, 36 cal. or pistols or revolvers.
Ah yes, the dreaded "black powder" bug ;) Once you have been bitten, there's no going back.
Perhaps one day, maybe, we can have a "Woody's fflintlock shoot" some where at one of the ranges. Everyone can meet up, put some faces with names and do some shoot'n, both guns and bull LOL !!

Long as we got a fire, coffee pot, meat to cook, and a trade blanket, I`m all for it! How`s February sound?

Shark Hunter

I bought it for priming the pan.

What loads do you shoot?
what are the max loads for 50 cal in fffg and ffg?

Shark Hunter

Long as we got a fire, coffee pot, meat to cook, and a trade blanket, I`m all for it! How`s February sound?

I think fflintlock is on to something. I like that idea. I can make it pretty much anytime. Febuary works, but that is a long time away. Though it would give us some time to get a pretty good group up.

Darkhorse

A get together sounds good but I have hard time makeing those. I have too much work to do around here and a full time job to boot.
If the get together don't work how about the annual Rondevous at Brushy Creek? I plan to be there this year.
I'd like to do a flintlock group hunt sometime.

fflintlock

Well heck, let's plan it, we'll call it the,
"Woody's Flinter Camp"
This weekend sometime, I'll start another thread for it, or, one of you can start it, what ever, let's just do it ! ;)
I think it would be a HOOT !
Ken Purdy, you ready ?